Does it REALLY matter where calories come from?

Options

Replies

• UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Umm, yes it does matter. Not all calories are the same. If you want to lose weight you will need to ease off the sugar. And remember sometimes you might not see a drop on the scale right away, it does take time. But again if you are eating bad foods then you will not see any progress.

How was it that I ate ice cream and still lost weight?

You can have a cheat meal and still lose weight. You can't eat ice cream all day everyday and expect to lose weight.

If I ate it "all day everyday" I would eat too many calories. So is it the calories or the ice cream?
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Umm, yes it does matter. Not all calories are the same. If you want to lose weight you will need to ease off the sugar. And remember sometimes you might not see a drop on the scale right away, it does take time. But again if you are eating bad foods then you will not see any progress.

You can have a cheat meal and still lose weight. You can't eat ice cream all day everyday and expect to lose weight.

Twinkie diet:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html
  • dennydifferent
    dennydifferent Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Depends on your metabolism. Specifically, probably, how damaged your beta cells are. If I ate ice cream every day, calorie deficit or not I probably wouldn't lose weight. Genetics and years of obesity got me there. You have nice friendly genes and an intact metabolism, so for you, calories are calories. My mitochondria beg to differ, unfortunately.
  • zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    You will loose weight. But thin isnt always healthy. Just use balance.
  • hottottie11
    hottottie11 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    Strictly from weight loss perspective...no.

For fullness and meal satiety...yes.
    For Body composition....yes.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options

Really now? I have several friends who eat chocolate, ice cream, pizza, Chinese food, and other foods that most people would consider "bad" and they've lost plenty of weight. A calorie is a freaking calorie. If you want to be healthier all around, then yes it does matter and you shouldn't eat a lot of sugar, but really it's not going to hinder you a lot unless you eat a ton of it. Your body does need sugar, fat and carbs to work correctly.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    Options

plus your body burns healthy cals easier than bad ones.

broscience!
  • kikiwinks
    kikiwinks Posts: 23 Member
    Options

If I ate it "all day everyday" I would eat too many calories. So is it the calories or the ice cream?

For your meals. We can sit here and go back and forth, it won't make a difference. You can have your opinion and I mine.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options

That doesn't sum it up at all. If he was eating the same calories of healthy food, would the weight loss be the same? I'm not going to disagree with what happened. Starving yourself with twinkies will work.
  • kikiwinks
    Options

Really now? I have several friends who eat chocolate, ice cream, pizza, Chinese food, and other foods that most people would consider "bad" and they've lost plenty of weight. A calorie is a freaking calorie. If you want to be healthier all around, then yes it does matter and you shouldn't eat a lot of sugar, but really it's not going to hinder you a lot unless you eat a ton of it. Your body does need sugar, fat and carbs to work correctly.

Actually all calories are not the same. Do some research.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    It makes the whole difference.
    empty calories vs nutritious calories.
    do you wanna be fit and healthy?
    or do you wanna be malnourished and too weak to appreciate any accidental weight loss?
  • kikiwinks
    Options

I would be glad to give you links to numerous articles stating so.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    Options

Oh, yeah, because it's on the internet it's totally legit.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Calories ----> Weight change
    Macronutrient totals
    > Body Composition
    Micronutrients
    > Health

And this assumes sensibility as it pertains to an individuals medical conditions or allergies/intolerances.

Lastly, losing weight improves health markers by itself.
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    Some people can eat whatever they want. Some people cant. It depends on your body. I can have some things that are "bad" every now and then and am fine. And as long as MOST (and I really mean MOST) of your calories are good, then you should be ok. I cant exercise that kind of self control yet, so I dont. And if that is what it takes, I am ok with it. If I can one day regulate my sweets and carbs, I will, If I cant, I wont. I am ok with only having it VERY VERY RARELY, even if for the rest of my life. I have been doing it for years, and I like the results, so I will stick with it. Aside from my valentines candy that I am having one piece of each day, I havent really had sweets in several months.
  • kikiwinks
    Options

Fact makes it true and believe it or not some websites are actually legit. Oh and what is so legit about you opinion?
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options

You can't argue with broscience.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options

^ I agree- also- white sugar is a toxin and your body has no use for it. Read what happens to you when you drink a coke, and what happens when you eat a TBSP of white sugar.

Seriously- some people can eat whatever and they are fine... but they arent fine.

Anyone that thinks that weight loss is as easy as playing by numbers and waiting for your winnings, needs to do more research.

And prepare for a rocking disappointment.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Yes it matters. There is a metabolic advantage to eating more protein over less. Also some people function better on low-carb/high-fat and others function better on low-fat/high-carb. There are health, performance, and long term sustainability considerations as well that are dependent on more than just the number of calories consumed.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    ^ I agree- also- white sugar is a toxin and your body has no use for it. Read what happens to you when you drink a coke, and what happens when you eat a TBSP of white sugar.

Your body can use white sugar and coke as an energy source. Aside from the lacking nutritional value of a coke, what does your body do with the coke when you compare it to vegetables, for example?