The secret to losing weight...

Options
OK. I keep seeing the same posts about not losing, or not losing fast enough, or gaining weight, or gaining weight back after hitting goal, and weight loss questions in general, and thought I would share the secrets to losing weight forever.

First, for those of you who have the notion that there will come a magic day when you will be able to go back to eating the way you did before you lose / lost your weight, well, sorry to tell you, that day will never come.

To lose weight forever, you have to change and change forever. You have to eat accordingly forever, you have to exercise forever. And, once you hit your goal, you will still have to log your food, count your calories and hold yourself accountable for your actions and decisions. It has been scientifically proven that for a least a year after you hit goal, your body will continually try to return to your starting weight, because it takes that long for your body to reset and adjust to it’s "new" weight. It’s why so many gain back what they’ve lost and sometimes more within a year.

To lose weight forever you have to exercise. There’s no way around it. Dieting alone may let you lose weight, but you will gain it all back, especially if you go off plan. Calories in vs calories burned, that never changes. Find an exercise that you like to do and make it part of your routine. Start slowly, even if it’s only 15 minutes a day. Work out 5 to 6 times a week. Increase by 5 minutes every week, and soon you’ll have a 30 minute workout. It doesn’t matter if you are walking around your neighborhood or joining a gym. Get up, get moving, burn calories. People who work out eat cake, and ice cream and even junk food sometimes. They don’t eat that way all the time because eating healthier food makes them feel and perform better. Sure your muscles will be sore at first, but eventually you will miss your workout when you take a day off from it. Really, it’s true. Working out burns calories, boosts your metabolism, boosts your immune system, helps you to lose weight more quickly, develops muscle, adds confidence, and makes you feel better. You can do this.

To lose weight forever it’s highly recommended that you get a heart rate monitor. The best one to get is the one you will actually use, and that has a chest strap. It doesn’t matter whether it’s on the low or high end re: price, or what brand, or what bells and whistles it has. As long as it works. Sit for one hour with it going while watching tv and see what your resting calorie burn is. Take that information and use it as you will.

To lose weight forever you should strength train. Strength training is different than weight training. Less weight, more reps, develops leaner, stronger muscles and will not bulk you up. For women strength training is invaluable in regards to bone density and avoiding osteoporosis.

To lose weight forever you have to learn how to eat. You can’t be eating junk food, processed food, take out food, sweets and candy for a majority of your diet. That food is high carb, high sodium, high fat and high calorie. Although you may fit this food into your calorie profile for the day, in the long run you aren’t doing your body or yourself any favors. Eating that way is what got you here. Your diet is anything you eat. There’s no going on a diet, but there is changing your diet. Fresh vegetables, salads, calorie free dressings, lean protein, low carb / healthy carb, the 40/40/30 plan, this is how you have to learn how to eat. Learning how to cook, how to shop, how to read labels for serving sizes and actual calories, meal plans and snack plans will get you where you want to be. Anything else is unrealistic and will set you up for failure.

To lose weight forever you have to be honest with yourself. There’s no one you need to be accountable to or for, but you.

To lose weight forever you have to learn portion control. You have to measure and weigh your food and log everything that you eat. Please re-read the above re: honesty.

To lose weight forever you have to eat. As I always say, God’s little joke on us all. Here on MFP your calorie deficit, based on the amount of weight you have chosen to lose a week, (1 lb, ½ lb, etc.) has already been calculated and is reflected in your daily required calorie intake. Women may NOT eat less than 1200 calories, and men may NOT eat less than 1500. Eating less will probably make that scale stand still, and you may also gain. Also you should eat back your exercise calories, either half or all. Remember, your calorie deficit has already been taken out of your daily total, so not eating your exercise calories back may also cause you to plateau or gain. Exercise calories are bonus calories to be eaten joyfully. You can use these extra calories daily, or save some up and have a weekend splurge, or plan for a special occasion. Best plan is to use any saved calories weekly. For more information do a search on “starvation mode” here, and you will find some great posts with excellent information.

To lose weight forever you may not skip meals. So you must eat breakfast, lunch, dinner, with snacks in between and after. Look for a steady even intake of calories throughout the day to keep your metabolism going.

To lose weight forever you have to drink water. Eight glasses, spaced throughout the day, or a whole bunch at different intervals. Just drink it. Try a glass before each meal, before, during and after your workout, in between cups of coffee, and alcoholic beverages. This helps flush the crap out your system and helps to drop the pounds. Do it.

To lose weight forever you must develop patience of mind. How long did it take you to put on your weight? A year? Two years? Longer? Well if it took you that long to put the weight on, why do you think you can lose it in six weeks? Again, this is unrealistic and sets you up for failure. If you are 30 pounds overweight and you lose a pound a week, it will take you at least 30 weeks. If you are 100 pounds overweight and you lose a pound a week, it will take at least 100 weeks. For many, although you set your calories to lose a pound a week, your weekly loss may fluctuate, losing more, and sometimes less than that 1 pound, and if you work out as well, you will shorten the time that it takes you to get to your goal. Slow weight loss is the healthiest and most successful way to go. Again, you didn’t put the weight on in a six weeks, and you’re not going to take it off in six weeks either. Slow and steady wins the race, fast and furious loses face.

