who here worries about getting older?

Options

Replies

• missloo12
    missloo12 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I am 32 (I think...), not exactly an old age pensioner, but because I work with lots of younger than me people - only 3 other people in my department are older than me (both my superior advisor and team leader, and I think even my manager!, are younger than me) - I feel very old and feel like I can't go out anymore and party with the rest of them. They are all off in their own teen/early 20's dream world, and I'm just trudging through my life with no hobbies, save for the laptop, and in my own eyes, I don't see that changing. For example, their future is 'What shall I do for my 21st birthday?!' or 'OMG I drank too much last night! LOLZ - where are we going tonight to do the same?'. My future is 'Will I ever be able to save enough money to buy the house with a garden I've always wanted?' That's what getting older means...dreams change and in my case due to current circumstances, seem to never be achievable.

I worry for the future, getting older. I have no special skills, so the only thing I can hope to achieve in my life is that I have created the child that will one day do something special with her own life.

I feel exactly like this. Minus the child. I don't have kids and am a little worried my window is passing, but I am really not ready for it.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    When I was 25 I remember feeling a bit depressed about it - people kept telling me I'd lived 'a quarter of a century'. I had a child and I felt that my youth had gone.

However, since then... at 29 I had my second child, at 32 I went to university, at 36 I got my first degree, at 38 I changed my life round completely, got divorced and remarried, at 42 I got a postgrad, at 46 I got my doctorate, I'm 51 now and really enjoying my life.

I've now lived more than half a century and I wouldn't want to back to being 25 again. Look at the sorts of experiences you have to look forward to if you set out with a will to achieve them. You have most of your life ahead of you girl! And in my opinion, the better part of it :)

As for wrinkles and poor skin - if you eat a clean healthy diet and drink lots of water, get plenty of sleep and have a good cleansing, toning and moisturising regime (doesn't need to be expensive stuff) and eat lots of vegetables and fruits (which contain antioxidants to prevent aging) then your skin will improve.

My skin still looks great at 51 because I've done the above.

To answer your question - do I worry about it? No! Life is short and you only get one chance at it. So if you aren't living the life you want then it's in your power to change it. Good luck!

Yes, pay attention to us 'older posters'. I am 61 and considering being partially retired this year and working part time. Time to party with DH before his back problems make it too difficult for him to take long motorcycle trips.. Hope to do several this year. We all have bad times in our lives, it is cyclical (pardon my spelling). I married at 24 divorced at 30 married again at 32. Raised 3 beautiful daughters, lost our eldest to cancer when she was 38. Have 7 grand kids. I have to say though, 60 was the toughest birthday, I had just lost my brother, eldest daughter and a dear friend to cancer in a matter of 6 weeks after my birthday. Talk about facing your own mortality! I have worked several careers. Actually finished my first degree at 49 and the 2nd at 55. Life is a journey, not the destination. I just ordered my 'midlife crises car' to kick off this next phase of life and plan to continue to say woo hoo what a ride (in my new red dodge charger). I believe I definately improved with age and for the record, so has the sex LOL
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    James Taylor said it best in a song:

"The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time. . . "

Really, folks, we're looking for happiness in the wrong way today. As a teen 25+ years ago, I'd never even heard of a "bucket list", and now even young people have them, and feel like they are not fulfilled unless they have done certain things. Many years ago we were content (notice I said content, not estatic, jubilant, etc) to have the things we need--food, shelter, clothing, a few friends and loved ones. Now we have to reach all these standards!

