HCG diet safe?

Options

Replies

• Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    No doctor worth trusting would EVER condone or promote the fraud HCG starvation diet.

Any doctor that endorses that scam diet should be stripped of their license to practice medicine!
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    <--- lost more than 100 pounds in a year eating nutritious, well-balanced meals and snacks in sensible portions, drinking plenty of water, and exercising regularly. (sensible portions add up to more than 1200 calories fyi)

Oh, and I didn't have to swallow or inject any pregnant lady pee in the process.

Don't do it - just work hard and be patient.
  • angraham2
    Options
    Safe? NO> The only way to diet safely is to do it by eating right and exercising.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

*bright lights and shiney glitter*

LOL nice try skippy. That website belongs to a company that sells HCG and a doctor who profits from prescribing it.

I asked you for some UNBIASED studies on HCG, that means no profit incentive.

P.S. Not a lick of actual science in there also.
  • sexycheesemonkey
    sexycheesemonkey Posts: 196 Member
    Options

LOL nice try skippy. That website belongs to a company that sells HCG and a doctor who profits from prescribing it.

Im not skippy...it's too darn late for that. I browsed it quickly, I've forgotten where I got most of my research in all honesty and it will take time to find it again. All I know is I've done anorexia...and with the HCG I feel a ton better than I ever did simply starving myself. I know my personal opinion doesnt matter because I'm not science. But either way, it works for me, and a few other people. The book I'm reading "Weightloss Apocalypse" seems to have a ton of answers to the protocol and why it works. I havent gotten to the end yet, but just like everyone here can say 'diet and exercise' I believe the HCG works.
  • GinaJDarling
    GinaJDarling Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have lost 80lbs in 5months on HCG. It works; I am not saying it is the healthiest thing to do LONG TERM. The diet is meant to do in phases. If you do not plan on doing all the phases you will gain the weight back because you did not do it properly. People say it's unsafe because they never read the whole diet. I go 30 days at the most low calorie because you do loose vitamins and minerals over time. I would not recommend doing more than 30 days at a time. I would really make sure you take a calcium supplement and a multivitamin. I love HCG and you stay motivate from the results you see every day. It is your choice, it won't hurt to try. If you don't like it then on to the next diet!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

Im not skippy...it's too darn late for that. I browsed it quickly, I've forgotten where I got most of my research in all honesty and it will take time to find it again. All I know is I've done anorexia...and with the HCG I feel a ton better than I ever did simply starving myself. I know my personal opinion doesnt matter because I'm not science. But either way, it works for me, and a few other people. The book I'm reading "Weightloss Apocalypse" seems to have a ton of answers to the protocol and why it works. I havent gotten to the end yet, but just like everyone here can say 'diet and exercise' I believe the HCG works.

Dead serious this time, I swear.

If you are eating 550 calories per day, you are still anorexic. I think you may be suffering from the placebo effect believing the HCG is suppressing your hunger.

I do sincerely hope you get the help you need for your disease, but this crazy diet is doing you no good at all. I do mean this sincerely, so please don't read more into it than that. Anorexia is a serious, dangerous, mental condition that requires therapy and support to overcome. I know because my best friend in high school had to go through this. We almost lost her before she finally got help. I hope you don't end up that extreme before you get the help you need.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I have lost 80lbs in 5months on HCG. It works; I am not saying it is the healthiest thing to do LONG TERM. The diet is meant to do in phases. If you do not plan on doing all the phases you will gain the weight back because you did not do it properly. People say it's unsafe because they never read the whole diet. I go 30 days at the most low calorie because you do loose vitamins and minerals over time. I would not recommend doing more than 30 days at a time. I would really make sure you take a calcium supplement and a multivitamin. I love HCG and you stay motivate from the results you see every day. It is your choice, it won't hurt to try. If you don't like it then on to the next diet!
    ...OR you could skip HCG *and* "the next diet" and just focus on being healthy for a lifetime by (I feel like a broken record sometimes) eating nutritious, well-balanced meals and snacks in sensible portions, drinking plenty of water, and exercising regularly.
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Even when I was anorexic...I had days where I would eat more than 500 calories..this is a scary diet..I hope no one does any permanent damage :(
  • sunnyday789
    sunnyday789 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    From the site that you have cited
    Ineffectiveness of human chorionic gonadotropin in weight reduction: a double-blind study

