Working Moms vs. Stay at Home Moms

Options

Replies

• SONIA820
    SONIA820 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I always thought a stay at home mom is a working mom! She probably works harder than most do in their career!

:laugh: This is a joke and one that I am sick of hearing!

Only someone who has never had to do both would assume this to be true. Working moms do twice the work (at least) since most don't have the luxury of having someone else do the cooking, cleaning, laundry, shopping, homework help, shuttling kids to practice and activities, etc.

I may spend 8 hours a day at work, but I also spend another 8 hours or so doing the same stuff SAHMs get to spread out over the course of a whole day. I do most of my housework after the kids go to bed and before they get up in the morning, and that's only when I don't have a 10pm conference call - I try like hell not to waste the time we do have together - so the only times I am not with them is while they're at school or asleep!

Take a walk in my shoes someday - and maybe you'll change your mind.

+1.

Add to it that I am a single mom and also a full-time student. I *WISH* I could work OR be a full-time student OR be a full-time mom - instead of all 3.

A little perspective. You don't do ALL the things a SAHM mom does. She makes 3 meals in her kitchen, so she'll have 3 times the dishes of someone who just does dinner or a third more than someone who eats one meal outside of the home most days. She has children inside the home trashing the joint and cleans up after them, while the children in day care are trashing someone else's joint and then they (the staff or the kids) clean it up. I sub and the weeks I work 4-5 days a week my house is cleaner (because it doesn't get as messy) and I am more relaxed because i feel like I've gotten a break. The idea that working moms do twice is much simply isn't factual (unless you have in home care that doesn't clean up after themselves).

But the bottom line is this. Why waste time comparing these life situations? To make you feel better about your own choices? Each has their own line of guilt with it. Each has it's own brand of glory. Celebrate and support your friends in their situations. What do we give each other by telling the other that they're not as good as, not as hard of a worker, not as __________ as someone else. It's simply nothing more than grown up bullying.

I completely agree! I am a SAHM and I run a small daycare from home ( my three year crazy boy old plus TWO one year olds) almost every day except weekends. I also have two other boys that are at school during the day. My husband works so that I can be home to do all the family support projects that keep out house running smooth. For me, YES I do a TON during the day and I don't normally get to settle down and relax ( I mean really relax) until either nap time (if I can actually get EVERYONE to nap, which is rare) or bed time. FOR ME being a sahm is more of a mental drain. I am exhausted by the end of the day on a level that I can not express because I am fairly isolated. I don't miss the adult interaction EITHER though because that is mentally draining to listen to adults complain all day long. People forget how accomplished you feel some days if you get to pee in peace... :)
  • ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Tonight I was reading this article on the LA Times:

http://www.latimes.com/health/la-he-the-md-working-mom-20120213,0,2356974.story

It discusses the happiness of stay at home moms vs. working moms. The percentage is pretty much the same. Also, they look at the emotional health of the child and it's almost the same too (except for the "only negative effects were found with very intensive, full-time employment early on").

In addition, "Mothers who worked reported better overall health and fewer symptoms of depression than women who stayed at home."

So, can it be said that each person chooses what works best for them? If you work or stay at home, are you happy? How do you add in exercise?

Sadly, the percentage that said they were "happy with their lives" was only 36% for both stay at home and working mothers. :(

I'm just going to stick with the OP's questions:

I stayed home for the first year of each of my son's lives because my company offers a fabulous policy of keeping your health insurance in place while you're out under FMLA. I just saved up some cash so I would have some spending money while my husband took care of the big bills. = HAPPY

My oldest is now 9, I've been back to workfull time for a total of 7 years. Life became a little more hectic with the both of us working.= HAPPY

Then my husband became a SAHD when my youngest turned 3, { thank you economy}. We decided to have him stay home until the little one entered kindergarten. It definitely made life easier, but financially ~ not so much. = STILL HAPPY

My husband is working on getting back into the workforce, it should coincide with both boys being fulltime in school. There wil be some juggling, but it's time to stay saving for the future and that has been tricky on one income.

