yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    1. workout when you are on your period
    2. dont limit yourself to noble healthy motivations
    3. eat more
  • ChickaDee2012
    ChickaDee2012 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    1) Track/log your food - It's amazing how this has translated to more knowledge and motivation to eating differently, towards goals.
    2) Eliminate/limit all processed food - including white rice, white bread, sugar, packaged foods.
    3) Water, water, water.
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    1. It's not only about counting calories. Macros are VERY important as well!

2. Moderation and common sense!

3. Lots of Water and Protein!
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    1. Exercise
    2. Log everything you eat, it adds up
    3. Don't deprive yourself, portion control and moderation
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    SET GOALS
    Set near term, achievable goals, broken down into increments that you can reach regularly.

On my fridge I have two charts. These run from 1st January to 22nd March (when I go on holiday[vacation]).
    the first is a column of numbers with 1 at the bottom running up all the way to 40. This is for cardio workouts. Every time I do a workout I colour in a box.
    The second is also a column, but this time it's my weight target. Broken into increments of 0.6kgs. Each time I hit the new weight I cross it off.

I find this a very simple but powerful tool as it's a constant visual reminder of what I have achieved so far and what I am trying to achieve by my goal date. It's keeps me motivated.

I'll set some new goals when I've met those. I find this shorter term goal setting much better than some distant goal thats 12 months or more away. It's far more achievable like this.

I have a big giant blank chalkboard wall in my bedroom.... want to do this so massive big....
    Thank you!
  • Maris165
    Maris165 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Awesome thread, bumping so I can read more later!
  • KaraP18
    KaraP18 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lucythinmint
    Options
    1. Commit. If you don't nothing is ever going to work.
    2. Lift heavy and when heavy gets light get heavier. 3-4 days a week, and don't be afraid of the weight, it's good for you.
    3. Run. (or your choice of cardio :)) I didn't start running until I was 28 and already had 4 children. Now I love running and make time for it no matter what.
    4. Water, water, water, water and more water. Get rid of soda completely no diet yuck either. Water, water, water, water, coffee, water, water , water :wink:
    5. Find eating habits that will work for you long term. I counted calories at the beginning during the initial loss but when I started to focus more on lifting I gave up being a stickler about calories. I keep an eye on what I eat but I have 'diet' that I stick to. It has die in the word and that is in no way appealing to me. I eat what I want, just littler sizes and not the entire box. I live to workout so eating is now necessary to fuel my needs.
    Once you move from 'living to eat' to 'eating to live' your perspective on food changes. :drinker:
  • NINAjustdoit
    NINAjustdoit Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Awesome ideas!! I think this thread just pushed me through the funk that I have been stuck in! Loving all the support!

Thanks to all of you, here is my plan:

1. Drink water! I am really lacking in this and almost all of you list this as one of your changes.
    2. I calculated my BMR and TDEE and am upping my calories to at least 1600. I think I might not have been eating enough.
    3. Include more strength training.
    4. Stay positive ... last week I ate really well, busted my butt in the gym 5 days and ending up gaining a pound! I ended up in tears and feeling completely deflated!! I am choosing to just get over it and move on!
    5. Be patient

The only one I am not sure about is the carb thing. Many of you are saying to cut back on carbs, but if I stay within my calories do carbs then really matter?? I don't believe in completely cutting out a food group, but I also understand that too much of anything is not good. Typically eat 2 cups of cheerios for breakfast, two slices of rye bread for lunch and then I have potato (1 cup) or rice (1/2cup) for supper. Is this too much???
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    1. Being Patient is one of the TOP KEYS
    2. It's ok to eat but be very selective and your portions makes a huge difference.
    3. Remember the eating is most of the journey of losing weight so don't kill yourself trying get those killer burns...they won't count if you are still eating unhealthy foods.
    4. Back away from the scale so often...find you a day set weekly, bi-weekly or monthly and stick to it...very discouraging if it doesn't display what you want and it could cause you to lose focus of your goal.
    5. Surround yourself with postitive people with the the same ultimate goal of being healthier and making it a lifestyle. That is KEY this is a serious journey and you want those that support you to be serious about it to...Lack of interest can cause you to back slide...

