Definition of "buff" via a woman + attractiveness

Options

Replies

• Chloe_Chaos_
    Chloe_Chaos_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    of course it's not wrong. i have a feeling you know that. check out a superhero, admired by many of us here. she's motivating and buff (yes, buff):

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

I actually read this earlier today! She's awesome!
    Sometimes I just want confirmation (regardless of which side of the fence a person is on) that indeed I am right to push forward and push myself to the limit.

We only live once, right? Why not make it an amazing once?
  • Chloe_Chaos_
    Options
    BTW grapenut SF, you have an AMAZING back and arms.
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    This is the first one you posted
    122019471123878890_kHaz009b_f.jpg
    and totally what I would love too look like!

ETA: my legs bulk up easier than my upper body, so I'm trying to keep it even. I don't want do be totally defined. Have no want for a six pack, just want to see arm muscles mostly. :)
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with pushing yourself. It's your body, your choice. Can't wait to see your after pics.
  • Chloe_Chaos_
    Options
    This is the first one you posted
    122019471123878890_kHaz009b_f.jpg
    and totally what I would love too look like!

ETA: my legs bulk up easier than my upper body, so I'm trying to keep it even. I don't want do be totally defined. Have no want for a six pack, just want to see arm muscles mostly. :)

I am EXACTLY like that! My quads have already began to lean out (I can do leg presses forever) but I am trying to work my glutes, arms, and back more so they can get where I want to be. I already see the different in my arms as they are becoming more tone, I'm hoping the fact that I lift a lot will help me burn fat though. My mid section is where I have all of my weight, mostly the "muffin top" area. I gotta work on that more, still trying to find good exercises for that area.
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I'm like that too.. I want to get rid of my muffin top and lil pouch on the front. Otherwise its about gaining strength and stamina to me.
  • JadeRabbit08
    JadeRabbit08 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    That first pic is exactly what inspires me oh and my avatar pic.

I love the idea of being strong and capable.

Go for it!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    I wish when I was 22 I had the same goal as you. I was young and just didn't care.
    Go for it! You're gonna be a super babe!
  • Chloe_Chaos_
    Options
    I wish when I was 22 I had the same goal as you. I was young and just didn't care.
    Go for it! You're gonna be a super babe!

Thanks Jennifer. I figure that I was never the "hot" skinny girl in high school, but I could be the hot fit and healthy girl as I graduate college.
  • Luthorcrow
    Options
    Mostly I just want to know (regardless of what your preference of body image is), is it wrong for me to want people to see my physique and be motivated by me? Is it wrong for me to want to be a normal girl but "buff" "toned" or whatever your definition might be?

I think your boyfriend was being silly. Of course women can be buff. I actually thought all three women you post looked fine. Keep in mind the last women was in competitive shape and obviously does not maintain that low of a level of body fat year round. Aside from the rare (genetic or juiced) extreme female body builder that look more male than female (rare exception, most female body builders actually look very feminine), it's all good.

Personally, when a woman can look super fit, it's definitely impressive because it is much hard to achieve given the genders carry body fat. For a guy, it is just way easier. I mean our essential body fat can go below 5%, that's just not fair. ;)

By the way, I thought your "plank" demonstration between the two boats in your profile is pretty impressive.
  • Luthorcrow
    Options
    of course it's not wrong. i have a feeling you know that. check out a superhero, admired by many of us here. she's motivating and buff (yes, buff):

http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Great article. I think that should be a most read for women thinking about lifting. Seeing just how fit and feminine she lookse while developing some series strength is impressive.
  • sammanchester
    sammanchester Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I had the same exact argument yesterday with an ex boyf, I said I was hoping for muscle definition, he said that he thought that was really unattractive and would prefer to see bones as a sign of slimness...that rules him out of him ever seeing me naked again...I want to be stronggggggg (though not pumped...but obviously YOU understand the difference :) ) x
  • realsolarina
    Options
    I agree ^^ Staci looks great, really toned without losing her feminine side. For me, the pics you posted are just a little too far on the muscular side, but I totally support you wanting to do it - it's about being what you want to be and pushing yourself to get there.

