Does it REALLY matter where calories come from?

Options

Replies

• RangerSteve
    Options
    You can lose weight eating just junk food, but the body burns healthy food twice as quickly...

funny-gif-black-guy-reaction.gif
  • Cindym82
    Cindym82 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I know, I came back in. sorry. but, luke, I reacted by saying that this isn't an 'argument.' it would be like arguing water is or isn't wet. or, in a more apples and apples conversation, that the word n***r is completely acceptable for us to be using. it isn't. and neither is this. same as, say, using 'gay' as a 'playful insult.'

and you are wrong. completely. and there's no gray area there. (and, telling me you know better, when I'm guessing by your thought process that you don't really have experience here, is inane.)
    Definition of RETARDED
    : slow or limited in intellectual or emotional development or academic progress

my sister is mentally retarded. she is. she knows that. I know that. I've lived with it, with her, my whole life. I work with special olympics. I have for more than a two decades. guess what? they are mentally retarded. she isn't mentally handicapped. neither are the others in SO. they have a medical condition. that's what it's called. you forgetting where you put your keys? forgetting to let the dog out so it doesn't piss on the carpet? that's forgetful. maybe stupid. it's not retarded.

please, just trust me. it is a hurtful, hurtful thing to hear.

if something offends you than stop reading it. Freedom of speech buddy and also don't think you're the only person with family issues.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Sheesh, this thread got heated.

Look, its all about moderation, I'm pretty sure we can all agree on that. Seems like this thread has turned into an argument about sugar/carbs... Some people saying sugar should be kept at a minimum, others calling that blasphemous and yelling about how they eat ice cream or cookies every day and are still losing weight. YOU'RE BOTH EFFING RIGHT. Come on, people.

I personally keep my daily net carbs at about 20% or less of my calories. Some people would POUNCE on me in this thread for "preaching low carb". For me, that equates to 70 net carbs a day. And if I happen to want a cookie that has 35g carbs in it, then I'll budget that! If its a celebration, or a special day, or hell, its a weekend getaway and I want a friggin margarita, then so what! I still live my life, and I don't think anyone on here has said that you shouldn't. But IN GENERAL, yes, its smart to watch and be conscious of your sugars and starches and overall carbohydrate consumption.

Ok, you can all come out of time-out now.
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I know, I came back in. sorry. but, luke, I reacted by saying that this isn't an 'argument.' it would be like arguing water is or isn't wet. or, in a more apples and apples conversation, that the word n***r is completely acceptable for us to be using. it isn't. and neither is this. same as, say, using 'gay' as a 'playful insult.'

and you are wrong. completely. and there's no gray area there. (and, telling me you know better, when I'm guessing by your thought process that you don't really have experience here, is inane.)
    Definition of RETARDED

my sister is mentally retarded. she is. she knows that. I know that. I've lived with it, with her, my whole life. I work with special olympics. I have for more than a two decades. guess what? they are mentally retarded. she isn't mentally handicapped. neither are the others in SO. they have a medical condition. that's what it's called. you forgetting where you put your keys? forgetting to let the dog out so it doesn't piss on the carpet? that's forgetful. maybe stupid. it's not retarded.

if something offends you than stop reading it. Freedom of speech buddy and also don't think you're the only person with family issues.

not sure what family issues you believe I have. we're great.

and if someone wants to continue in ignorance, you're right. freedom of speech,etc. but just because you can say something doesn't mean you should. and if someone knows something is offensive and continues doing it, that says more about them than anything.

just an attempt at education. many people don't honestly realize how derogatory the word is. that's all.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I would just like to thank this thread for all of the valuable additions to my ignore list.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

Definition of RETARDED

Wow. Insensitive much?

Freedom of speech doesn't give anyone license to be a complete arsehole.
  • kikiwinks
    kikiwinks Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Umm, yes it does matter. Not all calories are the same. If you want to lose weight you will need to ease off the sugar. And remember sometimes you might not see a drop on the scale right away, it does take time. But again if you are eating bad foods then you will not see any progress.