Sometimes I think that young people today don't want to grow up because it will mean taking responsiblilty, tough choices, not putting self first, etc. I worry about this for my own teens, based on things they say. Sure, it is tough to be an adult, but let me say that being an adult, being responsible, doing things for others, etc, although it is not always easy and doesn't always give immediate happiness, it gives a true feeling of satisfactioin and fulfillment. Folks, lets change the definition of happiness!
  • mccdl34
    mccdl34 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I don't know if men worry about aging as much as women, but I can tell you that turning 25 bothered me more than any birthday since, and I'm going to be 48 in a few weeks. Fifty might be a different story, but we'll see when I get there. I don't know why 25 bothered me so much. Yes, some of the changes over the years suck, but you adapt and go on with life. I think one of the changes that occurs over the years is an acceptance that we're getting older and there is nothing we can do about it but try to stay as fit and active as possible. At least that's what I'm trying for.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I'm scared of getting older too. And in the gay world, 25 is basically death. So I only have a good 3 years left. lol.

Getting older is death in the job world too. Ageism and weight descrimination exist, and it's nearly impossible to prove.

People want to hire young thin people, because they can get away with paying them almost nothing.
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Oh man!! LOL Ok so when I was in my early 20's, I wondered if I'd make it to my 30's....I turn 30 Saturday and when I look back at all the bull****, drama, heartache, and struggle, it only makes me excited for what is to come because.....

My life has changed, my body has changed, my mind is changing...and things are getting better by the day.

My goal is to age gracefully and leave behind a positive energy. Aging is just part of living so live it up.
  • DisneyAddictRW
    DisneyAddictRW Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I get worried when I realize how quick my kids are growing up. My baby is 5 in April and starts all day school in August. I just try to enjoy each moment as it happens and try not to get freaked out.

I'm a worry wart and I can only imagine the damage I've done to my body from being stressed and worried all the time.
  • ucaminax
    ucaminax Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I will be 41 this year, but I distinctly remember being in my 20s, going through what you are going through. I honestly think the "mid-20's crisis" is just as common as the "mid-life crisis". Although inside I still feel 23 sometimes, or 34, or even 12, when I am truly objective looking in the mirror I know I am 40!! But you know, it doesn't bother me as much as Ithought it would. In a way it is a relief, I know I look 40, so I don't waste too much time worrying about stopping the progression of time or what people think, because it's obvious I'm 40, who cares!? Plus I don't have to deal with the harrassment that anymore that pretty much every young women has to deal with. I feel like I get respect now, or at least am "invisible" when I walk past a construction site lol 25 is such a great age, you are still at your prime physically, and you have many years to have kids, have adventures, whatever. I remember spotting my first few gray hairs around age 24. I freaked out. But something interesting happened when I was greiving for my dad 11 years ago. I felt raw and transparent, like people could just look at me and I couldn't hide-that my pain was so obvious. But also, I began really examining others, and thinking about how their life experiences molded not only their personalities but their bodies and faces. I came to the conclusion that we EARN our gray hairs and wrinkles. They are signs that we have lived, loved, lost, tried, failed, etc. Now, of course I would love to have a 20 year old body, and while I don't want the illnesses of old age, aging itself doesn't bother me as much. One of my best friends for the last 15 years is now in her mid 80s, but her personality is such that she "keeps me young"! It's all about attitude.

