Giving up anything for Lent that will help you lose weight?

Options

Replies

• maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I'm giving up "seconds," i.e. second helpings of dinner, snacks, etc. So I am not giving up any food group, or any food in particular, just the need to get MORE of it.
  • HopeytheHopester
    HopeytheHopester Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm Catholic and I'm giving up CHOCOLATE sweets because giving up sweets entirely is to hard.:sad:
  • hauer01
    hauer01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I am giving up Soda Pop. That addiction as overcome me for too long. So, if I need caffine, then I will drink Tea! Otherwise, it will be water. Happy Ash Wednesday Everyone!
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I'm not Catholic either but I'm giving up soda pop. I'm hoping by the end I won't want it any more and will not go back to drinking it.
  • LauraHasABabyJack
    LauraHasABabyJack Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I am giving up Soda Pop. That addiction as overcome me for too long. So, if I need caffine, then I will drink Tea! Otherwise, it will be water. Happy Ash Wednesday Everyone!

lol...I never see anyone else call it soda pop!
  • sabrina32576
    sabrina32576 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'm also giving up soda.
  • ToniBolognie
    Options
    No ordering food of any kind. So unless I make it in my own kitchen, I will not eat it. That might be tough, but it will help me save money and eat healthy.
  • merrylea
    merrylea Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    A bunch of my friends are taking part in a 47 day running streak... you have to run (or walk) at least 10 min every day of lent. While I'm not back up running form... this will sure help me get back into shape! To add the religious spin to it for those that are especially religious, some are meditating on a bible verse every day while working out.
  • JJinWI
    JJinWI Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Baked goods and candy. Baked goods are my downfall - I really love them. The first week of Lent is difficult, but it gets easier. I've been doing this for over 8 years and it feels really good.
  • Alinat305
    Options
    Giving up desert:sad:
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    We aren't religious, but I grew up giving up vices for lent in a Catholic house. This year I'm giving up chocolate and cheese! I live in Switzerland, so this is HARD work! I'm vegetarian, so giving up cheese will challenge me to find more healthy protein sources.

My husband is giving up bread.

Good luck to you all!
  • TheRyanMeister
    Options
    I am giving up chocolate and alcohol. I gave up alcohol three weeks ago and I am just going to continue to refrain from drinking but the chocolate...that is going to be a tough one. I use both alcohol and chocolate to make myself feel better and I need a better, more healthy way to reward myself or to make myself feel better after a rough day. I'm sure that we all need some motivation for these next 46 days. Good Luck everyone and WE CAN DO IT!
  • spookytune
    spookytune Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Last time I gave up something for Lent it was meat. I've been a pescatarian for 4 years now. Think I will give up fast food this time. Hope to have the same result, though will definitely be much harder to stick to.
  • ❤lindsay❤dawn❤
    Options
    I'm giving up my snooze button to get an extra 15 minutes of exercise in the morning... : ))

Edited for grammatical errors... : /
  • elly68
    elly68 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    i'm giving up chocolate i am miserable without it though lol putting at least 50 p a day away though as thats what i spend .
  • Lotte34
    Lotte34 Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    CARBS!!!! (and just for the record im not religious either)
  • bissenhotel
    Options
    Diet coke and ice cream. Both are almost a daily indulgence ;-)
  • Brandongood
    Brandongood Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I want to give up cheeseburgers and pizza. But I have to ask myself, am I giving it up for fitness or for Jesus. If its not for Jesus, then it defeats the purpose of Lent.
  • Gogobecky
    Options
    I'm not Catholic...but I'm going to try to give up my negative thoughts. They lead to self-doubt and depression and that derails me in a lot of ways, not just my fat loss efforts...

OOO! I like that one! I grew up Catholic, but I'm now Baptist, so my mom asked me what I was giving up...so it's still part of my routine this time of year. Think I might do this! Thanks for the idea!
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I'm going to give up fast food I think, even though I'm not religious. just seems like a good idea and a good time to have support/be supportive of everyone! however, I'm not sure what to classify as fast food. I might keep *responsible* salads at fast food places just so I don't have to starve myself from lack of time to make a meal lol.