How was it that I ate ice cream and still lost weight?

You can have a cheat meal and still lose weight. You can't eat ice cream all day everyday and expect to lose weight.

I ate cookies EVERY single day and lost nearly 60lbs.

I still eat cookies EVERY single day and I've been maintaining that loss for the last 18 months.

Eating a serving size of ice cream every day isn't going to make you fat. Calories in/Calories out. Sheesh.

Actually it's not. And how many calories are consuming daily?
  • Cindym82
    Options

Definition of RETARDED

Wow. Insensitive much?

Freedom of speech doesn't give anyone license to be a complete arsehole.

Because she took it has a personal attack when it wasn't. I have ppl with mental issues in my family, do I get bent out of shape when ppl say things that refer to something like that and blow up on ppl and call them names? NO cause it's childish and dumb
  • Cindym82
    Options

Definition of RETARDED

not sure what family issues you believe I have. we're great.

and if someone wants to continue in ignorance, you're right. freedom of speech,etc. but just because you can say something doesn't mean you should. and if someone knows something is offensive and continues doing it, that says more about them than anything.

just an attempt at education. many people don't honestly realize how derogatory the word is. that's all.

Well, than you would have to teach a lot of ppl "education" because every single person has probably offended another person/race/thing by saying something. And i'd love for you to say you never have
  • Cindym82
    Options

Look, its all about moderation, I'm pretty sure we can all agree on that. Seems like this thread has turned into an argument about sugar/carbs... Some people saying sugar should be kept at a minimum, others calling that blasphemous and yelling about how they eat ice cream or cookies every day and are still losing weight. YOU'RE BOTH EFFING RIGHT. Come on, people.

I personally keep my daily net carbs at about 20% or less of my calories. Some people would POUNCE on me in this thread for "preaching low carb". For me, that equates to 70 net carbs a day. And if I happen to want a cookie that has 35g carbs in it, then I'll budget that! If its a celebration, or a special day, or hell, its a weekend getaway and I want a friggin margarita, then so what! I still live my life, and I don't think anyone on here has said that you shouldn't. But IN GENERAL, yes, its smart to watch and be conscious of your sugars and starches and overall carbohydrate consumption.

And, everyone is different....that's why I dont understand the whole debate. What might work some wont work for all.
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    It didn't matter for me until I had lost 50 lbs. and plateaued for a month. I started consuming more protein, and less carbs, fat, and sugar, and I've started losing again.
  • Jenne1979
    Jenne1979 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Sugar is Enemy #1..... Good fats will help you burn fat!! Beyonddiet.com has a great little video that tells you what to avoid and what to embrace when trying to eat better.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    No, it can't. To "negate the deficit," sugar would have to have some kind of magical power to produce energy beyond it's caloric value.

Apparently you have never heard of the glycemic index?????

Correct me if I'm wrong but glycemic index refers only to how rapidly the carbohydrate breaks down and releases glucose into the bloodstream (rapidly released simple carbohydrates have a high GI) hence the concept of a sugar crash if you eat nothing but donuts for breakfast. It has nothing to do with the overall caloric value of a particular food.
  • alexbusnello
    alexbusnello Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    <- I eat a LOT of sugar and salt.

That's why you're so fat.

Wow, that was rude. No need to be calling anyone fat here. Try being more supportive.
  • elsinora
    elsinora Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight eating just junk food, but the body burns healthy food twice as quickly...

funny-gif-black-guy-reaction.gif

I can't stop laughing at this!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Calories consumed < calories burned = weight loss

weight loss =/= health

Here endeth the lesson.

We need a "like" button.
  • sobriquet84
    Options

And, everyone is different....that's why I dont understand the whole debate. What might work some wont work for all.

What I explained will work for everyone. What you seem to be advocating (quality and source of calories not being of any significance), will not work for everyone, and is not recommended by any standards.
  • sobriquet84
    Options
    No, it can't. To "negate the deficit," sugar would have to have some kind of magical power to produce energy beyond it's caloric value.