That being said, I do have a few pieces of advice/regrets. I had the same trouble as you, figuring out what I wanted to do as a career. I spent the first ten years or so working as a park ranger around the country, which was pretty fun, but I always wanted to go back to school. I felt like I had just fallen into the park ranger career, and I felt like I never really completed anything. So I went back to school in my mid 30s, took out a bazzillion dollars in student loans for a career that I thought would make more money, but I am now making less money than I did when I was a park ranger. As far as school goes, I totally agree with finding your passion, but sometimes that takes awhile, and your passion may change. Don't worry too much about finding your passion in a career. I discovered late in life when I had a daughter (age 37) that my life passion is being a mommy, and that I am passionate about various hobbies, but still have not gotten completely passionate about any career. I would recommend picking a career that will give you flexibility, the ability to find a job anywhere, and that doesn't cost too much in schooling. I wish I had picked nursing. As far as kids go, I had tons of great adventures and really enjoyed myself in my 20s and 30s, and don't regret it, but after having my daughter I wish I had had kids earlier, because at my age its biologically much harder to have more. But in my case, I didn't get married til my mid 30s, so kids werent really an option anyway. So if you want kids at all, don't waste too many ears trying to figure out career passions, although I would get a good stable job and married before you have em! :-)
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I'm 39... and I do my best to try and continue to feel young. Things are just that much tougher to do than when I was in my 20s... and RECOVERING from them is the worst!!! LOL :laugh:
  • ucaminax
    ucaminax Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    And this quote made me laugh. Though I'm not gay, I think I can safely say you will survive the milestone of 25, as have lots of gay and straight people before you!! There are plenty of 26, 36, and 86 year old gay people (or straight) out there dating and in relationships. Don't worry about it! I remember being in college and there were a few "weird" students in their 30s at college. 25 seemed so old and uncool. Then I turned 25, 30, 40 whatever, and life still goes on. As others have said, getting older beats the alternative! What might happen when you turn 25 or around there, you may find that you no longer really relate to those aquaintances who think "25 is death", they bore you, and you will probably be very happy to move on to the next phase of your life and have some less superficial relationships, with some hot 28 year olds lol
    I'm scared of getting older too. And in the gay world, 25 is basically death. So I only have a good 3 years left. lol.
  • mruntidy
    mruntidy Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about getting older, I worry about everyone else being younger than me and the point where I will have to hang up my Playstation pads cause I get beat

Also I am 30 this year, 25 in five months pah!
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    I am 45 and age is all in your head. Everyone tells me I don't look 45 and I certainly don't act 45. I still have big dreams and lots of future ahead of me. Sure getting old sucks, but you can't let it bother you. You just have to keep growing and learning and embracing what life gives you and keep looking to the future!
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I am 59 and would love to say it didn't bother me, but,in reality, it does make me sad. My mom died at 67, I lost7 brothers all before they were 65, a sister at 52,so those ages are coming up quick to me and I do have heart disease. Not being here for the big events that my grandkids will go thru bothers me the most. My youngest grandchild will graduate in 18 years, I would be 77,who knows, God may have a plan for me to be here,time will tell. On the other hand, I have been blessed.
  • FauxNinja
    Options
    What's the alternative?

Death
  • bmxpop
    bmxpop Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Growing older is mandatory.....but Growing up is optional.

Do I wish I could go back and try it again? Sure, sometimes. I think that is only natural.
    I am 50 years old and just last year started racing BMX bikes after 15 years of being the fat track announcer.

You don't stop playing when you get older, but you sure start getting older when you stop playing!!
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I'll be 35 in a week and while the number bugs me, I look young, feel young and I'm stronger (mentally and physically) than I've ever been in life. I will always have a childish streak and it will keep me forever young.

It also helps that I am lucky enough to have great skin and no wrinkles yet. Wear your sun hats and sunscreen!
  • Spinelli2288
    Spinelli2288 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Terrified. I don't want to look like my mother. My mother is full Lakota Indian and I am a spitting image of her. She is 43 years old...... you know those old black and white photo's of the Chiefs with the wrinkly skin and feathers? Take away the feathers and you have my mother. When I was 16 I refused to tan like her, started up on the wrinkle creams and moisturizers, and prayed. I don't want to look like my mother until I am 70 to 80 years old. Some may see this as harsh, but you have never looked at my mother and guessed her age. The first time my boyfriend met my mother he thought it was my grandmother who met him at the door.
  • rob_v
    rob_v Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your talking about - like my wife says - I'm a 41 year old child ;) (and damn proud of it)
  • OfficialPR
    OfficialPR Posts: 1,610 Member
    Options
    Right here..
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure I had the mid-20s crisis to, and the 30 crisis which was worse! I loved turning 40, and every year's got better after that :drinker:

I still don't know what I want to do with my life and have never been in a job long enough to contribute to a pension. In my late 30s I changed careers entirely from IT to journalism, effectively halving my income for something I love!

Nothing is ever final, and if you stay flexible and young in attitude, you don't ever need to grow up :happy: