Eating enough to lose weight??...sent by a bootcamp instruct

Options

Replies

• FitnSassy
    FitnSassy Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have read and reread this information several times today to try and get a clear understanding. Can someone please tell me where the 40% carbs/40% proteins/30% fat comes from? I saw that someone had 40%/30%/20%. How do I calculate what my percentages should be for 1 lb/week weight loss? Help!
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I actually just changed mine to reflect this last week. I set my goal at 1600, but I try to do 75 minutes of cardio at least 5 times a week... If I find I'm not losing, then I will decrease a little. I think with my BMR, I should be at 1680. However, with what I burn, I net under 1000 calories most days. Not something I do on purpose, just how it works out. I am by no means starving myself. But I think it's awesome you posted this, because it seems like a lot of people do under eat.
  • itsjustdawn
    Options
    Thanks for posting!!! Mine was 3019 calories I eat about 1300-1700 cal daily so am I under eating??

Take into account what you're burning in exercise... if you subtract that from the 3019, that should be your net calories...
  • itsjustdawn
    Options
    My boot camp instructor sent this to me. I find it very interesting and wanted to share. I mean he is a fitness expert!

(Body Fat Burn Registration Link at the bottom…but read on!)

Over eating causes weight gain…duh.

But, did you know that under-eating is almost as bad as over eating?

Doesn’t seem to make sense, but its true…and the fact is that most people are guilty of under eating, most of the time.

Here’s the deal:

Your body is an amazing machine built for enormous stresses.

And, when put to the test it will revert back to one basic function: to survive at all costs.

When we under eat, we have a pretty nifty survival mechanism that kicks in.

The body actually thinks that there is a food shortage and a famine is coming (read up on Epigenetics for this one).

So, if you are trying to starve yourself skinny a couple of days out of the week,

even the very few calories that you do eat will be stored as fat because your body thinks that it needs those calories for survival later.

So what’s the solution if you can’t starve yourself skinny?

EAT! :o)

We need a certain amount of calories every day just to survive. That’s your Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR).

Your RMR is the amount of calories that you burn while just sitting there. A high RMR is a good thing…because it means less body fat.

The more muscle you have (muscle burns calories, fat does not) the higher your RMR.

The less muscle you have the lower your RMR (and the more body fat you’ll likely have).

That’s why some cardio is good, but strength training/resistance training like we do in boot camp is key when it comes to looking awesome (naked).

So, give your body the right nutrients in the right portions (40% protein, 40% low glycemic carbs and 20% fats), eat at least 5 times per day and...

Your body will respond in amazing ways.

In fact all our campers decide to start eating this way are blown away at how fast the weight drops off…as in 4 to 5 pounds per week fast.

Its not rocket science or magic…just a neat little bit of physiology that YOU control :o)

So, exactly how many calories do YOU need to eat every day to maintain a lean sexy figure?

Grab your calculator and use the formula below:

For Women: 665 + (4.35 x weight in pounds) + (4.7 x height in inches) – (4.7 x age in years)

For Men: 66 + (6.23 x weight in pounds) + (12.7 x height in inches) – (6.8 x age in years)

Take the number from above and multiply it by the level of exercise listed below:

(i.e. If you’re doing boot camp 4+ days per week you fall into the Moderately Active to Very Active category - multiply by 1.55)

1.2 (Sedentary, Little or No Exercise)

1.375 (Lightly Active, Light Exercise 1 to 3 days per week)

1.55 (Moderately Active, Moderate exercise 3 to 5 days per week)

1.7 (Very Active, Hard exercise 6 to 7 days per week)

1.9 (Extremely Active, Hard daily exercise and/or physical job)

And viola! There ya have it!

Now you have your plan to eat to stay lean!

Can you elaborate about how exercise will play a role in this. I think the numbers are scaring people. (If you already did that, I apologize, there are a lot of posts to go through still). In another topic I had posted regarding the BMR/RMR, I was told to subtract 500 to 800 from the total obtained from the formula above (which includes the activity level), and that was to be my daily target to consume per day.
  • yurikahanachi
    Options
    It's TRUE.