When do we squeeze in a workout? I hit the gym on my lunchbreak, my husband takes the boys to music lessons and I run and vice versa. I go to fitness classes after work, dinner & homework. I really didn't do much for fitness until the boys were older and their needs lessoned.
  • SONIA820
    SONIA820 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    My best friend offered an interesting perspective. She's been a SAHM for over 6 years. Her first child is a social butterfly and needed to be challenged. So, she went to school at age 2. However, her youngest child requires a LOT of mommy's attention. My friend decided to wait a 1-2 years before introducing the youngest to school. In assessing her decision, she stated that it came down to one simple fact: all children are different. She had to learn the preferences of each child and make decisions accordingly.

What a smart mama! :)
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I always thought a stay at home mom is a working mom! She probably works harder than most do in their career!

:laugh: This is a joke and one that I am sick of hearing!

Only someone who has never had to do both would assume this to be true. Working moms do twice the work (at least) since most don't have the luxury of having someone else do the cooking, cleaning, laundry, shopping, homework help, shuttling kids to practice and activities, etc.

I may spend 8 hours a day at work, but I also spend another 8 hours or so doing the same stuff SAHMs get to spread out over the course of a whole day. I do most of my housework after the kids go to bed and before they get up in the morning, and that's only when I don't have a 10pm conference call - I try like hell not to waste the time we do have together - so the only times I am not with them is while they're at school or asleep!

Take a walk in my shoes someday - and maybe you'll change your mind.

This!!!!!!! However I do believe that whatever you choose is your choice. I don't look down upon sahm's but alot sure look down on me because there is no way in hell I could stay at home! But that is me. I would be so unhappy and that would transfer to my kids. I was soooo ready to go back to work after my mat leaves of 1 year.
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    My biggest belief: Do what works for you and your family!! Ignore studies. Your happiness, your kids happiness and your budget are all that should matter.

I can't afford to work outside the home - it's as simple as that. If my hubby had more regular hours I'd love to work outside the home part-time around his schedule some. However as it is child care costs would be more then my income so I chose to work at home. It's not perfect, but no matter what you do as a mom perfection isn't the goal. Your goal is to spend good time with your kids, not feel like crying every single day over your choice and put food on the table.

Exactly!!
    In my situation I HAVE to work outside because my husband is on disability and Im the main source of income and I go to school as well but it is nice having him home all the time since Im gone alot. I did stay at home with my younger 2 kids until they started preschool and I have my summers off now since I work in education so that is nice
  • ImSoPerfectlyFlawed
    Options
    128746663579718350.jpg

LOL, my thoughts EXACTLY
  • ndbex
    ndbex Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I wish people would stop bringing up this debate over and over again on every internet site. There is no winner here. It's whatever you have to do to take care of your family. It's whatever is good for your family. There is no "this mom versus this mom." All moms who love and care for their children are great, whether they stay home or not. No one is going to win BEST MOM OF THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE award because there is no actual competition. End. Of. Story.
  • CNParker
    CNParker Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I was a SAHM for the first 5 yrs now my daughter is in school. I enjoy working and being home equally. When I was at home I was in a playgroup and had mommy's night out occasionally. I felt well rounded. I wasn't socially deprived or depressed. I'm happy with my life. It makes me sad that such a low percent of people are happy with their lives.
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I don't see where a SAHM is NOT working !!!!! I was one of them for many years. I am now working due to family situation. We should all have the opportunity to stay at home and see how much goes into being a full-time wife and mother.

I am a full time wife and mother and I work as welll. We never stop being a wife/mother. I work because we need the health insurance. Completely off topic- but isn't it funny that the majority of people against the Nationwide healthcare are the ones saying that mother should be at home with the kids not in the work force?
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I did both. Stay at home is harder. You lose yourself. For years I had trouble putting a sentence together when I was around adults.
    Went to school at 36 with 4 kids. Best move I ever made.

I am with you. I admire and respect the ladies that choose to stay at home, if that is what they want to do, but it was not for me.

I stayed at home until my two kids were in pre-school and kindergarten, but I wasn’t happy not using my brain, so I went back to school. It was not easy but I did it, I even worked part time at the University for two years until I graduated. I got a lot of criticism for doing that, especially from my mother in law. But I had my husband support and my own determination, so I completely disregarded what other people said and thought.

I worked full time near the house until the kids were in HS, and then I got a much better job in a big company few miles away from the house.

I worked full time until I retired, and I loved being able to use my degree and experience, and to meet and interact with people. I also felt secure with my financial independence. My husband always had a good paying job, so I was not in financial distress, but the extra income allowed us to get a better house, nice vacations, and help our kids financially when they needed.

