Women lifters.....

Options
Hi!

I would love to see what and how much you women are lifting. I've just started *trying* to lift with the big boys, and I'm *really* curious what your workout routines look like. Looking for ideas here..:) I've been starting out with the Simply Shredded website for starting routines, but I'd love to see what all of you are doing and how much you lift on each exercise so I have something to work toward.

Yes, I'm the chick at the gym who is always watching to see what others are doing. Kind of a snoop, but I learn soooo much, and it really challenges me to push HARDER.

Wanna share? If there are already threads dedicated to this topic, please let me know...:)

Replies

• carrie_eggo
    carrie_eggo Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    This is what I currently do:

Workout A

a) Squat

b1) Standing military press

b2) Bent over rows

c1) Step ups

c2) Push ups

d) Swiss ball crunch

Workout B

a) Deadlift

b1) Bench press

b2) Static lunge w/ rear foot elevated

c1) Chin ups (assisted)

c2) Bench dips

d) Prone jackknife

Monday-A Wednesday-B Friday-A
    Monday-B Wednesday-A Friday-B
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    There's a NROL group here. New Rules of Lifting. Join!

I follow that program 3 x week. Alternating between A and B wrkts. Here's the phase I just finished:
    A
    Squat
    Push-up
    Seated row
    Step-up
    Prone jackknife

B
    Deadlift
    Dumbbell shoulder press
    Wide-grip lat pulldown
    Lunge
    plank
  • thecrossfitter
    thecrossfitter Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting seriously for 6-7 months. My routines are split between strength training and then met con (I don't do my own programming, the owners/coaches of my gym do.) We've been working with the Wendler 5 3 1 for four months and I might just be in love.

Back squats: 155lbs
    (Started at 80lbs)

Deadlift: 190lbs
    (Started at 120lbs)

Strict shoulder press: 75lbs
    (Started at 45lbs)

Clean and Jerk: 95lbs
    (Started at 35lbs)

The first portion is strength training (20 minutes) and then the met con is anywhere from 8-30 minutes. It's always varied, so it's tough to describe. Basically there are circuits or chippers either dictated by a certain amount of time or a certain amount of reps. When lifts are put into the metcon workout, I'm typically lifting around 50%-60% of my max. I combine it with things like 400 meter sprints, box jumps, push ups, pull ups, burpees, toes to bar, wall balls, etc.
  • DeathIsMyGift
    DeathIsMyGift Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I don't lift but my girlfriend does. She dead lifts 280lbs. That is all.
  • km_jenn
    km_jenn Posts: 107
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html

This is an incredible plan. It's a 12 week program, that slowly escalates. I highly recommend it. I have been through the whole program, and am doing a second round now. I started from phase 2 the second time, because the first 4 weeks were a little too easy by the time I had gotten through the program. I have never been so strong, and see definition I never thought I would! I have been doing weight lifting for a while, but I love to have a full plan at the gym, I work so much harder, and it takes out the guess work when I'm there making me much more focused.
  • thecrossfitter
    Options
    Gah. I thought you asked HOW MUCH do you lift. Sorry, just reread. Only half my response is relevant.
  • jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Gah. I thought you asked HOW MUCH do you lift. Sorry, just reread. Only half my response is relevant.

No, you were right the first time. I'm curious how much as well.

Thanks ladies....gives me a lot to consider and incorporate....:) Keep 'em coming....
  • margieward82
    margieward82 Posts: 406 Member
    Options

Hehe... That's what I read when I first saw this. And was hoping to see all the amazing weights, but then realized i am a goober :P

I do a 5 day split:
    legs
    shoulders
    back
    arms
    legs part deux

not in that order though. I take a day of rest somewhere in there but listen tomy body. And I always put at least 2 days between my leg days. The back, arms and shoulder days get moved around depending on how I feel and how much time I have, etc.
  • thecrossfitter
    Options
    Hehe... That's what I read when I first saw this. And was hoping to see all the amazing weights, but then realized i am a goober :P
    Post yours! Post yours! I love seeing stats on this :) It's always so inspiring!
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    I am only in my second week of NROL4W, so on Stage 1 workout B3 today. I don't use smith machines or leg press, and I squat *kitten* to grass.