I love seeing pics of celebs where their legs are really defined (think Gywnneth Paltrow when she went workout crazy for Iron Man) with a great curve above the knee, and their arms are taut and shapely. For me, some of Madonna's pics are a bit scary these days, especially her arms, but again, it's personal preference.

Go for it! Looking forward to seeing your before and after pics :)
  • Chloe_Chaos_
    Options
    I had the same exact argument yesterday with an ex boyf, I said I was hoping for muscle definition, he said that he thought that was really unattractive and would prefer to see bones as a sign of slimness...that rules him out of him ever seeing me naked again...I want to be stronggggggg (though not pumped...but obviously YOU understand the difference :) ) x

100%, but even if I desired to look like a body builder my boyfriend's only response should be "get it done!" because it isn't his body and I'm not looking for approval of men, I'm looking for self approval.
  • realsolarina
    Options

Prefer to see bones?! Whoa, glad he's an ex boyf
  • Chloe_Chaos_
    Options
    I think your boyfriend was being silly. Of course women can be buff. I actually thought all three women you post looked fine. Keep in mind the last women was in competitive shape and obviously does not maintain that low of a level of body fat year round. Aside from the rare (genetic or juiced) extreme female body builder that look more male than female (rare exception, most female body builders actually look very feminine), it's all good.

Personally, when a woman can look super fit, it's definitely impressive because it is much hard to achieve given the genders carry body fat. For a guy, it is just way easier. I mean our essential body fat can go below 5%, that's just not fair. ;)

By the way, I thought your "plank" demonstration between the two boats in your profile is pretty impressive.

I think it was more of a "women SHOULDN'T be buff. But its disappointing that when you tell someone you are looking to get "buff" the automatic image seems to be a body builder woman with huge pecs and quads.

Thanks for the plank compliment lol. Crazy things happen when alcohol and a sombrero meet, hopefully this year I will have the same pic with a better body! lol
  • LittleMissDoll
    Options
    The only thing that bothers me about the super toned women, like the one in the second picture posted, Is that you can see the veins in her abdomen.. thats a bit of a "too far" point for me. but muscle definition is definitly one of my goals
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options

100%, but even if desired to look like a body builder my boyfriend's only response should be "get it done!" because it isn't his body and I'm not looking for approval of men, I'm looking for self approval.

Unfortunately, what anyone's response "should" be is entirely out of your control.

So, hopefully he and you make peace with your decision to do what YOU want to do for you :)
  • Chloe_Chaos_
    Options
    I agree ^^ Staci looks great, really toned without losing her feminine side. For me, the pics you posted are just a little too far on the muscular side, but I totally support you wanting to do it - it's about being what you want to be and pushing yourself to get there.

I love seeing pics of celebs where their legs are really defined (think Gywnneth Paltrow when she went workout crazy for Iron Man) with a great curve above the knee, and their arms are taut and shapely. For me, some of Madonna's pics are a bit scary these days, especially her arms, but again, it's personal preference.

Go for it! Looking forward to seeing your before and after pics :)

Personally Madonna looks like a skeleton with muscles. I think her definition makes her look older than she is but that's what SHE wants so it doesn't matter.

I just wish everyone could get to their end point without someone having to add their two cents but I guess...
    haters-gonna-hate-2.jpg
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options

100%, but even if desired to look like a body builder my boyfriend's only response should be "get it done!" because it isn't his body and I'm not looking for approval of men, I'm looking for self approval.

Unfortunately, what anyone's response "should" be is entirely out of your control.

So, hopefully he and you make peace with your decision to do what YOU want to do for you :)

ETA: It's going to be interesting to get my husband's reaction and acceptance (or lack of...) of my new physique when I get further into my strength training program and leangains IF'ing protocol. Wonder if he'll divorce me? :)