Forget about old sayings telling you that you have to STARVE to lose your weight.
    It isn't neccessary.
    You should BASE on academic research. However, it's simple to eath healthy, do exercise and walk toward your route
    If you give up eating, it can result in other diseases which are far more dangerous than being FAT :)
    I think that all the members here have shown you, but just to mention again. You should try using BMR calculator
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kirstand
    Options
    bump
  • jennytree
    jennytree Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I am so confused by this! My BMR was calculated at 1792, with maintenance at 2464. I've been currently eating about 1200 a day, burning about 280 every 2nd day on 30DS and a 500 cal burn at the weekend. I've been losing about 2lbs a week which I'm happy with.

Should I be eating more?
  • janenightingale
    janenightingale Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Fatloosa
    Options
    My boot camp instructor sent this to me. I find it very interesting and wanted to share. I mean he is a fitness expert!

(Body Fat Burn Registration Link at the bottom…but read on!)

Over eating causes weight gain…duh.

But, did you know that under-eating is almost as bad as over eating?

Doesn’t seem to make sense, but its true…and the fact is that most people are guilty of under eating, most of the time.

Here’s the deal:

Your body is an amazing machine built for enormous stresses.

And, when put to the test it will revert back to one basic function: to survive at all costs.

When we under eat, we have a pretty nifty survival mechanism that kicks in.

The body actually thinks that there is a food shortage and a famine is coming (read up on Epigenetics for this one).

So, if you are trying to starve yourself skinny a couple of days out of the week,

even the very few calories that you do eat will be stored as fat because your body thinks that it needs those calories for survival later.

So what’s the solution if you can’t starve yourself skinny?

EAT! :o)

We need a certain amount of calories every day just to survive. That’s your Resting Metabolic Rate (RMR).

Your RMR is the amount of calories that you burn while just sitting there. A high RMR is a good thing…because it means less body fat.

The more muscle you have (muscle burns calories, fat does not) the higher your RMR.

The less muscle you have the lower your RMR (and the more body fat you’ll likely have).

That’s why some cardio is good, but strength training/resistance training like we do in boot camp is key when it comes to looking awesome (naked).

So, give your body the right nutrients in the right portions (40% protein, 40% low glycemic carbs and 20% fats), eat at least 5 times per day and...

Your body will respond in amazing ways.

In fact all our campers decide to start eating this way are blown away at how fast the weight drops off…as in 4 to 5 pounds per week fast.

Its not rocket science or magic…just a neat little bit of physiology that YOU control :o)

So, exactly how many calories do YOU need to eat every day to maintain a lean sexy figure?

Grab your calculator and use the formula below:

For Women: 665 + (4.35 x weight in pounds) + (4.7 x height in inches) – (4.7 x age in years)

For Men: 66 + (6.23 x weight in pounds) + (12.7 x height in inches) – (6.8 x age in years)

Take the number from above and multiply it by the level of exercise listed below:

(i.e. If you’re doing boot camp 4+ days per week you fall into the Moderately Active to Very Active category - multiply by 1.55)

1.2 (Sedentary, Little or No Exercise)

1.375 (Lightly Active, Light Exercise 1 to 3 days per week)

1.55 (Moderately Active, Moderate exercise 3 to 5 days per week)

1.7 (Very Active, Hard exercise 6 to 7 days per week)

1.9 (Extremely Active, Hard daily exercise and/or physical job)

And viola! There ya have it!

Now you have your plan to eat to stay lean!

Thanks so much for this great piece of information. I have calculated mine and it comes out at 2063.75.
    My dietician said she wants me to eat more than I have been on my diet and suggested 1500 cals a day for me.
    So I think if you calculate using your formula then deduct 500 cals for weight reduction its about right.
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    its simple...cut cals to lose weight.

BMR is the amount of cals you will burn just laying in bed all day. It does not account for exercise and other cals burnt day to day...
    My BMR is about 1800 but to stay my current weight I would eat about 2300 cals a day.

I eat about a 500 cal deficit which is 1lb per week lost...

It is not recommended to lose less than 1lb per week...

heres a BMR calc http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing! But it seems kind of counter-intuitive. Why are anorexic people so thin, then? It just basically comes down to calories in, calories out.

