who here worries about getting older?

Options

Replies

• GuerrillaHermit
    Options
    My motto: I want to die young, at a very old age.

I had a wonderful career and many memories to look back upon, raised 4 great kids. Now, I am in my 60s and having the time of my life. I work for a health club 3 days a week for chump change, do a bunch of volunteer work, teach one college class, and take a couple of classes myself - being older is a ball. I'm smarter, free-er, and have the time to do what I want to do. I don't have to prove anything to anyone - indeed, my wish is to be struck dead by falling space junk while jogging .... on my 90th. birthday.

These are the kind of things that put me at ease when I hear them, I always make myself look to the future with hope that everything I do now will pay off. I cannot wait for the times I am free of the grind of schooling and work and can enjoy the fruit of my labour. But, on my way to those times, I am having a blast by taking on things I never imagined, getting in shape, and just being grateful each day that I have the opportunity.
  • crazycat80
    crazycat80 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I used to worry about getting older. 31 was a sad birthday because I was no longer attached by proxy to the 20s anymore. I remember looking back and thinking I'd never have the energy and body that I had at 21... But then I realized that when I hit 41, I'd look back and wish I had my 31 yr old body, so maybe I should stop dwelling on the past and look forward to today. I think I'm actually healthier than I was at 21, even if my joints sometimes don't agree.
    And I second another poster. I struggled with acne and wrinkles until I started living cleaner. Your skin really does reflect what you put in your body. I nixed the soda and upped the water, added some carrots and baby greens, and even though I'll never have A+ skin due to scarring, I can at least go to work without makeup and still get compliments on how my skins glows.
    I had a good time when I was younger. I did lots of crazy stuff, I didn't settle down and have kids too soon, and I think I've planned it out to where if I keep on taking care of myself, I'll have a good 15 years after the kids are out of the house to blow their inheritance on trips and such.
    Don't dwell on what's behind you, just grab the horns of what ahead, because that is something you can control!
  • jacquelyn_erika
    jacquelyn_erika Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Cause I sure do. I'm 25 in 5 months time and i have done bugger all with my life, going from job to job. I've applied for a childcare course to start in September, but I'm not sure it's really what I want to do until I retire. My partner said I'd be good at it. But then again, what else am I gonna do! I've been thinking what do for the last 5 years. I started a make up course last year, was going to start a psychology course round about now, but cancelled it due to thinking im too dumb for it.

It's not just that what's getting me down. It's my face. I can see a lot of difference. Wrinkles appearing round the eyes. Dull grey skin. I cant go out without make up cause I look ill. I have to wear at least foundation if im popping to the shop. For work, full make up. I want to feel comfortable. My partner thinks I look better without make up. I don't know what planet he's on!

When I have kids, I don't want to pass on my insecurites to them. I was bullied at school, always being told I was ugly and it still sticks. I wish I didn't look the way I did. I look at girls in magazines and in the street, even on here, and wish I was them :(

Before I know it I'll be 35.

I feel like I wrote this. I turn 24 in 4 months and I just bought ANTI AGING CREAM last night! Ugh! My boyfriend also thinks I look better without make-up. He. is. crazy.
  • mleipe
    mleipe Posts: 54
    Options
    I'm 51 in April and I'm still not sure what I want to do when / if I grow up.

I really don't think of it as growing older, I look at it as growing up and I'm enjoying it immensely.

I'm a better skier than I've ever been in the 35 years I've been doing it. I'm a better (amateur) musician than I've been in the 35 years I've been doing that. I truly believe that I'm a better father than my own father was. I may not be a high-level executive of a huge corporation as some of my school classmates now are, but I'm better at my (lowly, by some standards) job than I've ever been.

I've kicked tobacco and alcohol addictions and am healthier and fitter than I've ever been in my life, seriously.

So getting older...? Look at all those years you have in front of you as opportunities to get better, to learn new things, to make new friends, to experience new experiences. There's a lot of fun to be had out there and if you play your cards right you can do some good while you have that fun.

You're only old once you stop learning and exploring, once you cease to embrace the adventure that is life. And just because it's a different adventure for you than it is for someone else, that doesn't mean your adventure can't be as fulfilling as theirs is.

Oh, and those wrinkles? I've been to a lot of funerals and I've never heard anyone say of the deceased, "But she had wrinkles when she was 25!".
  • hapoo100
    hapoo100 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    i worry about my weight, i worry keeping my job, i even worry that an asteroid the size of texas will smash into the earth, but i have never worried about getting older. Im in my 40s and its pretty cool
  • Lorie66
    Options
    As you get older you will realize what is more important and many of those fears will disappear. This day that you have now you will wish to have back to enjoy so live every min of it making wonderful memories..I am more secure in myself in my 40's than I ever was in my 20's. I heard this would happen and it did. As far as a job you may want for a lifetime, do something you love and have passion for..Is it animals, helping people, creating things? ..only you know the true answer...do some soul searching and I am sure you will never regret it! Best of luck!
  • ericabrothers
    Options
    The only thing that scares me about getting old is getting REALLY old. I worked in an assisted living home and it was so sad to see some of these amazing people who had Alzheimer's. One of the residents was sure she was friends with my mom and introduced me to her daughter every time she came in, which was several times a week. I just went along with it. Honestly working with the elderly was HILARIOUS. The nurse that was supposed to take my place when I was leaving was a bit on the heavy side and one of the ladies who was very active her entire life (still playing sports into her 50's or 60's at least) looked at her and said "Honey you are too pretty to be so big" All I could do was laugh. I LOVED working with the Alzheimer's pts. I believe it takes a special kind of person to be able to work at a place that cares for people like that and everyone should be doing it. People are under the impression that nurses make a boat load of money, not so much. Its a decent living but its such a high stress job and more times than not you are someone's emotional punching bag. I get it though, if my mom or dad had to be in a home they would prob have an alarm for whenever I entered the facility because I would prob be a bit of a ***** if I didn't think my parents were getting the care they deserved. Actually I know I would be. I'm like a momma bear when it comes to my patients (even threatned to call and yell at an attending at Vanderbilt Children's Hospital because they would give one of my pts pain med when he had meningitis. The doc I worked for opted to call because he knew I wouldn't be nice at all) so I'm sure I will be about a million times worse with my own family. Anyway getting older is better than the alternative. I'd rather be on this side of the grass. :smile:
  • katherinemm31
    Options
    I'm not afraid of getting older. Actually, I like being 42 because I don't have to worry about things I used to, like dating, having to care for babies, being stuck in a bad marriage, etc. I have had some unusual experiences, and I've been able to use those to my advantage. I've never felt especially young intellectually or emotionally, probably because of my background, and I've always felt proud of how strong I am in spite of my challenges. I have accomplished quite a bit in spite of myself! :smile:

That said, I wish I could love my body, but fighting weight and self image problems all my life, I have never been able to reach that goal. Usually I look in the mirror and see something I don't like looking at, and when I see photos of myself, it's even worse. I could lose a gazillion pounds and probably still feel this way, but it's not necessarily about aging. If I could get plastic surgery (afford it and justify it in my own mind), I would. A whole body lift and skin reconditioning would be awesome (in theory). It would be better for my self esteem and help my depression, I think. And for health reasons, removing things like inherited saddle bags would also help my knees and hips, which have been in poor shape since my early twenties because I have been overweight on and off my whole life. I am in at least mild pain a lot, which I mostly ignore, but of course, am not fond of. Again, though, I don't see that as an aging thing, since I have lived with it most of my adult life.

Overall, I would say, get philosophical about the aging process. It's interesting. Hang out with older people who are dynamic and productive. And try to think of your current experiences as training for the various periods of your life. And if you have health problems, mentally and/or physically, address them the best you can. You've got a lot to contribute to the world, no matter what age you are!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I worry about it too.
  • Wendi_S
    Wendi_S Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    With age comes experience! Embrace it, you can't stop it!!
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    i have a huge fear of aging...i guess since ppl always thought i was older than my age and it has caused problems for me :(

i have to wear makeup anyway, as i have acne still.

anyway, i like to look up to women like christie brinkley...it makes me feel a little better.

it just sucks that a womans worth is so often based on her appearance/youth :(

i hope one day they create a backward aging formula and/or android things we can live in >.<
  • murf19
    murf19 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I'm 47 and the best shape of my life. I don't feel old at all. I'm loving it right now!
  • ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    Who doesn't worry about getting older? lol :P
  • ericabrothers
    Options
    As you get older you will realize what is more important and many of those fears will disappear. This day that you have now you will wish to have back to enjoy so live every min of it making wonderful memories..I am more secure in myself in my 40's than I ever was in my 20's. I heard this would happen and it did. As far as a job you may want for a lifetime, do something you love and have passion for..Is it animals, helping people, creating things? ..only you know the true answer...do some soul searching and I am sure you will never regret it! Best of luck!

^^^ this
    definately do something you are passionate about. there is no way i could ever see myself not being a nurse. if you find something you are interested in ask if you can job shadow. really get a taste for it and see if it is what you want to do. don't ever think you are too dumb to do something. you never know until you try and if you fail at least you fail knowing you tried it. i have had dr's talk to me like i am stupid because i'm "just a nurse" i really want to say "you know what eff you. i'm not a dr because i don't want to be, not because i'm not smart enough. i hardly studied in nursing school and passed just fine" do what makes you happy and screw everyone else. in the end you are the only one who will ALWAYS be there no matter what. just do what makes you happy and everything else will fall into place. i'm not sure why my boss is a dr but i do think that she regrets missing out on having a family because she was too career driven. so she is a successful doctor but has no one to come home to at night.
  • Sgl_ronin
    Options
    You guys knock it off! I'm 41 and I notice changes in my body every day. I look back and worry... I look forward and worry... I think about all the things my best friend and I were going to do and haven't because "life happened"!

