Is taking my own pancake mix too far?

Options
1235»

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    How much calorie difference in yours and theirs - a normal pancake is about 100 calories, if yours is 50cals then that's only an extra 50 - that's not really going to wreck your day is it?

Go, have fun, and dance/run/walk/cycle/train the extra off tomorrow.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I always bring my own food to things...if I am going somewhere that I won't be able to properly 'calorie count'...

For example, on the weekend I brought my own snacks to the cinema. I didn't want to eat their popcorn where I wouldn't know how much butter/fat/calories I was necessarily consuming...

That being said, on the occasion it is okay to indulge. Maybe just plan for it by eating extremely healthy throughout the day, or the next day...etc. You have to let yourself live a little too. :)
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    close to being very rude, but if she's your BFF, you'd probably get away with it.

The only other possibility that comes to mind is that you could offer to bring some pancake mix, so that your hostess doesn't end up providing all the food. No-one need know that the recipe you've used is low-calorie.

Great Idea! I recently did this at a family reunion. My cousin did the cooking but I brought a cheesecake. The hungry girl recipie. Everyone loved it and no one new it was low cal. Make it look like you are just being a good guest. Maybe even put it in a fancy container, pop a bow on it, and call it a "hostess gift."
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Ruby, I have to say I think this is taking things a little too far. Insisting on using your own pancake mix could complicate things for your hostess, which is never a good idea. Enjoy one or two pancakes, and if you are worried about the few extra calories, compensate a little tomorrow, either with food choices or exercise. Life is too short not to enjoy spending time with friends, and it sounds like insisting on using a different pancake mix is likely to make your evening more stressful for everyone, including you.

If you know the hostess really, REALLY well, you might be able to email her one of the recipes you've found (provided it doesn't require any unusual ingredients AT ALL), saying that it's a great recipe and low in calories, and you thought you'd share it in case she might want to use it. Only go down this route if you are VERY close, though, and she knows and supports your weight-loss goals. It's perilously close to being very rude, but if she's your BFF, you'd probably get away with it.

The only other possibility that comes to mind is that you could offer to bring some pancake mix, so that your hostess doesn't end up providing all the food. No-one need know that the recipe you've used is low-calorie.
    Best and thoughtful answer.
    And don't say you are allergic unless you truly are b/c someone will know you've eaten flour, milk, and eggs before without difficulty.
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I am clearly in the minority here but I truly hope you take your own pancake mix...or get new friends if they are going to find you rude for caring about what you eat! Ok, I am kidding about ditching your friends but SERIOUSLY, there is nothing rude about eating what is best for you. Honestly, any host that would make you feel bad about it is a rude host.

She wouldn't need to worry about ditching her friends. A Faux Pas such as this and she won't be invited over to the friends anymore after this. It is incredibly RUDE for you to even consider doing this. If one of my guests showed up with their own food I would be incredibly offended and they would most likely not be invited back.
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I really wouldn't worry about it. But if you feel you must, tell your friend you found an amazing new pancake recipe that you've been dying to try. Offer to make up a batch for the get-together. That way you keep it healthy and include them in the process. They don't have to know that it's a healthier alternative unless they ask.

Otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it all. Have fun!
  • waferzdog
    Options
    I love the idea of bringing "The" pancake mix. Helps out the hostess and you know exactly what your eating. I haven't done pancakes since signing up, but I would venture to guess that the toppings might be more of an issue (butter, syrup, sugar, fruit, etc). Personnally I'm a pizza person and have learned what to do to prepare to eat pizze and what type of pizza to have (toppings, crust, etc)
  • pogojr
    pogojr Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I would have tried to adjust my eating throughout the day to allow for the possibility of eating out of the normal in the evening. Another option would be to eat before and bring something to pass - fruit or veggie platter (you can normally stop and pick up a pre-made tray at the deli) - or a favorite healthy snack to nibble on during the evening. For future events, offer up front to bring part of the main meal and that way you will have something that you are comfortable with and who knows, your friends might enjoy your "healthy" dish.
  • natalieg0307
    natalieg0307 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I would be sure to eat well that day.....throw in an extra workout.....go to my friends house...eat a slice of pizza and a pancake (is it just me? or is that an odd combination?), and have fun with my friends. Go have fun! Life's too short to worry about 1 slice of pizza.
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    You say you don't want food to get in the way of having a good time, but you are. You're letting a pancake freak you out! Pancakes are like, 100 calories each or thereabouts. Are you going to hide away from pizza and pancakes once you've got to your maintenance weight? Certain foods in moderation are fine. If you really feel like you overdid it, make up for it tomorrow with healthier food choices and exercise. You are 126lbs according to your profile, hardly overweight, you are not going to gain 10lbs overnight by eating one or two pancakes and possibly a slice of pizza.

By all means, bring something that everyone in the party can share, such as healthier toppings, but bringing your own mix to use by yourself is potentially alienating your friends. You're basically telling the hostess you think your choice is better than hers. I wouldn't mind someone bringing a healthy salad bowl or whatever to a party of mine, but if someone brought the same thing I was planning to make them to eat alone, I would probably find it rude to be honest.
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    This is what I would do. I see nothing wrong with it at all. If someone asks you can say why you brought them for real or just say you have an allergy that prevents you from eating the others lol!
    [/quote]

Wow! Now people are suggesting you lie about why you bring your own food? I hope this is a joke.
    If you really need to take your own food talk to the hostess first or eat before you go. But don't lie about it. How does that help anyone understand that being healthy is important to you?
  • danipals
    danipals Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I agree that it would be rude (even though I'd be tempted too!) What about bringing a big bowl of berries or something healthy and limiting your pancakes to one or two. They aren't going to make or break you and you should enjoy your get-together! It would be worth it to avoid the discussions and making yourself and your host uncomfortable.
  • cecilia0909
    cecilia0909 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    My theory is: If you can't attend social events without constantly worrying about calories and diet, you might as well stay in your house forever!

Life is way too short. Eat, drink and be merry! You won't gain 10 lbs overnight and you will most likely be under your TDEE.

Enjoy the pancake/pizza party!

This. Said perfectly!

I enjoy pizza and ice cream with my kids. It's about moderation.
  • DataBased
    DataBased Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    .... It's about moderation.
    What she said1
  • sopherella
    Options
    I'm with lynheff. Bring a huge salad to share. That way you aren't putting off your hostess by having her cook you something special at the last minute (planning a party with food is enough work) and you are adding to the party (instead of eating something you can not share). If you really feel guilty about eating too much of something why not burn off the calories by offering to help the hostess clean up?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Same advice I gave to someone else in another thread: All of this should be about making your life better... making you healthier and happier. It shouldn't RULE your life.

Taking your own low-cal pancake mix is letting the process rule your life. Enjoy the party. Have some pancakes. Have some pizza.
  • kealey1318
    kealey1318 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Hopefully the other folks at the pancake/pizza party will be having too much fun stuffing their own faces and chatting to pay any attention to whether or not you are bringing your own pancakes. If I was having the party, and I wasn't able to accomodate ALL of my guests' dietary needs, then I wouldn't blink twice if they brought something... Shoot, I wouldn't care if they brought something even if there wasn't a dietary need.
  • swood0114
    Options
    Uh personally I'd just do like an endurance spin class that day and then EAT PIZZA AND PANCAKES LIKE CRAZY. My two favorite food groups!! I went to Cic's just the other day after endurance spin :) Pizza, cinnamon rolls, dessert pizza, and brownies!
  • HeidiRene
    HeidiRene Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I am going to have to stop reading this thread b/c it's making my blood boil. Haha! (I need to get over it.) I am literally flabbergasted by how ridiculous I find the attitude that eating the pancakes that make you comfortable is a big deal or rude or a reason to not be friends with someone. Oh well, our differences make the world go round I suppose. Now I am going to take a chill pill, forbid myself from reading this thread anymore and being uber thankful that I hang out with people who would support my weight loss goals if I felt like I needed to bring my own pancake mix. This is not a topic that I would have predicted would turn out to be so divisive...I had no idea we all had such strong feelings about this. Funny.
  • thejackswild79
    Options
    Just relax and enjoy a reasonable portion and move on. Your friends work hard to put together dinners for large groups. Enjoy their hard work and offer to help out. One meal is not a deal breaker for weight loss. And like so many people said: eat something before you go so you aren't ravenous AND put in a good workout to kill the nagging guilt.