Correct me if I'm wrong but glycemic index refers only to how rapidly the carbohydrate breaks down and releases glucose into the bloodstream (rapidly released simple carbohydrates have a high GI) hence the concept of a sugar crash if you eat nothing but donuts for breakfast. It has nothing to do with the overall caloric value of a particular food.

When we eat, our body converts digestible carbohydrates into blood sugar (glucose), our main source of energy. Our blood sugar level can affect how hungry and how energetic we feel, both important factors when we are watching how we eat and exercise. It also determines whether we burn fat or store it.

Our pancreas creates a hormone called insulin that transports blood sugar into our body's cells where it is used for energy. When we eat refined grains that have had most of their fiber stripped away, sugar, or other carbohydrate-rich foods that are quickly processed into blood sugar, the pancreas goes into overtime to produce the insulin necessary for all this blood sugar to be used for energy. This insulin surge tells our body that plenty of energy is readily available and that it should stop burning fat and start storing it.

However, the greater concern with the insulin surge is not that it tells our body to start storing fat. Whatever we eat and don't burn up eventually gets turned into fat anyway.

The greater concern is that the insulin surge causes too much blood sugar to be transported out of our blood and this results in our blood sugar and insulin levels dropping below normal. This leaves us feeling tired and hungry and wanting to eat more. The unfortunate result of this scenario is that it makes us want to eat something else with a high sugar content. When we do, we start the cycle all over again.

SOURCE OF CALORIES MATTERS.

The end.
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

When we eat, our body converts digestible carbohydrates into blood sugar (glucose), our main source of energy. Our blood sugar level can affect how hungry and how energetic we feel, both important factors when we are watching how we eat and exercise. It also determines whether we burn fat or store it.

Our pancreas creates a hormone called insulin that transports blood sugar into our body's cells where it is used for energy. When we eat refined grains that have had most of their fiber stripped away, sugar, or other carbohydrate-rich foods that are quickly processed into blood sugar, the pancreas goes into overtime to produce the insulin necessary for all this blood sugar to be used for energy. This insulin surge tells our body that plenty of energy is readily available and that it should stop burning fat and start storing it.

However, the greater concern with the insulin surge is not that it tells our body to start storing fat. Whatever we eat and don't burn up eventually gets turned into fat anyway.

The greater concern is that the insulin surge causes too much blood sugar to be transported out of our blood and this results in our blood sugar and insulin levels dropping below normal. This leaves us feeling tired and hungry and wanting to eat more. The unfortunate result of this scenario is that it makes us want to eat something else with a high sugar content. When we do, we start the cycle all over again.

The end.

Well said. To some of the experts out there, hunger doesn't matter because we all have (or should have) enough willpower to eat whatever we want (in moderation of course), and we will keep our caloric deficits going.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

The end.

Here's the thing, this only matters if you ONLY eat quick carbs. Nobody eats only one macro at a time, and as soon as you mix protein and/or fat to quick digesting carbs, it completely changes the way that insulin and blood glucose are affected. So really, in day to day life, it really doesn't have any impact. You aren't going to find people eating bowls of table sugar very often, and life isn't lived in a scientifically controlled laboratory, where one specific macro type can be isolated and fed.

Eat a slice of white bread, and yes, that can go through you, and potentially cause you to crave carbs, because it's relatively quick (although still not that quick, refined or not, it's still a more complex oligosaccharide) carb it could make you crave more. However, put some butter on it, or some peanut butter, or some turkey breast, and you've now completely changed the glycemic impact of that lowly piece of white bread, your blood sugar doesn't spike, and you don't get blood sugar crashes.

Also, if you're paying attention to calories, then why would it matter, anyway? If you eat x number of calories a day, then even if you crave more sugar, you don't eat it. I crave lots of different foods, bacon mostly, doesn't mean I eat it by the pound every day, because it doesn't fit into my caloric needs. So no, it really doesn't matter where the calories come from.