Dog keeps interupting my work outs!

Options

Replies

• Pookylou
    Pookylou Posts: 988 Member
    Options
    Yup, mine likes to lick me when I am sweating, pretty difficult to maintain plank with a small pooch licking your arm pit.... She likes to climb on top of me when I do crunches, and sits underneath me while I am in downward facing dog (I try not to squish her when I get down).... She is a joy :laugh:
    She has been doing C25K with me but given her a break now the runs are long without breaks
  • fimary
    fimary Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Have a dog and he does the same thing when i lie on the floor to do crunches he thinks i am coming to play, lies on me and licks my face.
  • Imahottmess
    Options
    I have 3, a great dane, a german shepherd, and a dachshund. They all think its play time when I start to work out. It's even more fun since I work out with the Xbox kinect and it will sense the dogs walking in front of it. I usually put my pups outside, but we have a fenced in yard.
  • Andylee63
    Andylee63 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    We have three dogs, sadly lost one in November...:sad:

I have to shut them out of the lounge before I start exercising, I exercise while they are all asleep on the sofa
  • LauRoxx
    LauRoxx Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Mine is a cat but anytime I stretch she gets under me and flops over for me to rub on her

Ditto!!! I absolutely cannot stretch if a cat is in the room, they make it absolutely impossible... and hairy! haha
  • kkjay
    kkjay Posts: 62
    Options
    It's nice to know my dogs aren't the only ones who enjoy ruining my workouts! I have 2, and both of them think it's playtime when I workout. I've come up with two solutions, shutting the basement door (if that's where I am) or take them for a walk. Tiring their butts out makes them sleepy... and they stop bothering me after that haha, plus I get more exercise that way.
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    This is what I see when I do crunches (taken from my camera phone)

089.jpg

He also licks my ears and tries to lift me up when I do pushups.

LOL! This is what I see, too! Whenever I'm on the mat, she starts kissing me!
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the thread at all...

But it seems common sense to me.... lock him out of the room... problem solved.

That wouldn't fly with my dog. She'd cry and howl if I did that!
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    My cats are not innocent bystanders. They like to get on my stomach and just lay there while I do my situps. Then if I move around to much, they sink their claws into my abs to let me know they were not done laying on me.
  • EllaScarlet
    EllaScarlet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness so true!! It's not so much that my dog interrupts my workouts, but that I feel guilty if I work out without him. He is a 1 year old Patterdale with A LOT of energy so I am starting to take him running with me as long as it is off road stuff. So sometimes I think 'I want to go for a bike ride... but then I have to leave the dog at home... so I better go running instead.'

Oh well - having him skip along next to me makes runs a lot more fun :)))

PS if you don't know what a Patterdale is then look at the dog picture on my profile - the one that isn't a Lab!!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    When I first started working out my Vizsla would try to get in the way. I think he thought something was wrong. Now he just lays on the couch and watches. This morning while I was doing Insanity he stood up from the couch and slowly walked to the other side of the room - with a guilty look on his face. Then the smell hit me. It was so nasty that I was looking around on the ground for a big steaming pile. Thank god he had only farted but it was really nasty and it lingered for about 5 minutes. Which is bad enough under normal circumstances but 1000 times worse when you're already breathing hard.
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    try it with a 200 # Great Dane.
  • alexandria412
    alexandria412 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    We intermittently have foster kittens, who like to lay on my back while I'm doing plank. It's adorable and awesome.
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Yes they make it very difficult. I have a pomeranian that thinks if I am down on the floor that must mean it is time for kisses. Also have an english mastiff that thinks she must sit right by me to protect me from the pomeranian. Heaven forbid one to get attention the other might miss out on.

I gave up and just go to the gym.
  • monalissanne
    monalissanne Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Try doing the 30 Day Shred with an 18 pound Shih Tzu jumping on your face when you go down for abs! In fact, I can't sit on the floor for anything without her jumping all over me and freaking out.
  • LilRedRooster
    LilRedRooster Posts: 1,421 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I put the dogs outside. I have an Australian Shepard, and a Catahoula, so they would get in the way, since they're large and in change, but they can just go outside and run around without me, and still have a great time.

It's the toddler that I have issues with. And if I just put her outside, someone would disapprove. And she's rather vocal if I ignore her. Actually, she even throws things at me. Naptimes are miracle time for me.
  • monalissanne
    monalissanne Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the thread at all...

But it seems common sense to me.... lock him out of the room... problem solved.

Unless yours is like mine and if you lock her out of the room, she body slams herself against the door until you get her out.
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    A pug and 2 daschunds. I usually work out at the gym but on the occassions I do a DVD at home, its just too early for them to be bothered. They all sleep under blankets under the couches while I'm jumping around sweating like pig. They occassionally give me the hairy eyeball, like really? do you know how silly you look? :wink:

Thye get their "workout" in the afternoon, take them for an hour walk every single day, weather permitting. Last year they walked over 200 miles!!! That's a lot of walking for those short little legs. :bigsmile:
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I have two dogs. My lab just lays on the couch but my doxie always has to be right next to me, which can be a problem when you're moving around a lot and don't notice him. When we had a treadmill at the house, he used to jump on it to try and work out with me. We have since gotten rid of that but whenever I do floor work, he always comes over and gets in my face or tries to climb up on me. I tend to run at the gym now so I don't have that problem anymore. I also think it's funny that he gets on the scale after I do. I guess he's really invested in his workouts. :)
  • labmother
    Options
    I have 4 labradors (story behind the nickname;) I usually take them for a long walk before I do my exercise. Good way to tire them out and a good warm up for me. Otherwise they would think its playtime. But one of the dogs never gets tired, and never learn. He tryes to stop the weel on my stationary bike with his nose. Tg he cant get to it, but he never stops trying:)