Currently as a newbie:
    Squat: 55
    Deadlift: 65
    Lunge: 40
    Step up: 30
    Dumbell shoulder press: 30 (ie two 15 lb dumbells)
    Seated row: 65
    Lat pulldown 55
    Prone Jackknifes: 10 reps
    Swiss ball crunch: I could do a zillion of these.
    Pushups: 10/12 real pushups going low.
  • vonalj
    vonalj Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/jamie-eason-livefit-trainer.html

This is an incredible plan. It's a 12 week program, that slowly escalates. I highly recommend it. I have been through the whole program, and am doing a second round now. I started from phase 2 the second time, because the first 4 weeks were a little too easy by the time I had gotten through the program. I have never been so strong, and see definition I never thought I would! I have been doing weight lifting for a while, but I love to have a full plan at the gym, I work so much harder, and it takes out the guess work when I'm there making me much more focused.

I'm doing this and lifting for the first time in a gym. I'm so nervous lifting in front of the guys! I hate that I can't remember what the workouts are, I continuously have to keep looking at my phone. Tell me it gets easier.....!]
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    E1RM for deadlifts =245
    E1rm squat = 160 (wow, that difference is weird)

in reality, though i did 3 sets of 8reps for DL at 160. same for squats at 115.
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I love love lifting. Started with NROL for Women, now I am doing NROL for Abs and love it!! :smile:
  • embersfallen
    embersfallen Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    My routine used to be 2/3 times a week, pretty much full body workout when I first started.

Around Sept last year I changed it to 5x a week split routine:

Mon: Chest, triceps, legs
    Tues: Shoulders, upper back
    Wed: Lower back, biceps
    Thurs: (same as Mon)
    Fri: (same as Tues)

Then about a week ago I decided to deadlifts twice a week instead of once, and I didn't want to workout 6 days a week so now I do:

Mon: Chest, shoulders, bi's and tri's
    Tues: Legs and back
    Wed: Rest
    Thurs: (same as Mon)
    Fri: (same as Tues)

Lifts: (I started squats and deadlifts a lot later than the rest unfortunately)

Bench: Started with the bar (44lbs) for around 4-5 reps. Now I can do 110lbs for 4 reps, or 121lb 1RM.

Squat: Started with the bar. Couldn't get the hang of it for ages. Now I do 110lbs for ~8 reps, but at the end of my "bulk" I was doing 132lbs for 10, or 154 for 3.

Deadlift: Started at around 66-88lbs. Used to do 187 for 4/5 reps and 220 for 1 at my strongest (end of bulk). But since then I've realised my form isn't great, combined with losing a little strength from cutting, I'm training on 110-132lbs for reps just to focus on form.

Military press: Started on less than the bar (I had to work my way up to it for a bit with dumbells) Now I can do 66 for around 6/7 reps at the moment. At my strongest I could do 77lbs for 4.
  • thatsnumberwang
    thatsnumberwang Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I started NROL4W and actually didn't love it, so I've kind of wandered into my own routine. I will probably start Stronglifts next week. I only started lifting about a month ago, so my weights aren't as high as I'd like them to be, but here's the core of my routine and my current (but not for long!) 5RMs:

Barbell squat: 120lbs
    Bench press: 65lbs
    Deadlift: 105lbs
    Wide-grip lat pulldown: 65lbs
    Standing barbell shoulder press: 40lbs
    A kind of double crunch that I haven't quite figured out the name for: I can do around 20 of these in a set, 25 if I'm feeling saucy. They absolutely kill my abs.
  • rainbowbuggy
    Options
    Bump....I am new to lifting but love reading all the posts. I am learning alot!
  • r1ghtpath
    r1ghtpath Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    i have a question :-)

when you say "lifting" do you mean just working with free weights/ dumbbells type lifting? or are you including machines? i just googled the new rules and it says for women to " put down the barbie weights." what exactly does that mean??

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I would love to see what and how much you women are lifting. I've just started *trying* to lift with the big boys, and I'm *really* curious what your workout routines look like. Looking for ideas here..:) I've been starting out with the Simply Shredded website for starting routines, but I'd love to see what all of you are doing and how much you lift on each exercise so I have something to work toward.

Yes, I'm the chick at the gym who is always watching to see what others are doing. Kind of a snoop, but I learn soooo much, and it really challenges me to push HARDER.

Wanna share? If there are already threads dedicated to this topic, please let me know...:)

Download Stronglifts 5x5. Its simple and all youll really ever need.