My two daughters in law are also working mothers, and my grandchildren are beautiful and well behaved and educated, and the parents spent a lot of quality time with them.

So ladies, let’s accept each other and less respect our differences, intellects, and preferences. Just think what the world would be if every woman will stay at home after having children (back to the dark ages….).
  • mamajillian
    Options
    I've been a stay at home mom for almost 5 years. I love it! It can be very challenging to get my workouts in when I have 2 little ones with me almost all the time. But I want to be a fit & healthy example to my children. They need to see that being healthy is a priority. To stay sane we get out of the house almost every day. We go to playdates, the park, shopping...We all do better if we get out for some fresh air! Sometimes I think it might be easier to be a working mom...I could go to the gym alone on lunch breaks and not have to worry about meeting the needs & wants of a 4 & 1 year old all day..sometimes that sounds nice. But I would be a worried wreck missing so much of their day. I love seeing my kids all the time!
  • NancySDA
    NancySDA Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It all depends on what YOU can handle, what you WANT to handle...and how you interact with your children. If you are working yet carry home stress to them then they get the idea that working out there is crap. If you work and come home and spend time with them and communicate with them well and give them the support they need then they will think that working out there is a good thing to do. However, on the other hand, if you are staying home with them and not really paying attention to them, yelling at them, etc then that isn't working either. It really shouldn't matter which you do...work out or stay home...as long as your children are getting time, attention, and support from you. I have done both. And while my kids have ALWAYS gotten lots of time, attention, guidance and support from me, I was less stressed when I quit my job to be home with them and now that they are older (college and a jr. in HS) I will be less stressed if I can go back out there and work. I now need more for ME and would like to help them with college finances. They are smart, well adjusted, and well behaved. No drugs, drinking or deviant behavior.
  • NancySDA
    NancySDA Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    "I stayed at home until my two kids were in pre-school and kindergarten, but I wasn’t happy not using my brain,"

I am hoping that you meant you were not happy not using your brain IN THE CONTEXT OF HOW YOU HAD TO FOR YOUR CAREER. Taking care of a household and teaching children is not being brain dead. And if i felt that I needed outside adult interaction, that is when I got involved in PTA, church work, other volunteer opportunities. Most of those things (PTA, for example) is like working in a big corporation. Other organizations that support the schools are also quite a business prospect!

I was a teacher for over 10 years but then I quit working to raise my kids when my husband's career needed us to move...every 2 years. I provided that needed stability for our children and our home. but I also found volunteer opportunities so that I could keep myself involved in more outside-the-home adult business-type matters.
  • vs1023
    vs1023 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I've done all sorts. I stayed home for a year with my daughter til she was 14 months old and then worked full time out of the house and she was in daycare. Eventually i transitioned to a ft work from home position with my daughter still in daycare. Hard to get work done with kids at home. I worked ft until I was 32 weeks pregnant with my second (5 years post 1st baby).

When I was a sahm I worked out during her naps n e treadmill and weights that we had at home. When it was nice out we went for walks.

When I worked ft out of the house I did the same. I'd do a bike ride or walk after dinner either with my daughter or without. When I worked ft in the house and she was at preschool I did stuff outside and eventually joined a gym. I made time.

My second baby, now a year old has some higher needs so I'm only working part time, but still from home. We have a caretaker that comes and I work then. I think working part time is the best of both worlds and I can better balance my time this way.

Now that I have a little one at home again I workout when his caretaker is here (he has a feeding tube) and work the rest of the day and workout on weekends. Inevitably there are times life gets in the way. When my caretaker calls out, dh still has to work (also from home ft) but he really doesn't help me during the day so I dont get to the gym. Sometimes I'll do a walk, but really have no time for a formal workout. I try not to beat myself over it and remind myself that my little guy will be little for a short time. My daughter is going to be 7 and the years have flown, so I enjoy the time and exercise when I can and make sure my food intake is really good if I can't workout.