MR Stein, RE Julis, CC Peck, W Hinshaw, JE Sawicki and JJ Deller Jr

Our investigation was designed to retest the hypothesis of the efficacy of human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) on weight reduction in obese women in a clinic setting. We sought to duplicate the Asher-Harper study (1973) which had found that the combination of 500 cal diet and HCG had a statistically significant benefit over the diet and placebo combination as evidenced by greater weight loss and decrease in hunger. Fifty-one women between the ages of 18 and 60 participated in our 32- day prospective, randomized, double-blind comparison of HCG versus placebo. Each patient was given the same diet (the one prescribed in the Asher-Harper study), was weighed daily Monday through Saturday and was counselled by one of the investigators who administered the injections. Laboratory studies were performed at the time of initial physical examinations and at the end of the study. Twenty of 25 in the HCG and 21 of 26 patients in the placebo groups completed 28 injections. There was no statistically significant difference in the means of the two groups in number of injections received, weight loss, percent of weight loss, hip and waist circumference, weight loss per injections, or in hunger ratings. HCG does not appear to enhance the effectiveness of a rigidly imposed regimen for weight reduction.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

Update to that paper: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1365103/?tool=pubmed which discusses why the Archer/Harper paper methods failed.

1. A meta-analysis was conducted to assess if there is scientific ground for the use of human chorionic gonadotropin (HCG) as adjunctive therapy in the treatment of obesity. 2. Published papers relating to eight controlled and 16 uncontrolled trials that measured the effect of HCG in the treatment of obesity were traced by computer-aided search and citation tracking. 3. The trials were scored for the quality of the methods (based on four main categories: study population, interventions, measurement of effect, and data presentation and analysis) and the main conclusion of author(s) with regard to weight-loss, fat-redistribution, hunger, and feeling of well-being. 4. Methodological scores ranged from 16 to 73 points (maximum score 100), suggesting that most studies were of poor methodological quality. Of the 12 studies scoring 50 or more points, one reported that HCG was a useful adjunct. The studies scoring 50 or more points were all controlled. 5. We conclude that there is no scientific evidence that HCG is effective in the treatment of obesity; it does not bring about weight-loss of fat-redistribution, nor does it reduce hunger or induce a feeling of well-being.
  • sexycheesemonkey
    sexycheesemonkey Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    You guys do realize nursing women do lose a ton of bodyfat...

P.S. DO ANY OF YOU KNOW HOW TO MAKE A BIRD FEEDER???

Bird feeder....corn on the cob...peanut butter...and bird seed =) and tooth picks.
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    You guys do realize nursing women do lose a ton of bodyfat...

P.S. DO ANY OF YOU KNOW HOW TO MAKE A BIRD FEEDER???

I'm glad you asked! It's quite simple, really.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/409529-pine-cone-bird-feeder
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    You loss because you were in a severe calorie deficit. Good luck with your lean body mass goals for 2012.
  • deniserenee_02
    deniserenee_02 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    It's a waste of money I never had any lasting results from diet gimics sp?
  • cindycoley19
    cindycoley19 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    HCG Drops= SCAM!

Save your money. Eat well and excercise.
  • victoriamorphis
    victoriamorphis Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    So true! I have a few friends that have tried it too and they don't look healthy at all.
  • harlygrl
    Options
    Hcg is safe but the calorie's are 500 per day. The problem with hcg is if you don't follow it to the T- you could gain back plus some. I did it 1 1/2 years ago and I gained it all back. It is a very hard diet to follow if you are not committed. :) Hope this helps.
  • liljgrafix
    Options
    Not at all. you have to eat only 500 calories. no sugar no fat and very little carbs. its hard as hell to do and it is not healthy
This discussion has been closed.