Answering the door

Options

Replies

• lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    We live in the country so we rarely get anyone knocking on our door.

Funny story though, when my kids were little we were making breakfast one morning when someone said there was a truck coming up our driveway. We all freaked out and ran in different directions hiding. I eventually had to come out of hiding and answer the door because our car was in the driveway and they knew we were home. We just never get company no one knew what to do (the fact we were all in our p.j.'s didn't help either).

Anyway, it is your home and you should be able to ignore them if you want to. Sometimes you are just not in the mood to keep company.
  • eillamarie
    eillamarie Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I think that it's your house & you should be able to day a day off inside your own home. On the other hand, I once dated a guy who wouldn't answer the door unless he specifically asked you to come over @ a specific time! If the person is somebody important in your life or looks official (boyfriend's, family, good friends, mailmen, etc) then you should most definitely answer! If they are merely an aquaintance or seem to be peddling something then feel free to not answer!
  • harrietlg
    Options
    . Also many burglars case houses of those that they think AREN'T home. They don't usually burglarize a home where someone is actually there.

LOL oh they do where I live, my friend got burgled and didn't even realise, they knew she was upstairs too as she was playing music! someone got burgled in my building too, and all of us were in, how I didn't realise I do not know.... I live in a bad place !
  • harrietlg
    Options
    I don't answer the door, especially at 8am to someone telling me about recycling... my boyfriend and I work nights, we don't want to be disturbed!
  • PatasDeGallina
    PatasDeGallina Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    We never answer the door. Ever. You'd have to call and say you're outside if you want us to open the door. If someone knocks and we're not expecting anyone, we all run and hide.

Maybe it's a Mexican thing. I mean hide behind furniture. Peek out the windows. Everyone gets real quiet. Crawl on the floor to the next room....

I don't trust unexpected visitors. My mom is worse. We share a house and we always make my husband answer the door. He doesn't like to answer it either. Maybe it's not a Mexican thing.

:happy:
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    My pitbull answers the door.
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I remember my college freshman year, and I entered my apartment really tired from class one day. As I went into the apartment (I figured someone didn't lock the door), and I was just thinking to myself that hm... roomies must've moved the furniture around. It wasn't until I went into the 3rd room that I figured out that I was in the wrong apartment! OMG, everyone was still asleep and didn't even notice I was in there. :laugh: My apartment was the next floor up. :blushing:

College peeps: remember to lock your doors!
  • ESVABelle
    ESVABelle Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    The people that knock are people I'm not expecting or don't have the open invitation to walk right in (or know how to get in) so I'll answer the door...with a gun and two dogs.
  • cavemancop
    cavemancop Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I usually never answer the door. I work mid-nights so half the time the door bell doesn't wake me up in the first place, but the main reason I don't open the door is because that is a main way burglars check to see if a house is empty, and if anyone tries to break into my house I will use swift justice against them
  • Scoobies100
    Options
    I never answer my door unless I see it's someone I know and care to see. I also never answer calls from numbers I don't recognize (and even sometimes from those I do recognize).

Me too!
  • MrsMuffinRun
    Options
    I hate unannounced visitors. I always seem to get that problem when I move to a new area, one neighbour walked through my gate and into my kitchen once to chat. I was speechless lol. I think she realised though and never did it again. Another one used to turn up around teatime when my kids were at the table and keep me chatting on the doorstep and by the time she had gone teatime had all but fallen apart. I like having visitors but I like to make dates (then I can tidy my house and make the beds lol).
  • neenaj33
    neenaj33 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I never answer unless Its the UPS or mailman!
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Nope. Same with phone calls. There's a reason for voicemail and I like to use it. If someone needs me badly enough they'll leave a voicemail and/or beat my door down trying to get in.

I value my privacy :)
  • WingMan380
    WingMan380 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I work 3rd shift (11pm-7am). So usually i'm not awake to answer the door. If I am awake it is a toss up as to if I answer or not. If I do answer the door, I will have a .38spl in hand not counting the 9mm in my back pocket.

:bigsmile: :smokin: :bigsmile:
  • WingMan380
    WingMan380 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I work 3rd shift (11pm-7am). So usually i'm not awake to answer the door. If I am awake it is a toss up as to if I answer or not. If I do answer the door, I will have a .38spl in hand not counting the 9mm in my back pocket.

:bigsmile: :smokin: :bigsmile: :noway: :bigsmile:
  • dubw
    dubw Posts: 429
    Options
    My dogs answer the door. Most strangers avoid knocking.
  • CouchSpud
    CouchSpud Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    No. Sometimes I tip toe over to the door, have a look who it is and then turn around to snugg;e up on the couch again - I actually only open the door if I ordered something or expecting some one lol
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I don't answer my door or my phone ... * one exception to answering my phone *

Unless I invited you or am expecting you ... oh well ! Just leave a note ! LOL ! :wink:
  • sarahp86
    sarahp86 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I rarely answer my door unless I'm expecting someone. If they're insistent and keep knocking I bring my dog (bullmastiff) to the door with me. He's a really placid dog but he's very protective of me and his size alone will frighten people.
  • dippystick
    dippystick Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Glad to know I'm not the only one.