There is no right answer for all, just whatever is right for you. (general)
  • MandeeSue
    Options
    Im a SAMH now for 2 years and I love it ! I have also opened and run our own home daycare..so now I have even more kids !! I workout at home, and do an MMA class 1x a week. I enjoy being able to watch my son grow up. I do get bored at times being in the house all the time, but I would change my decision.
  • craziedazie
    craziedazie Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have done both.
    I am currently staying home. I just got done completing my Master's degree and I am currently getting certified to teach secondary education. I plan to go back to work in August. Staying home is not for me. I need to be actively doing something outside of the house.

When working, I found there was a lot less time to exercise, but also I did not eat nearly as much. Staying home, I do have more time to exercise but also more time to eat. sigh.
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I work full time as an attorney for the government. I am a class mom for my son's first grade class, meaning I go to all the school parties and events and plan them, and I take him to all his sports practices and games. I also arrange play dates for him. He is one of the happiest kids I know. Even before he was in school full time, staying home with him all day would not have been "better" for him. He loves to be around other people and I love that he has lots of friends from school and sports, and that he doesn't want or need me to keep him entertained all day. In fact, I try to pick him up from the after school club early all the time, and he doesn't want any part of it - he wants to play outside with the other kids. So for my son, my situation is perfect. We have awesome quality time together as a family every night and all weekend long, and it works.
  • Faseret
    Options
    As a woman and a feminist, I think the whole working mom vs. stay at home mentality needs to stop. How can we possibly get ahead as a sex if there is so much infighting? Why can't we just support each individuals choice and work as a team to get ahead? It maddens me no end.

Having said that, I've been on both sides of this debate. As a full time working mom to my step-daughter, I used to be busy but fulfilled, the house would look the way I left it in the morning and I would have to hurry to catch up for the next day every evening. It was crazy busy. But then I missed out on a lot of playdates, lessons, and field trips. She used to beg me not to answer my work phone on evenings and weekends and would say "please don't go back to work" every time the phone rang. It was tough.

After having my son,I went back to work part-time and loved it. I couldn't go back to my previous career, but found something interesting to go to three days a week. I loved the balance of having "adult conversations" and then coming home to be a full-time mommy those other three days.

After we had our third child, three years ago now, I decided to be a full time stay at home mom. Do I consider myself lucky to be able to do this? Very. Does it mean I never resent it and never want to run screaming into traffic? Not at all. I'm human. Since my son and oldest are now in school full-time, I have gone back to school part time to be able to get back into the workforce when my youngest starts kindergarten.

For me, the ideal is part-time work or full-time work that overlaps my children's work schedules. But that's just me. I wouldn't claim to tell anyone else what works best for their family. We are all individuals, and so are our children. There s no cookie cutter ideal for the perfect family.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    "I stayed at home until my two kids were in pre-school and kindergarten, but I wasn’t happy not using my brain,"

I am hoping that you meant you were not happy not using your brain IN THE CONTEXT OF HOW YOU HAD TO FOR YOUR CAREER. Taking care of a household and teaching children is not being brain dead. And if i felt that I needed outside adult interaction, that is when I got involved in PTA, church work, other volunteer opportunities. Most of those things (PTA, for example) is like working in a big corporation. Other organizations that support the schools are also quite a business prospect!

I was a teacher for over 10 years but then I quit working to raise my kids when my husband's career needed us to move...every 2 years. I provided that needed stability for our children and our home. but I also found volunteer opportunities so that I could keep myself involved in more outside-the-home adult business-type matters.

If you read my post correctly, you probably noticed that I was at home until my kids started kindergarten and pre-school, and then I went to school (University) to get my degree.
    I did get involved with the PTA while they were in elementary school but only for a short time because I could not deal with the crap that was going on in those meetings and with the parents themselves. I also didn't like being told to bake "from scratch" and that Betty Crocker cup cakes were not good enough for their bake sale. Tough, I don't bake! And it was not the kind of adult interaction that I needed.
    I did volunteer at my kids’ school in kindergarten and math classes several times, but since I was going to school while the kids were at school themselves (so I could be at home with them in the afternoon), I had to choose what was best for me, and for them.
    I loved my paycheck then and my savings now, I loved my work and my independence, and I have no regrets. I did choose not to get my PhD or continue with Med school because it would have been too hard on the family. My decision, it was not easy but I learned to live with it.
    And while other grandchildren go to grandma house for the cookies my oldest grandchildren come to me to ask me questions about Biology and science in general. Of course they also know that I don't bake and that I suck at it!