Options

Replies

• jennifer127
    Options
    BuMp
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    BMR calculation for men BMR = 66.5 + ( 13.75 x weight in kg ) + ( 5.003 x height in cm ) – ( 6.755 x age in years )
    BMR calculation for men BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) – ( 6.76 x age in years )
    BMR calculation for women BMR = 655.1 + ( 9.563 x weight in kg ) + ( 1.850 x height in cm ) – ( 4.676 x age in years )
    BMR calculation for women BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) – ( 4.7 x age in years )

Little to no exercise Daily calories needed = BMR x 1.2
    Light exercise (1–3 days per week) Daily calories needed = BMR x 1.375
    Moderate exercise (3–5 days per week) Daily calories needed = BMR x 1.55
    Heavy exercise (6–7 days per week) Daily calories needed = BMR x 1.725
    Very heavy exercise (twice per day, extra heavy workouts) Daily calories needed = BMR x 1.9

These are without any calorie deficit also!!!! So if you have your goal weight loss set to any thing but zero on my fitness pal it will not be the same number you get with these. These numbers are to maintain your weight! remember 3500 = 1lb. So this means you would have a 500 calorie deficit per day for 7 days for 3500 calories in total !

These are what you need the numbers used seem a little off these are more accurate

Hopefully this helps everyone!

Also by the way. This is how it works. These numbers are not very accurate they are off 100-300 calories depending on the person. Don't over exaggerate your exercise!!.

Why is the BMR for a woman so much higher than a man?

Mine comes up at nearly 2145 and that really can't be right even for maintenance, I'm only 5'3" and that would def see me gaining.
  • porffor
    Options
    BMR calculation for men BMR = 66.5 + ( 13.75 x weight in kg ) + ( 5.003 x height in cm ) – ( 6.755 x age in years )
    BMR calculation for men BMR = 66 + ( 6.23 x weight in pounds ) + ( 12.7 x height in inches ) – ( 6.76 x age in years )
    BMR calculation for women BMR = 655.1 + ( 9.563 x weight in kg ) + ( 1.850 x height in cm ) – ( 4.676 x age in years )
    BMR calculation for women BMR = 655 + ( 4.35 x weight in pounds ) + ( 4.7 x height in inches ) – ( 4.7 x age in years )

Very heavy exercise (twice per day, extra heavy workouts) Daily calories needed = BMR x 1.9

These are without any calorie deficit also!!!! So if you have your goal weight loss set to any thing but zero on my fitness pal it will not be the same number you get with these. These numbers are to maintain your weight! remember 3500 = 1lb. So this means you would have a 500 calorie deficit per day for 7 days for 3500 calories in total !

These are what you need the numbers used seem a little off these are more accurate

Also by the way. This is how it works. These numbers are not very accurate they are off 100-300 calories depending on the person. Don't over exaggerate your exercise!!.

Mine comes up at nearly 2145 and that really can't be right even for maintenance, I'm only 5'3" and that would def see me gaining.

So the formula gives me 2145 and a site I found has the same formula but has a calculator too..
    which gives me:
    1500 for resting BMR

So that is not allowing for exercise - which I put in as light at 1-3 times a week (I do more than this but wouldn't call it heavy).

So that would be a whopping 900 cals difference for me to exercise up to 3 x a week.

I just don't get it but then maths isn't my strong point! lol

Calculator is here: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
  • busymomto5PA
    Options
    bump
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options

So the formula gives me 2145 and a site I found has the same formula but has a calculator too..
    which gives me:
    1500 for resting BMR

So that is not allowing for exercise - which I put in as light at 1-3 times a week (I do more than this but wouldn't call it heavy).

So that would be a whopping 900 cals difference for me to exercise up to 3 x a week.

I just don't get it but then maths isn't my strong point! lol

Calculator is here: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/

BMR = calories to sustain in a coma, so you still need to apply a multiplier of 1.2 even if you are sedentary, to account for daily life.
  • TeeferTiger
    TeeferTiger Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Mine came out at around 1900 and MFP has set my calorie whatsit to 1200 so I don't really need to do much adjusting.
  • GreenEyedLady1
    Options
    it all depends on your weight and age and activity level. my BMR is 1865. why so high? because im overweight and so it takes more for me just to do nothing. add in a sedentary lifestyle and even then my calorie intake is bumped to 2265. if i excercise more, my daily calories needs would be even more! but, as i start losing weight, my BMR adjusts down.

it really is specific to the kind of person. you cant say a set amount of calories is too low or too high.

you need to do the math. and trust me, 1600 calories for me would be starvation mode. what people seem to get hung up on is the word 'starvation'. it does not mean i am going to turn into a stick. it means my body recognizes that it is not getting enough calories and starts creating and storing fat. if i only ate 1600 calories for a long time, i wouldnt lose weight. in fact, i may even gain because my body knows (whether i want to believe it or not) that it is not getting enough energy to be alive.

but, thats not going to be the same for everyone. do the math for yourself and find out:

once again, i recommend going here - http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
    find your BMR (what you need to stay alive doing nothing)
    multiply by your activity level ratio using the harris - benedict formula (HBF)
    get your daily calorie needs
    that is what you need to eat if you want to stay where you are. if you want to lose weight , eat a little less, or exercise a little more but your net calories per day should STAY ABOVE your BMR.

the math works. your body goes by the math. believe in your body! :wink:
  • Tanyaclare
    Tanyaclare Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    mine was 2187 and I have only been eating about 1400 and then on the bad days the days I have loads of exercise and I am staving I end up eating more and those are the weeks that I loose more weight! not that I have been loosing much latley but I am going to do my fat% again and see if this changes !!

