Does anyone else dislike the "ripped" look?

Options

Replies

• addisondisease2
    addisondisease2 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I personally think there is a gap we don't see between the pictures in the media, and what the "ripped" model actually does. I have a good feeling that all these"ripped" girls don't work out because they only want to look great. But that they actually really enjoy working out, and looking "ripped" is just a perk.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Different strokes for different folks.it is what makes us human. I do have a problem with magazines implying we should all look like that. I am old and I don't have the energy to look like that. I will settle for being healthy.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I personally think there is a gap we don't see between the pictures in the media, and what the "ripped" model actually does. I have a good feeling that all these"ripped" girls don't work out because they only want to look great. But that they actually really enjoy working out, and looking "ripped" is just a perk.

Naw, I workout to get ripped, I hate working out though LOL. Chicks dig a ripped body, not so much watching a man grunt and sweat and damn near shart himself squatting heavy.
  • JMarigold
    JMarigold Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Honestly, it really depends on how you define "ripped." I like seeing some small to medium muscle definition. I think it gives the owner of the body an aura of strength and determination. In addition, it can be very attractive.

However, the "look" that body builders usually have to cultivate in order to compete in fitness competitions, I do NOT find attractive. Rest assured though that these competitors do not look like that on a regular basis. To get to that state they have to shed as much fat and water as possible so the judges can see their muscles in stark definition. As another poster said, I do like the way the competitors look in their "off" season time. You can still see the muscles, but its much softer and more natural looking.

I won't ever look that way though! I want to be healthy but fitness competition level is not one my top goals in life.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

Naw, I workout to get ripped, I hate working out though LOL. Chicks dig a ripped body, not so much watching a man grunt and sweat and damn near shart himself squatting heavy.

What I can't admire the hotties lifting?

I admit I look and enjoy xD
    dat.jpg
  • Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Your not alone I don't really like it either. Not that I'm saying women with 6packs ect look bad. I'm just not aiming for that myself.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Ripped and strong is beautiful - and no girls don't use steriods to look that awesome - 99% just lift heavy and eat well :-)
  • WheyStrong
    WheyStrong Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I admire those who achieve the ripped look because of the amount of dedication and self-discipline one has to have in order to achieve that status.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I personally do not like the look on women whatsoever but then again that is just my opinion. I prefer a healthy look but young looking skin and even some extra thickness is what I prefer. That is just me though. I am not offended by it but I do not like the cut or ripped look even with a woman's abs. Sort of like blondes, I don't think they are ugly just not attracted in any way to them.

With dudes it is probably some retarded sense of jealousy and that is fine with me. I have known a few guys that were really into that look but just speaking from experience most guys that I knew focused way to much on that and not much on their personality or intelligence.
  • brittanyla077
    brittanyla077 Posts: 79 Member
    Options

Not all girls like that ;-)
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options

What I can't admire the hotties lifting?

I admit I look and enjoy xD
    dat.jpg

You're an exception LOL
    Oh, and if you were training at my gym, there would be a lineup of men scoping you out, biting their lip just like the pic you posted LOL
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Options

You saying some women like a beer belly?
  • brittanyla077
    brittanyla077 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I like big guys no muscles Celt arms...muscles are not cuddly I'm even wanting my hubby to gain a few lbs and he's 215.... course he's 6'4" too
  • skir927
    skir927 Posts: 61 Member
    Options

Yup, some of us do. ;) For me personally, I like seeing my body get more and more defined and muscular, and I applaud those who put in the work to get ripped. :)
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Lean, curvy and muscular looks healthy to me. That's the look I like.
  • alegrria72
    Options
    While I haven't put too much thought into women being ripped I must say I like my men with a little cushion. I do appreciate big strong arms and legs but six packs kinda creep me out. lol If thats you're thing more power to you, go get it!
  • Clarecbear82
    Clarecbear82 Posts: 369 Member
    Options

Yep we do! My man doesn't have a beer belly (he doesn't drink) but he's cuddly. I would like him to lose a bit of weight for his health but wouldn't want him all ripped.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Also what else do you expect to be promoted in fitness circles, fitness magazines, and TV?
  • michellebd1980
    Options
    I just wondered if I am in the minority, or if others are not thrilled with the "ripped look" that is being promoted so much in fitness circles, on magazines and TV shows these days?

It was bad enough when men had that standard to live up to, but now I am seeing more and more fitness magazines featuring cover poses of women in bikinis that look as "ripped" as some of the men. I am not jealous, and I would not want to have that ripped, not an ounce of fat anywhere look if I could snap my fingers and make it happen.

I am within the normal weight range for my height, and would not mind losing a few pounds of tummy fat and maybe having a bit more muscle definition, but I have no desire to look like those Amazon women, who are most likely taking steroids to get that hard, 6-pack abs look.

Personally, I think a softer, less "ripped" look look is more attractive on both men and women.

Opinions?

To each their own! I'm wanting to have some definition when I get down to my goal weight.... For me, I don't wanna be really ripped.
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    I admire those who achieve the ripped look because of the amount of dedication and self-discipline one has to have in order to achieve that status.

Dedication and self-discipline driven by vanity...
    When I was single I remember the muscular gym rat guys as being sort of self-absorbed, to put it mildly. I'd take an intelligent and kind man over one who was merely "ripped" any day!