Here is my one piece of true advice because I have made about every mistake you can in life. If you wait for the perfect time to do something it will never happen. Go out and live. I'm not saying that you should risk everything to have fun, (don't take stupid chances) but go live life as much as you can. Do whatever you're interested in so that one day you can say you did things before you couldn't do things because of your body. ~~ There's my basic answer so you can stop here or read on for deeper details~~

What do I mean by this?? The first "traditional" years of my life sucked! I saved money while my friends partied (hated it), I went to college because I was told I had to (hated every second of it). I bought the safe practical car (whoopee). I worked "good" corporate office jobs to the point that I wanted to throw up when I pulled into the parking lot in the morning and I developed an ulcer. I felt old and dead at 25.

Since then (the past 15 years) I said that tradition can bite me! What's the use of being the good guy all the time and essentially knowing what the rest of my life holds until I die?? Now everything I do has a purpose.. and end game. I still do things I don't like sometimes, but it is only part of a plan to move me forward. Do I like dieting and exercising all the time? HELL NO! But I'm a foodie and wine lover, so I know I need to be healthy to enjoy other things I like. As for the rest of my life... remember those last 15 years I was talking about?? Am I completely satisfied? No. Do I hunger for things I don't have yet? YES! But in the mean time... here are some of the things I've added to my life by just deciding to live: I Have a 2nd degree black belt in 1 martial art and 1st degrees in 3 others, I train with police and SWAT, I love food and wine, I cook, I have a great palate, I have 2 degrees, am a certified Vet Tech, I ride horses, motorcycles, I skydive, I snorkle, I have begun to travel, I kayak, rock climb, mountain bike, ski, I am trying to learn 2 languages... I am constantly in motion to fill up my need for life.

Do I still worry about my age... yup. But I sure don't look 41 and sometimes I forget for a little while.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,584 Member
    Options
    It's not the years, it's the miles.
    This. Having trained for over 29 years now, I'm definitely on the downside of my physical abilities. However, I'm still in much, much better shape than the average 25 year old male, so that says something.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • glenr79
    glenr79 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Not me!! I am 32 and in the best shape of my life and will continue to do so the rest of my life!!! eat right and exercise and you will be good to go!!
  • tuffytuffy1
    tuffytuffy1 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    When I was 25, OP, I felt super young! You have your whole life ahead of you! No way should you worry about getting older.

For me, now that I'm 43, I am starting to look a lot older and it definitely is depressing. The skin around my eyes is wrinkled and thin. I'm for sure going to need some work done soon, lol :)
  • StirlingJames
    StirlingJames Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I will be 26 this July. I think I would have been more concerned by this if I didn't have my daughter - who will be three a few days after my birthday. Your focus kinda shifts when you have children I guess.

Oh and the worst part of turning 25 is filling out a survey and hovering over the "16-24" box then realising that you now have to tick the "25-40" box!!
  • ladywolfkahn
    Options
    Please stop with the OMG horror of getting 'older', it is useless worrying about it because it's a fact of life :huh:
    For those of us shackled to a desk for 8 hours, work on changing it or deal with it and look at what you can do with the other hours. Nothing I had planned as a child has come to fruition and guess what I couldn't be more pleased. My plan was to be a doctor, no kids, just me and a couple of pets...Boring
    I turned 50 in January and allowed myself a moment of "what have I done with my life".
    Then I realised I have done the most important thing...I Have LIVED:happy:
    During my trip down the road called life, I discovered, I am strong, resilient and capable of dealing with life's issues. Do I get sad, angry, frustrated? You bet your *kitten* I do, BUT more than anything I get to smile and laugh every day and most importantly I get to love, nature, people, things and that includes me.
    So stop worrying about wrinkles (they're called laughter lines , the body sagging a little ( my doctor calls it the mummy tummy lol). Have I made big mistakes? Yep, Will I make more? Yep Will I learn from them? Maybe and maybe not...who cares.
    The adventure so far has been amazing, in June I head overseas by myself for another adventure woohoo
    What we are doing with our time here, should be the question, so go on get out there and LIVE, LAUGH and LOVE :flowerforyou:
    There is so much I want to do, I have no intention of heading to the pearly gates until I darn well ready :bigsmile: So with that in mind I'm thinking of 120 or 150 in years so at 50 I'm really only a kid still :wink:

^^^THIS Times 10^^^^
    47 this year and can't wait. I feel like my life is just beginning and I can't wait to see where my path leads me,,,,all of it..good. bad and the ugly.

BTW Love your profile pic :-)