Replies

• maryrr88
    maryrr88 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • amylynna1
    amylynna1 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I really think everyone is different. Makes sense, but what worked for me when I was in my 40s is not working now in my 50s. And trust me I am trying hard. I've been around the block a few times and know that people have different metabolisms and some definitely WOULD gain on that program and some would shed pounds easily enough.

It gets very discouraging when someone says THIS is the magic ticket and then it doesn't work for someone else. I am happy when something works for someone else though.

Find out what works for you...but in general I agree. We are hurting our bodies, stressing them out and making them susceptible to illness and disease when we over diet and over exercise.

I agree this may not work for everyone. What does? But those who arr working out hard and metabolisms are rising it is working! BUT maybe not everyone. I feel it depends on you activity level, age and maybe other factors. But for those it is working its commitment and trusting you body that making it happen!

I agree dont over diet or exercise I did that and my body retained everything. It made me gain weight and feel like crap
  • amylynna1
    amylynna1 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I used the number 66 instead of 665. Got 1105. Makes a LOT more sense!

then number should be 665. Remember this is about losing fat and gaining muscle. Anything under 1200 is really bad. I was at 1200 and didnt loose uped to 1400 and lost 2 pds!!!

I was also at 1200 and upped only to 1300 but started losing more - I am now upping my calories again :)

YAY!!!!!! ITS WORKING remember stay committed and please continue to work out. You need to run to eat to loose!
  • Skinny_Kitty
    Skinny_Kitty Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    This # is to MAINTAIN. My calculate calories if 2125 which would kepp me exactly where I am now if I continued to eat this way. I am currently eating 1460 a day. Now.. this is true if you are working out hard core and burning more than 1000 calories a day. My friend did the boot camp and she was eating around 2500 calories a day and she was still losing FAST, however she was doing the boot camp workout for 1 hour in the morning and running 10 miles a night, 5 days a week. She was buring so many calories, that she needed to eat a lot more to keep her body nourised and going.
  • QueenMother14
    QueenMother14 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    equation
  • Brook70
    Brook70 Posts: 164
    Options
    Bump
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Is there usually a gain before the loss begins if you haven't been eating this way previously? I just want to be prepared.

According to the formula, my number was 2318. On MFP, my daily caloric intake is 1310 before exercise. I burn around 600-700 calories 5 days per week, Around 400-500 on the weekends. I weigh 156 and want to weigh 128, so I used the numbers for my goal, rather than my current weight.

I'm a bit worried about eating more, but I'm pretty stalled on my weight loss at the moment and am willing to try it.

This is where people are not understanding the point of eating back exercise cals. You're not burning calories ONLY during your workouts. You're burning calories ALL day long, 24/7...even while sleeping. The average amount of calories you burn while completely sedentary is called your Base Metabolic Rate. Your BMR is how many calories you'd burn if you did nothing but lay around 24/7. That's the MINIMUM amount of calories you should be taking in without exercising. On an average day, even without a workout, you're burning more than your BMR just by your regular daily activity. When you add to that your workout calories, and the fact that workouts boost metabolism so you're burning at a higher rate for the next several hours, your calorie deficit is enormous if you don't eat back your workout calories. You need calories for energy. If you don't have enough, your body won't function efficiently and your metabolism will slow way down, thus, decreasing the amount of calories you are burning. That being said, however, the standard BMR calculations do not take into account medical conditions like insulin resistance and hypothyroidism. People with such conditions burn calories at a much slower rate, so they need fewer calories to begin with. I don't know of any way to accurately account for these conditions. Personally, I have both IR and HT, so I set my base calories about 200 under what MFP says it should be, then I only eat back about 2/3's of my exercise calories rather than the full amount. I've been doing this for about six months now, and it seems to be working pretty well so far. I'm not an expert by any means, I'm just going by personal experience and what the health/fitness professional at my gym have taught me.
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I actually joined a group about this (eating for who you want to be) where you set your calories for maintenance at GOAL weight, and then don't eat your exercise cals. For me, that's 2400 cals a day. And guess what - I've lost more in three weeks of doing this than I did in 5 weeks of eating 1200 plus exercise.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I actually joined a group about this (eating for who you want to be) where you set your calories for maintenance at GOAL weight, and then don't eat your exercise cals. For me, that's 2400 cals a day. And guess what - I've lost more in three weeks of doing this than I did in 5 weeks of eating 1200 plus exercise.

That's pretty much what the Fat to Fit radio site does too, and their numbers for me with a goal of 125 came up similar to the numbers I am using now.

According to that site, my TDEE at 125lbs and lightly active comes out at 1752, and the numbers I'm using as set by Dan is 1750, so very very close.

http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
  • livingaloha
    Options
    bump to read later
  • lilsassymom
    lilsassymom Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    If I stall I think I might try that...sounds good!
  • icclepodge
    Options
    Bump
  • kmh_97
    Options
    I had my a-ha moment yesterday. I started on Jan 2, lost 7 pounds in a month eating 1200 calories and riding a stationary bike for 30-60 minutes 4 times a week. Then after that initial loss, I got nothing and even gained a couple pounds. Yesterday after doing some reading I realized that I probably was not eating enough. If I was only eating 1200 calories and then burning between 2-300, I was trying to function on 900 calories. I don't know why this didn't dawn on me before. After doing this formula, I came up with 2232. I upped my calories yesterday to 1500 on MFP. Is that a good starting point or do I need to up my calories even more.

Thanks-I am not so good with numbers!
  • pinkita
    pinkita Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I always get stuck on figuring out my activity level. The post says 4+ days/week of boot camp would be "moderately active." Well, I don't do boot camp, but I walk most days at least 60mins (on weekends 90-120), and I do 30mins 3x/week of a workout with dumbells.... nothing extreme in my exercise so I get stuck on which category of "active" to consider myself.

Using the calculation posted, I got 2145-2418 daily (to maintain?), so subtracting 500 cals daily from that is what I should do to lose 1lb/week?
  • deniserenee_02
    deniserenee_02 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    1978.9 calories a day WOW.
  • FitMama2013
    FitMama2013 Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I always get stuck on figuring out my activity level. The post says 4+ days/week of boot camp would be "moderately active." Well, I don't do boot camp, but I walk most days at least 60mins (on weekends 90-120), and I do 30mins 3x/week of a workout with dumbells.... nothing extreme in my exercise so I get stuck on which category of "active" to consider myself.

Using the calculation posted, I got 2145-2418 daily (to maintain?), so subtracting 500 cals daily from that is what I should do to lose 1lb/week?

I'm the same way...so I use the sedentary setting and then add my exercise myself. So, I still eat back ALL of my exercise calories!
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    the 665 is probably the boot camp exercise calories. Check your calculations, subtract the 665 and see if thats closer.

I know with p90x they say add about 600 calories on workout days.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    the 665 is probably the boot camp exercise calories. Check your calculations, subtract the 665 and see if thats closer.

I know with p90x they say add about 600 calories on workout days.

The 665 is part of the BMR calculation, and does not take into account exercise. Google it, the formula listed above is the same as stated on many websites.

http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/bmr-formula.php

http://www.fitness.com/tools/bmr/
  • Yori1
    Yori1 Posts: 142
    Options
    bump
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Here are the problems with calculators and formulas:

1. People over estimate their activity level.
    2. People UNDERESTIMATE their bodyfat%.

The formula used in this thread is old and inaccurate. You are better of going by estimates.

I suggest you check this out.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=121703981

Remember you have to use trial and error, it's going to take time. And please don't uses %'s when calculating macros. Your body is not some slider, it doesn't recognize %'s. Stick to LBM when choosing macros.