Almond Milk

Options
124»

Replies

• MrsBAT
    MrsBAT Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My daughter has a dairy sensitivity and so she only drinks almond milk. With coupons and sales, we usually get it at the same price as cow's milk. I actually prefer the Almond Breeze almond and coconut milk blend for myself. 60 calories per 8 ounce serving.

I want to try that! I saw it the last time I picked up a carton of almond milk, but I didn't get it because I wasn't sure how it would taste.
  • Emilia6909
    Emilia6909 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Make your own and then at least, you'll know what has gone into it!
    Recipe:

1 cup almonds soaked overnight, drained and rinsed in the morning

In a food processor or liquidizer, add 1 litre water to the almonds, seeds from 1 vanilla pod & 5 dates. Whizz until as smooth as can be. Strain through milk bag (made from netting fabric). Keep in fridge for up to 4 days. So silky and delicious. I love adding it to smoothies or have it with chai seeds & banana.

Keep the fibre for baking cookies! :wink:
  • jessica3412
    Options
    it's actually the best thing ever. 40 calories a cup and it tastes better than normal milk, not to mention it doesn't come out of a cow.
  • YogiGirlLucy
    Options
    i like the unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Although, ever since I discovered Trader's Joe unsweetened coconut milk, I prefer it. However, since I still have a case of the former that I purchased at Costco, I alternate and enjoy both of them.

I agree with the posters who don't drink cow's milk because of the hormones, although I do put a tiny splash in my Pero hot drink since it's does really work with the almond or coconut milk, and I figure that tiny bit isn't going to do much harm. But Ido completely stay away from Soy, because it's not good for us, especially women.

Lucy :)
  • Emilia6909
    Emilia6909 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    But Ido completely stay away from Soy, because it's not good for us, especially women.

Why is that? Never knew it wasn't good for us. :frown:
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    But Ido completely stay away from Soy, because it's not good for us, especially women.

Why is that? Never knew it wasn't good for us. :frown:
    Theres another thread I linked on the first page that mentions the reasons theres also lots of scientific studies you can look up on google scholar. Summary? Lots of nutrients but with bad side effects when eatten regularly and you likely are if you eat bread bagels or muffins or many otger things (see links in other thread)
    Id copy but im on my phone
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    [ I keep hearing about it, but what is it? Is it better than normal milk? I usually use 1% milk, but I'm curious about this. Is that Silk? ]
    I keep hearing about it, but what is it? Is it better than normal milk? I usually use 1% milk, but I'm curious about this. Is that Silk?
    I'm a convert.. silk vanilla almond milk... good stuff.

sadly i realized too late I bought sweetened vanilla. I meant to try the lowest calorie one... that would be unsweetened for 45 calories per cup,,,,,,, anybody like it??
    [/quote]
    finally bought the right stuff. silk original almond milk.. no vanilla, not sweetened. it's the best. CONVERT
  • niki23poet
    niki23poet Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I used to love almond milk until I realized how much soy was in it. I avoid soy for multiple reasons like soy is EXTREMELY HIGH in pesticides and it can mess up a woman's natural cycle. Instead, I use coconut milk. Organic, soy free, dairy free, etc...you have to be willing to sacrifice a few calories since it's up there but it is a much needed healthy fat that is well worth the sacrifice.
  • JoJo_fat2fab
    JoJo_fat2fab Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I won't touch cow's milk. Almond milk is so delicious.

YES! This ^^
  • dinkybabygirl
    Options
    I used to love almond milk until I realized how much soy was in it. I avoid soy for multiple reasons like soy is EXTREMELY HIGH in pesticides and it can mess up a woman's natural cycle. Instead, I use coconut milk. Organic, soy free, dairy free, etc...you have to be willing to sacrifice a few calories since it's up there but it is a much needed healthy fat that is well worth the sacrifice.

Precisely why I make my own almond milk so that I KNOW what is in it and what is NOT. Also soooo much cheaper to make it myself. Love it!
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options

Precisely why I make my own almond milk so that I KNOW what is in it and what is NOT. Also soooo much cheaper to make it myself. Love it!

i looked again... and can't find soy listed in ingredients on silk almond milk.......where am i missing it??
  • crhunt123
    crhunt123 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is delicious and Healthy! Silk and Blue Diamond both make it. Some stores even sell their own store brand version of it. Unsweetened is about 35 calories a cup. I buy original which is about 60 calories a cup. The heavily sweetened and chocolate versions are around 120 calories a cup. The best part is that it has double the calcium and vitamins of cow's milk. I highly recommend it! Good Luck!
  • Bod4GodAnnice
    Bod4GodAnnice Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I use Silk Pure Almond mostly to make smoothies and cereal. I love milk, but I can't drink this. I go for the 1% for drinking and cooking. Silk Pure Almond has 60 calories per cup and has less sugar. Also it last much longer than cow's milk.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

i looked again... and can't find soy listed in ingredients on silk almond milk.......where am i missing it??

Nowhere, I'm pretty sure it doesn't have it.

First: Soy is a bean, how do you know that all soy has pesticides? It's also very rich in nutrients but yes to much of it is a very bad thing (and it's basically in every grained thing at the grocery store plus many sauces etc so one generally doesn't need to add more to their diet).

Second: Blue diamond (almond breeze) does not have soy listed as an ingredient and on the front it says "Soy Free". Why would they put soy milk in almond milk? Wouldn't that make it "Soy and Almond milk"?