Does it REALLY matter where calories come from?

Options

Replies

• chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Umm, yes it does matter. Not all calories are the same. If you want to lose weight you will need to ease off the sugar. And remember sometimes you might not see a drop on the scale right away, it does take time. But again if you are eating bad foods then you will not see any progress.

How was it that I ate ice cream and still lost weight?

You can have a cheat meal and still lose weight. You can't eat ice cream all day everyday and expect to lose weight.

I ate cookies EVERY single day and lost nearly 60lbs.

I still eat cookies EVERY single day and I've been maintaining that loss for the last 18 months.

Eating a serving size of ice cream every day isn't going to make you fat. Calories in/Calories out. Sheesh.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    It makes the whole difference.
    empty calories vs nutritious calories.
    do you wanna be fit and healthy?
    or do you wanna be malnourished and too weak to appreciate any accidental weight loss?

Pretty sure I'm not malnourished and weak....

Pretty sure you aren't either- as you look like you eat healthy- and not sit down to a 1 cup serving of sugar and a spoon.
  • egelderm
    Options
    It depends what kind of sugars you eat. are you eating refined sugars? and bad sugar? Sugar from fruit doesn't matter. Your body can deal with that like it's nothing. but sugar found in cookies. cakes etc. IS BAD, and will make the difference in weight loss. Try to not eat bad sugar.... calories do matter, definately. When we refine sugars and stuff then eat it, our bodies can't break down that chemical structure as easily as how it is in it's natural form, and it slows down the breaking down of fat process, and can actually contribute to fat you eat not being metabolized. Also, if you eat good fat calories vs. bad fat calories... that is also a huge difference. If you eat 10 cal. of good fats and 10 of bad... that could make a HUGE difference. So calories do matter and where you get them from matters. :smile:
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    It makes the whole difference.
    empty calories vs nutritious calories.
    do you wanna be fit and healthy?
    or do you wanna be malnourished and too weak to appreciate any accidental weight loss?

Pretty sure I'm not malnourished and weak....

Pretty sure you aren't either- as you look like you eat healthy- and not sit down to a 1 cup serving of sugar and a spoon.

But I had 20 oz of sugary mountain dew today, and 8 Ferrero Rocher yesterday....
  • yoovie
    Options
    And that's wrong because?

EDIT: Yo- why do people keep thinking I say dont eat sweet stuff? or that you cant have anything fun? I have admitted like three times now that I add probably two tbsp of white terrible *kitten* sugar to my food each day. And thats just ADDED sugar...

wtf - ive been here a week- people love to hate. Im just here cause I dig Luke, I know a bunch of things that might help him answer his question and I felt like sharing in case it could actually help.

I apologise for getting into conversations with other people.

My bad.
  • yoovie
    Options
    From an energy in, energy out standpoint - No, it does not matter. Your weight loss, or lack thereof may be due to fluid retention or other factors which could explain the numbers on the scale. For example, 2 cups of water weighs about a pound. If you're retaining water or experiencing any swelling it's easy for weight to "hide" there. Personally, I feel that if I've only got "x" calories to play with, I'm going to make sure they're packed with as many nutrients as possible so I'm not staring at the cupboard at the end of the day.

THIS!
  • Rae6503
    Options
    So lets go back to Luke's post:
    Ok...I constantly see posts about how it doesn't matter where cals come from...but I'm finding either I have a grave misunderstanding of this or its just not true. Last week I stayed under my cals the majority of the week and lost no weight. But I ate a lot of sugary things (something I didn't think about until this morning).

So I guess the question is...even if you're under your cals can too much sugar negate the cal deficit?

A lot of us are saying, no his sugar intake did not negate the calorie deficit.

You said sugar was a "toxin".

You also said you don't have time to read papers on the subject.

Since you don't want to read papers, even though this is "broscience" by definition, I presenting myself as an example of the fact that sugar intake doesn't matter and that you can still lose weight, meet your fitness goals, and be healthy while ingesting moderate to large amounts of sugar in addition to adequate intake of macro nutrients.

So, lets go back to his post. No, sugar intake does not prevent weight loss when consumed as part of a calorie deficit diet.

The End.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I have admitted like three times now that I add probably two tbsp of white terrible *kitten* sugar to my food each day.
    Where do you buy white terrible *kitten* sugar?
  • killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I have admitted like three times now that I add probably two tbsp of white terrible *kitten* sugar to my food each day.
    Where do you buy white terrible *kitten* sugar?
    I prefer high grade *kitten* sugar myself. Usually of the brown sort.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    LMAO...there are some pretty fantastic posts in this thread.
  • yoovie
    Options
    I never said I dont have time to read papers on it- I am the one that is quoting papers.

I said white sugar was a toxin- and was told to elaborate- which I did.