Because our bodies are awesome but they're not THAT awesome. If you continue to starve yourself over an extended period of time, there's no way for your body to keep up. The less you put in, the less it has to work with, until eventually there's nothing left for it to store and it starts eating itself. The point of fat storage in times of scarce food supplies was to get our species through periods of famine, not to keep us alive through continuous starvation like that of anorexics. It's evolution. It's why we're still here as a species today. It's also why, once someone who has been starving themselves returns to a normal eating routine, they're likely to put on a lot of weight very quickly.
  • cindy859
    cindy859 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    bump
  • paulamarsden
    paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    the key thing to remember, never eat below your BMR. (NET)

maintanence calcs should include your exercise, as such only eat back exercise cals to BMR or slightly over.

im doing 1900 cals a day, my BMR is 1800, my TDEE is 2500 (maintanence including exercise each week factored in)

eating too little will mean you lose muscle, not fat.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Altho ultimately it is cals in v out, I eat more than a basic amount so I can train harder and thus burn more fat, not necessarily losing huge amounts of weight. A body re-composition is better than losing huge amounts of weight :smile:
  • teagan911
    Options
    So if my BMR is 1341 I should take away a 500 deficit to lose?
  • Breadbar
    Breadbar Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this post!
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options

no,

The fact that Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is NOT the total number of calories needed based on weight, height, age and one's level of physical activity is so critical, it should appear as a heading on the BMR calculator box to avoid misunderstandings!

BMR represents the caloric intake required by one's body to perform mostly involuntary functions like respiration, circulation and digestion. Think of it this way: if you were in a coma, it's the intake level required to sustain life!

Once you've factored in the intake needed to cover an individual's level of physical activity, those calories are ADDED to BMR to determine the total daily caloric intake needed to MAINTAIN one's current weight.

Since one pound equals 3,500 calories, a decrease/increase of 500 calories/day, should result in a loss/gain of 1 lb./week. A decrease/increase of 1,000 calories/day, should result in a loss/gain of 1 lb./week. That you maintain a varied, balanced diet with adequate nutrients essential to your body is very important to maintain good health, an efficient metabolism, and a sustainable weight loss.

In general, to maintain good health, women should not have a daily caloric intake of LESS than 1,200 calories/day and men should not have an intake of LESS than 1,500 calories/day, and should consult with a physician before embarking on a diet that low in calories.
  • teagan911
    Options

no,

The fact that Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is NOT the total number of calories needed based on weight, height, age and one's level of physical activity is so critical, it should appear as a heading on the BMR calculator box to avoid misunderstandings!

BMR represents the caloric intake required by one's body to perform mostly involuntary functions like respiration, circulation and digestion. Think of it this way: if you were in a coma, it's the intake level required to sustain life!

Once you've factored in the intake needed to cover an individual's level of physical activity, those calories are ADDED to BMR to determine the total daily caloric intake needed to MAINTAIN one's current weight.

Since one pound equals 3,500 calories, a decrease/increase of 500 calories/day, should result in a loss/gain of 1 lb./week. A decrease/increase of 1,000 calories/day, should result in a loss/gain of 1 lb./week. That you maintain a varied, balanced diet with adequate nutrients essential to your body is very important to maintain good health, an efficient metabolism, and a sustainable weight loss.

In general, to maintain good health, women should not have a daily caloric intake of LESS than 1,200 calories/day and men should not have an intake of LESS than 1,500 calories/day, and should consult with a physician before embarking on a diet that low in calories.

Thank you for the information.

I have done the calculations over and over and my number is 1726. A 500 calorie deficit to lose leaves me with 1226. This is lower than my calories allotment give to me here at MFP. That's my BMR 1255.45 calculated from the above formula) times my lifestyle (lightly active at 1.375). Why are my maintenance and all other numbers so much lower than everyone's?

I'm sorry if I seem extremely dense.
  • ritzl
    ritzl Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I understand all the calculations, but here is where I get confused and need some help, and I'm going to guess I'm not the only one who does. Here goes...when you set up your goals you use the custom setting. You enter your nutritional goals and fitness goals and it gives you your fitness profile with projected weight loss for the week. So, do you still enter your calories that you actually burned during exercise each day or is that already included in the number that shows on your daily food log? I know what I mean but if you need more info to answer this, please let me know. :flowerforyou: