The secret to losing weight...

Options
14567810»

Replies

• douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Now for the simple version

To lose weight eat fewer calories than you are burning.

To get/stay healthy exercise (http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/fitness/Pages/physical-activity-guidelines-for-adults.aspx) follow the link for some suggested times.

You can lose weight without getting fit, you can get fit without losing weight, you can do both together (this is the best option for overweight people)

Eating more to lose weight is a dieters dream and should stay in dreamland.

To stick to a plan you need to get your head right first, if you go for a such a lifestyle change with anything short of 100% commitment and full belief in why you are making the change you are more than likely going to fail.
  • amandac72
    amandac72 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Bumping to read later :)
  • avafrisbee
    avafrisbee Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    A few weeks ago this would have depressed the hell out of me - now, it makes me feel empowered and hopeful - like I have finally seen the light at the end of the tunnel - like someone has let me into the secret of all the slim people out there - great stuff - thanks!

Yup
  • jessicaaa456
    jessicaaa456 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    love it
  • Alleyna7
    Alleyna7 Posts: 212
    Options
    thanks!
  • minus40
    minus40 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Great post!
  • ElPumaMex
    ElPumaMex Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Completely agree, well put.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    yes, and it took me 40 years to finally figure this out. Thanks for the post. This time is the last time for me and once I am normal weight, I will never go back again because I have retaught myself how to eat and now how to move. I take a 3 hour walk every day rain or shine. It puts me in a great mood, make my legs feel great, and it is basically the time I use to get ideas and to get inpired. I miss it if it isn't there. And my spike days consist of just more healthy food, I no longer crave junk because I have been really listening to my body and how it feels after I have eaten the junk. I hate that feeling!! So, no going back for me. Looking forward to being a normal person for the fist time in a looooooong time :)
  • SilviCor
    SilviCor Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    OP, your post consists of much more opinion than fact. It was great of you to take the time to share what's worked for you, but the only thing we "must" do to lose weight is maintain a calorie deficit, and the only thing we "must" do to keep it off is to avoid a calorie surplus.

My opinion has let me lose 50 pounds. I've tried to lose before,but nothing worked really until I started following these guidelines. True, each person is different, true, certain things may be tweaked for the individual, and yes, I have even more to lose, but I will lose it, and I will keep it off, and I can do it. In general, whether you like it or not, for the majority, this is the best way to do it.

So instead of admitting that much of your advice and rationale is based on pseudoscience, you get all defensive? And it is not the best way to lose weight, set up your macros, chose foods or anything of the such. The best way is something that you can adhere to, not a made up set of rules and tips someone just made up because of a N=1 experience
    Dude, give it a rest already. Go do some crunches.
  • kathyelizabeth2
    Options
    THANK YOU! Great post! Am just getting started and will be re-reading it for inspiration in this journey!
  • echoica
    echoica Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    bumpppppp
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    For strength you meant lift heavy in the 4-6 range right?

Good post though.
  • thetiwi1890
    thetiwi1890 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
    :flowerforyou:
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    bump
  • _Sally_
    _Sally_ Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I'm locking this thread as it looks to have run its course and there is only room left for a small number of posters to argue, in not always a mutually respectful manner. This thread may be deleted in the near future.

Please take a moment to read the community guidelines in full here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Please try to keep all posts respectful (and attacking others in defense of yourself or another poster is also not allowed). There is a way to do this while expressing differing opinions. There is no reason to get agressive or emotional about it and insult other posters. I understand people are very passionate about their views, but information you offer should be able to stand on its own and allow the readers to make up their own minds, without attacking other posters.

If there is a post that is in violation of guidelines, please use the Report Post link, and do not reply to the post to fuel the argument. If there are other posters that annoy you, but who may not be technically violating guidelines, I encourage you to use the Ignor User feature (available in the drop down under a poster's profile picture) - this will filter out their posts from your view.

With Respect,
    _Sally_
    MFP Forum Moderator
This discussion has been closed.