Working Moms vs. Stay at Home Moms

Options
123457»

Replies

• robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I have worked at least part time since I was a teen, the past 2.5 years have been full time. I am not quite where I want to be in life, but I am happy because I am working towards my goals, and I am excited for the future :) my husband and I have adjusted our work schedules, we almost never have a day off together, but neither one of us works in the afternoon, so we still get family time daily. I got the sahm experience when I was on my mat leave for 14 months, and it was nice to be able to go to playgroups etc but i know they are not missing out since hubby takes care of that stuff on the days I work.
  • Jo_Bird
    Jo_Bird Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    oh, I have had the pleasure of doing both and both have their own challenges. I am currently a SAHM but, have just enrolled into college again to finish my Bachelors. Once they're all in school I can't imagine staying at home. It would be nice but, in my opinion not pratical for our family. I would like to contribute to our family investements, college funds, and provide more. We never get vacations because we never have enough money but, that's what we sacrifice in order to be with the kiddos while they are still not all in shcool. I am excited to get back to work and have a life outside my family. I love them - but, don't think I appreciate them to the fullest when I am with them 24/7. I currently get my workouts in by running on my treadmill at night while catching up on my shows since Dora takes over all day. I started by grabbing the stroller and while the older 2 played I pushed the baby around the playground side walk for an hour a day. I think this thread took a wrong turn... definately can tell that you all love your families just by reading your personal convictions. Now let's get that baby weight all off and talk about how much that sucks! lol.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Just skim through some replies, but WHY does one have to be harder then the other. SAHMs, WAHMs, we are ALL moms, neither is better than the other. We do what is BEST for our family. We should just be supportive of each other.

Back to OP's topic - I am happy. My kids are my priority. I have no problem taking time off from work for my kids. But I also enjoy some time away from the kids during work hours. The change of environments keeps me from feeling drained. And my husband is a great help with the kids when I need to work out or whatever.
  • sayfay
    sayfay Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Just skim through some replies, but WHY does one have to be harder then the other. SAHMs, WAHMs, we are ALL moms, neither is better than the other. We do what is BEST for our family. We should just be supportive of each other.

Back to OP's topic - I am happy. My kids are my priority. I have no problem taking time off from work for my kids. But I also enjoy some time away from the kids during work hours. The change of environments keeps me from feeling drained. And my husband is a great help with the kids when I need to work out or whatever.

Exactly - it doesn't need to be a competition. Being a parent is HARD no matter whether one is a SAHM, WAHM, WOHM!!!!! Tearing each other apart for our CHOICES makes things harder for everyone.
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options

Exactly - it doesn't need to be a competition. Being a parent is HARD no matter whether one is a SAHM, WAHM, WOHM!!!!! Tearing each other apart for our CHOICES makes things harder for everyone.

I think what gets people upset is how things are worded. For example-" I chose to stay home and raise my kids" Do you think that because I work I am not RAISING my children? They follow my rules. "I am a full time wife and mother". Because I work I too am a full time wife and mother.
  • MommyofTwinies31
    MommyofTwinies31 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I could not agree more with you :)
  • sayfay
    sayfay Posts: 90 Member
    Options

I think what gets people upset is how things are worded. For example-" I chose to stay home and raise my kids" Do you think that because I work I am not RAISING my children? They follow my rules. "I am a full time wife and mother". Because I work I too am a full time wife and mother.

Absolutely! Nothing bothers me more than the "I wanted to raise my kids" comment. I guarantee you that my child's daycare providers certainly did not feel they were raising my daughter for me. And now that she is in school, I'm sure her teachers don't feel that way. Sure, they helped me raise her. Just as my parents, friends, etc do. It does, after all, take a village!