If you don't want to speak to me, ad have me answer you, then simply dont talk to me.

Youre beautiful.
    You have a beautiful family.
    Youre making progress.
    Youre doing it your way.
    Youre obviously intelligent.
    Why do you care so obsessively what Luke and I are talking about on the internet?
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    Filling yourself with junk is doing nothing positive for your health. If you're making the change to lose weight, also make the change to become healthier overall...
  • simon_pickard
    simon_pickard Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I wonder what the net calorie loss was from all the BS typed on this thread? At least there's a positive we can all agree on.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Im sorry if sometimes you have to read a goddamn book if you want sources- you trolls always want a link cause you're too lazy to stand up to check out something for yourself.

if it isnt a link, it isnt proof.

gfy

I'm not friends with Sidesteal but from history of posts he is one of the most informed members on this site that is always very thorough in his research and posts.

Thats absolutely wonderful! When I find people I come across on here who are informed and carry tact so that their message can be heard- I totally save them or at the very least- look forward to reading their posts when I encounter them.

But people who assume everyone that havent spoken to is a retard that has no idea what they are talking about, well, I tend to do my best not to waste energy trying to discuss things with them.

Some people love to hear what others know, some people love to share information, some people love exploring opposing sides...

and some people learn how to argue so that even if the other person's point is valid, they still want to make them look as though they cannot argue a point- so they attack grammar- or placement of sources, or want a link instead of names.

And some people just like to join a weight loss site- so they can steal before photos and make memes from those who are here trying.

I dont know which he is, and if I come across him several times and he seems to me like someone who is well informed and wants to be helpful- then awesome. If not- awesome as well- he owes me nothing.

But there are trolls on this site. And there are troll groupies.

I think you're taking all of this way too personally. I don't see anyone on this thread attacking you but you seem to have taken a very defensive stance. Maybe unplugging for a bit would be a good idea...
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    If I had to choose between meeting my calorie goal in gross crappy food, like McD'sand fried chicken and cookies, and eating way over my calorie goal in healthy food, I would choose to go over.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    So glucose and fructose are fine, but "white sugar" is toxic? White sugar, chemically known as sucrose, which is a molecule consisting of 50% glucose, and 50% fructose. Yeah, that makes logical sense. The digestive system has an enzyme in it that recognizes this "evil white sugar," and immediately cleaves it into glucose and fructose, and then uses it just like getting glucose and fructose from any other source... It's not toxic, it's one of the easiest, quickest, most efficient energy sources available to the human body.

Also, sugar does not automatically turn to fat, excess calories over your maintenance levels turn to fat. Sugar gets burned for energy long before it could ever get turned to fat.

To answer the original question, no. If you stick to your calorie goals, and your metabolism is functioning normally, then it makes no difference what ratio your calories are made up of in order to lose weight.
  • Rae6503
    Options
    I never said I dont have time to read papers on it- I am the one that is quoting papers.

I said white sugar was a toxin- and was told to elaborate- which I did.

If you don't want to speak to me, ad have me answer you, then simply dont talk to me.

Youre beautiful.
    You have a beautiful family.
    Youre making progress.
    Youre doing it your way.
    Youre obviously intelligent.
    Why do you care so obsessively what Luke and I are talking about on the internet?

Thank you for the compliments.

I don't care what Luke and you are talking about. However, Luke posted his question on the forum, not directly to you. I was trying to answer it. Additionally, when someone posts things that are misleading I like to try to correct them for the benefit of other users.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie. But the nutrition you get from said calories is vastly diffrent depending on what you eat. That said just try to be balanced in your food selection. Something sweet wont kill you otherwise there would be no one on MFP.
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    Alright everyone no more arguing. Seriously...I didn't realize this would get to be such a controversial topic. I have learned a lot and appreciate all the responses. But fighting online isn't going to burn any calories...

If you guys wanna have an MFP boxing match however....
  • RangerSteve
    Options

I didnt say fructose, I didnt say glucose, I say plain white sugar. Of COURSE there are many kinds of sugar thatyour body needs. I specified one.

correct also. I said its not JUST a numbers game and you cant just play it and expect it to just be handed to you. You have to be smart and still allow a margi of error for your body taking its own time to adjust as you change your diet. If you say to yourself- Im going to burn 3500 calories today and that will guarantee that I will lose one pound- then youre just playing the numbers game.

You aren't truly paying attention to all the science.

Plain white sugar is fructose and glucose. So why are you saying fructose and glucose have a use but not sucrose? (table sugar) Should people use a lab to separate table sugar down to its simplest form in order to use it?

It is JUST a numbers game. Thermodynamics is a science, hence why I used the twinkie diet as an example of why it works. I am paying attention to all the science. It seems you're the one not paying attention to it.