ALWAYS KEEP MOVING EVEN IF YOU HAVE A BAD DAY OR TWO...KEEP PUSHING..
  • angie3005
    angie3005 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    1. Stop falling for diets, Dukan diet, Atkins, Jenny Craig... just learn simple math and consume less calories than you burn.. try to avoid chemicals.

2. A day or two binge does not mean you have failed.. just means you owe yourself a couple days it is not a reason to revert back to old ways.

3. You are beautiful and worth every drop of sweat.

great advice......wow on your weight loss!!! amazing well done!!
  • HeidiRene
    HeidiRene Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Look to advice for ideas to try but don't treat any "rule" (eat small meals, don't eat this/that etc etc) as set in stone. Everyone is different so just b/c it works for someone or even the majority of pp doesn't mean it will for u.
  • DL121004
    DL121004 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    HFCS is in no way unique amount sugars, with a composition identical to sucrose as well as the supposedly ‘healthy’ honey. Increased caloric intake since the 1970′s is the driver for increased obesity, with no relationship with HFCS intake per se.

In that all fructose-glucose solutions (whether HFCS, sucrose or honey) are metabolized in exactly the same fashion in the body, there is simply no reason to think that HFCS per se is particularly obesity promoting outside of being a caloric source.

It is factually incorrect to state that HFCS are identical to sucrose in composition.

It is factually incorrect to state that HFCS are "metabolized in exactly the same fashion in the body" as glucose or sucrose.
  • SiobhanDelaney
    SiobhanDelaney Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It took me a year but my advice is:

Get your head in the right place, you are going to do this and do this ONCE!

Exercise a little more when you can. I used to exercise twice a week and this was only walking but varied my route according to my energy.

Use a pedometer, or something like Nike + to help you.

Weigh and measure everything and log it too.

Buy yourself little treats (small money treats, wrap them up, things that make you feel good, a pair of earrings, a new book etc .. Make up a treat box and every ... say 3 pounds or whatever goal you set, dip into your box, close your eyes and choose your little treat.. Little goals can help! Every stone i lost i treated myself to something to make me smile out of my treat box (simple but worked)

Finally..... Smile.. You are doing it for you, its all you you you and YOU CAN DO IT!! :) Have faith and a positive mental attitude goes a long way!
  • Stephib10
    Stephib10 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    bump
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything at all 2 days out of 7 each week.

Yeah, that'll work. Just like anorexia, doin' drugs and smoking :huh:

Don't listen to this nonsense.

It does work, and there's nothing unhealthy about it - I would not compare it to anorexia, drugs or smoking. It is called Intermittent Fasting, I would do the research before declaring it nonsense.

I know what IF is thank you very much! And not eating for 2 days is NOT IF. YOU do your research lady. During IF you still eat once every 19 hours. Give me a break, you aren't fooling anybody. Sure you can lose tons of weight STARVING YOURSELF. I'd like to know what your body fat % is vs. lean muscle mass. I bet your body fat is through the roof! Skinny fat, anyone??? LOL

The thing about the body fat...you obviously dont know what Intermittent Fasting does. PM me for more info so we dont hijack this forum.

I believe the "Dont eat for 2 days a week" person was referring to an Eat Stop Eat method and its very effective.
    The human body needs to go through 24-36 hours of ZERO food before starvation starts.

Intermittent Fasting should be a fasted window of 14-18 hours then catabolism starts.
    Some people can handle the catabolism and not lose too much lean mass between 18-24 hours then they feast like champs, replenishing their system for a few days then fasting again.

Lets do some research before we start saying this way or that way is wrong people.

I IF 14-18 hours daily and the effects are fabulous!
    energy is through the roof.
    Body fat drops at about 1% every 2-3 weeks while my weight stays the same.
    I dont do cardio because I dont need it.
    My lifts are 20% stronger and i'm more alert.
    I fixed my insomnia with it and while IF isnt for everyone, it is a very good tool for concurrent fat loss with muscle gains.

If you like to take this up feel free to PM me.
    I can point you in the right direction.
    =D

I don't not eat for 2 consecutive days! I do 24 hour fasts twice a week (not together), not like I go 48 hours without eating. I actually eat every day, just not until dinner sometimes. It's called Eat Stop Eat, but there are other methods which involve shorter fasts (eg Lean Gains and Fast 5). It is quite healthy and a good way to lose fat (my body fat% has dropped since starting IF, rather than JUST losing the weight on the scales), and recent studies have shown that it may also increase your life expectency. I actually recommend it to anyone, with the proviso that they understand what they are doing and why. I realise I should have worded this better in my original post, as it does sound like 2 consecutive days.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Awesome ideas!! I think this thread just pushed me through the funk that I have been stuck in! Loving all the support!

Thanks to all of you, here is my plan:

1. Drink water! I am really lacking in this and almost all of you list this as one of your changes.
    2. I calculated my BMR and TDEE and am upping my calories to at least 1600. I think I might not have been eating enough.
    3. Include more strength training.
    4. Stay positive ... last week I ate really well, busted my butt in the gym 5 days and ending up gaining a pound! I ended up in tears and feeling completely deflated!! I am choosing to just get over it and move on!
    5. Be patient

The only one I am not sure about is the carb thing. Many of you are saying to cut back on carbs, but if I stay within my calories do carbs then really matter?? I don't believe in completely cutting out a food group, but I also understand that too much of anything is not good. Typically eat 2 cups of cheerios for breakfast, two slices of rye bread for lunch and then I have potato (1 cup) or rice (1/2cup) for supper. Is this too much???

So much good stuff in this discussion. Thanks for starting it.

Re you're #4. I suggest dumping the scale for awhile if they bother you like that. I think a better indicator is a tape measure or just how your clothes fit. I always keep a next size down of skinnier jeans in my closet and will try them on periodically to see them fit progressively better. That motivates me more than the scale anyway. To give you an idea of how meaningless the scale can really be, I've been on a bit of a weight-loss stall since Christmas having only lost 1# since then but I have gone down a full size in my pants. Would it be nice to see the scale move a bit? Sure. But I'll take the new pant size over scale loss anyday.

Re carbs. For some of us, the amount of carbs you're eating would be too much. For others, it's not a problem. It's something you will have to play around with to see what works best for you. Eating enough protein is so important. Especially if you're doing a lot of intense exercising. So I would suggest upping your protein and ensuring you get enough healthy fats and then filling in the rest of your daily calories with vegetables, fruits and grain/starch-based carbs. Since vegetables have lots of nutrients, I'd fill up a bit more on them before eating the grain/starch-based carbs just so you can be sure you're properly nourishing yourself.

I usually see recommendations to eat 1 gram/protein and 0.5 gram/fat for every pound of LBM (lean body mass). Protein is 4 calories per gram. Fat is 9 calories per gram. Once you've figured out how much to eat of each and how many calories that is, you'll know how many calories you have left to budget toward veggies and the rest.

Hope this helps. Best wishes!
  • Bighank7752
    Options
    Low carb, high protein and exercise.
  • sportyskylar
    Options
    1. Stay motivated - theres a reason why you started. There might even be a few reasons why. Keep them in mind. Have a vision board.
    2. Be REALISTIC - alot of people want the weight to drop off. the truth is that slow and steady wins the race. the race is your entire life. think long term and set realistic goals.
    3. Clean eating - treat yourself to some REAL food. Feel great about the good foods you're providing your body. different perspectives on "dieting" might shape up how you perceive healthy and clean eating.
    4. Excercise - cardio burns calories and gets the heart rate up, but if you want to TONE and boost your metabolism, lift some weights and strength train!!
    5. Measuring tape - forget the scale. You want to see actual changes in your body, so grab the measuring tape and check your inch loss. Much more affective, and never puts your in a bad mood with fluctuating changes a scale might show.

GOOD LUCK
  • hungryPHATbunny
    hungryPHATbunny Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    1. Forget diets...this is forever so control portion size for what you eat.
    2. Exercise at least 4x a week and enjoy it.
    3. Remind yourself this is not a punishment, its a way of life so treat yourself (not with food!)
    4. Drink plenty of water every day and cut out sodas
    5. Log everything- be accountable to yourself.