To lose weight forever you must develop patience in regards to your body. Your skin is the body’s largest organ and it truly is remarkable. The rule of thumb in regards to skin is that the length of time it took you to gain the weight that stretched your skin out, will be the same amount of time the skin needs to shrink back. So if it took you a year to gain your weight, it will take a year for your skin to adjust. So let’s say you gained your weight over a year, and then you lose that weight in six months and your skin is saggy. You need to give your skin another six months or so to shrink back. Don’t go get plastic surgery because of your own impatience. You also need to understand that your body isn’t going to change overnight, but it will change, and be the better for all your hard work.

To lose weight forever you have to be prepared for setbacks. They are going to happen. Don’t use them as an excuse to give up. This is a process and a journey, you are human, and it will be ok. Adjust and change up your workout, or your calories, (be prepared for the possibility of eating more than you are, not less), or get back on program if you stopped. Find out what you need to do to continue. You will be glad you did.

To lose weight forever you have to forgive yourself. There will be times you will eat something you shouldn’t, or skip a workout, and indulge. Ok, you did it. Now get back on the horse and keep on going. The moment you quit, the moment you stop, is the moment you fail. Forgive yourself, learn from it, and continue on program. Lead yourself to success, don’t use this as an excuse to give up.

To lose weight forever you have to stop making excuses. From, it’s too difficult, I can’t eat that much, I don’t have enough time, I don’t like vegetables, I don’t like working out, it’s my TOM, I have no willpower, whatever, with all of these phrases, and a heck of a lot more, you set you up for failure. Get rid of them. Why are you sabotaging yourself and your success? Don’t you think you deserve to be healthy and at the weight you want to be at? Why don’t you think you deserve it? Why shouldn’t you be happy, healthy, gorgeous, handsome, sexy, and successful? Why should everyone else be allowed these things and not you? Stop getting in your own way, and believe that you can do this, because you can. It’s all you baby, you do deserve this, and don’t let anyone, especially yourself, tell you that you can’t. Figure out how to make it work, how to find the right foods, and the time to workout, and make this happen for you. Ultimately you have to do the work here, no one else will do it for you, you are responsible for your choices, and actions. Take the steps you need to take to change and love yourself for doing it. Believe that this is worth it, you are worth it. You can do this.

For me, these are the most important secrets I can tell you to help you lose your weight forever.

I’m sure I’ve missed some, and I’m sure there are others who have some excellent secrets as well.

Have at it.

Replies

• _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Spot on.

When I hesitate to work out, I ask myself, "This is the ideal time to work out, when I originally planned. It isn't going to be any more convenient than right now. And if I tell myself if I can't do it now, when is it going to be better?"
  • kmfl1
    kmfl1 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You're all that.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    bump
  • BBoros
    BBoros Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing.:smile:
  • Rays_Wife
    Rays_Wife Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Best post I have read here yet.
  • mazie61
    mazie61 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Bravo! Well said my friend!
  • tz2187
    tz2187 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Well said!!:flowerforyou:
  • heleflump
    Options
    A few weeks ago this would have depressed the hell out of me - now, it makes me feel empowered and hopeful - like I have finally seen the light at the end of the tunnel - like someone has let me into the secret of all the slim people out there - great stuff - thanks!
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Love it!:smile:
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    Great post. Why is it such a mystery for some? I guess common sense isn't all that common.
  • moushtie
    moushtie Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Where's the *like* button?
  • needlework
    needlework Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    bump
  • desirae500
    desirae500 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Every time someone asks me what I'm doing to lose weight I always answer, "eat better, move more!" It's just that simple and it becomes a lifestyle not just a diet.
  • weightloss43154
    weightloss43154 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    well said :smile:
  • mangojh2
    mangojh2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the reminder of all the things we really need to remember. Patience is the biggest issue I have. I really appreciate your post!
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to fight this even there is so much misinformation and many myths in it. I liked the tone of the OP and the way how the post was ended. And the avatar picture.:laugh:
    Good for you OP.
  • nicehormones
    nicehormones Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    thank you!
  • hexrei
    hexrei Posts: 163
    Options
    "leaner, stronger muscles"? I'm sorry, are there fat, weak muscles?
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    My secret:
    Eat nutritious, well-balanced meals and snacks in sensible portions, drink plenty of water, and move your body.

Also, strength training rocks.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Bump. My HRM is a wrist one and was right on with the cardio rehab that my husband went to, so hopefully it will be ok for my calorie burn.
This discussion has been closed.