I would suggest that maybe you should be more honest with the amount of exercise that you do! I exercise a lot but to do 4 boot camps in the week that would be a lot and I am not sure I could, but maybe ours are harder???? I do two spinning classes, boot camp and also one personal training sessions as wells as trying to run as I am training to do a 10k in april. but I have only put modiate activity as I do not have a physical job. so be more honest guys.

Tx
  • CorinthiaB
    CorinthiaB Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Thanks OP for the information. I researched and found my numbers. I started this on last Tuesday. I am here to say that I broke a almost 4 month plateau.It worked for me. I found the calories I needed to maintain and I subtracted a 2lb deficit from that number. I haven't been hungry. I love it!
  • porffor
    Options
    it all depends on your weight and age and activity level. my BMR is 1865. why so high? because im overweight and so it takes more for me just to do nothing. add in a sedentary lifestyle and even then my calorie intake is bumped to 2265. if i excercise more, my daily calories needs would be even more! but, as i start losing weight, my BMR adjusts down.

it really is specific to the kind of person. you cant say a set amount of calories is too low or too high.

you need to do the math. and trust me, 1600 calories for me would be starvation mode. what people seem to get hung up on is the word 'starvation'. it does not mean i am going to turn into a stick. it means my body recognizes that it is not getting enough calories and starts creating and storing fat. if i only ate 1600 calories for a long time, i wouldnt lose weight. in fact, i may even gain because my body knows (whether i want to believe it or not) that it is not getting enough energy to be alive.

but, thats not going to be the same for everyone. do the math for yourself and find out:

once again, i recommend going here - http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
    find your BMR (what you need to stay alive doing nothing)
    multiply by your activity level ratio using the harris - benedict formula (HBF)
    get your daily calorie needs
    that is what you need to eat if you want to stay where you are. if you want to lose weight , eat a little less, or exercise a little more but your net calories per day should STAY ABOVE your BMR.

the math works. your body goes by the math. believe in your body! :wink:

Ok.. thanks :) will do this and set my goal at that - 1200 hasn't worked for me well in the past - when I've stuck to it admittedly so do think I need more which is why I up'd it recently.
  • koalasue
    koalasue Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this really helps me. Mine came out to 1520 before I multiplied the excersise so I just didn't do that part and this is about what my doctor is telling me too.
  • tamheath
    tamheath Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I eat 1700-1800 calories plus I workout (burning 450-550 calories). I eat a 35% protein/ 35% carb 30 % fat.

I have lost more weight eating this way than eating 1200 calories and working out burning 450-550 calories.

Interesting. Bumping for later -- when 2 yr old not hanging from my leg.
  • porffor
    Options
    mine was 2187 and I have only been eating about 1400 and then on the bad days the days I have loads of exercise and I am staving I end up eating more and those are the weeks that I loose more weight! not that I have been loosing much latley but I am going to do my fat% again and see if this changes !!

I would suggest that maybe you should be more honest with the amount of exercise that you do! I exercise a lot but to do 4 boot camps in the week that would be a lot and I am not sure I could, but maybe ours are harder???? I do two spinning classes, boot camp and also one personal training sessions as wells as trying to run as I am training to do a 10k in april. but I have only put modiate activity as I do not have a physical job. so be more honest guys.

Tx

I don't know if this was aimed at me - I've not taken offence either way.
    I put in the 'lightly active' rate of 1.375 or something

I do 50 mins Plus a day - 30 Day shred along with my exercise bike, I've only missed 1 day a week in the last month of exercise. in addition I do belly dancing for 2 hours once a week.

I didn't opt for the next one up despite working out daily 'in case' I missed more than one day a week due to commitments. I have a horse I was riding 6 days a week for up to 3 hours a time last summer - it's since I stopped riding due to Uni and winter that I've struggled with losing which is why I lowered my calories to the 1200 min advised on here.

So the theory of eating 'enough' is ringing true and something I read up on and decided to increase my cals last week.

Fingers x'd I get back into the 170's soon.
  • Ladeda1
    Ladeda1 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jynckz
    jynckz Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My math was off the first time I did this.. didn't subtract the last one.. (age x ) Even with.. and lowering my exercise amount.. It is 3347.. Take off 500-1000 for weight loss? 2300-2800.. MFP recommends 1650.. I DO need to up my calories because I am not eating enough, just not sure that is the right amount..
  • Tina180130
    Tina180130 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Bump, Thx:smile:
  • Goosiesnougs
    Options
    This formula is right on....It gave me about 50 calories more than MFP after I subtracted 500 calories per day for weight loss of 1lb a week.
  • Nic620
    Nic620 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • woodstockmom
    woodstockmom Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The discussion here is so helpful....I feel like I am learning a new "language" with eating more to loose fat not muscle. I am failing miserably at eating the recommended calories..but now that I understand what will happen if I don't I will try even harder to get the healthy calories in. It all seems so crazy but is ANSWERS so many questions as to why I have always plateaued in the past and not lost my weight. Thanks!!
  • FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    bump for reference