2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I've lost 66 pounds.

Tips:

1) log EVERYTHING. Every bite, every lick, every taste. Everything that goes in your mouth. Then overestimate the calories for everything slightly to allow for margin of error.

2) stay at around 100-150 g of net carbs; limit refined/white carbs

3) don't eat, or severely limit processed food (especially fast food); stay away from added sugars (fruit in moderation is fine)
  • ItsLessOfMe
    ItsLessOfMe Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Dont quit
  • thpeek
    thpeek Posts: 76
    Options
    #1 Portion Control
    #2 Reduced Carbs and Bad Fats
    #3 Daily Exercise Regimen
  • leogirl724
    Options
    8-12 c of water a day
    exercise 30 min a day/4 days a week {combine 20 min cardio/10 strength training}
    eat 6 balanced meals a day....3 Meals/brk/lun/din....3 snacks/am/pm/late...
    {try to always combine nutrients...brkfst-protein,whole grain carb and high fiber fruit
    lunch: Lean protein, Veggie, and good fat
    dinner: lean protein, good carb and veggie

AM Snack: protein/fruit~~PM Snack: veggie/good fat~~Late Snack: low sugar sweet treat
  • JessicaHoskins
    Options
    1) Record your weight only one time a week; numbers WILL fluctuate from day-to-day so designate only 1 day/week for your weight records.
    2) Water,water,water! Drink 8 Oz. before/during/AND after meals to help feeling full.
    3) Wait until 30 minutes before you have seconds; IF you must!
    I know you only asked for my 3 top tips for weight loss, but I cannot leave Exercise out; even if it's only walking @ your house cleaning to going to the Gym & working out vigorously.
    :flowerforyou:
  • cjones0992
    cjones0992 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    bump! great info
  • yag1630
    Options
    1. Log everything that goes in your mouth. Only lying to yourself if you don't.
    2. Exercise at least 30 minutes at least 5 days a week. It will become habit after a while.
    3. Eat your exercise calories. You earned that extra food:)
    4. Don't let one bad day/meal/week derail you.
    5. Do this for you, and only you. You are worth it.

This are great information...Thank you TammyE!
  • msgingerc
    Options
    I've lost weight every single week since I started my "healthy lifestyle" in early November 2011, even with taking three weeks off over Christmas/New Year. Here's how:

1. I exercise six days per week, without fail. When I get to the end of a day during the week when my body is sore and achey beyond the usual amount of muscle fatigue I get from working out, I take the next day off, and I enjoy the break as something I need to do to allow my body to rest and repair itself.

2. I try to eat to within 50 calories of my calorie goal every single day. I work out pretty hard, so sometimes I have a lot of exercise calories to make up and I can't eat quite enough because I'm too full, but if I can eat within 50 calories of goal, I'm happy.

3. Every now and than, say one day out of every two/three weeks, I might go out for brunch or lunch, or have a few wines with my dinner - something that puts me over calorie goal for the day. I try to plan ahead for this; if I plan ahead, I don't feel guilty about it. Either way, the next meal or the next day, I get back to my healthy eating and working out. I don't let one "bad" meal derail my new lifestyle. I don't even think of it as a bad meal - I think of it as part of a lifestyle that is sustainable over the long term.

4. I drink at least 10 huge glasses / 4 litres of water every day, without fail. I do this because (a) I love water, and (b) I don't retain fluids and tend to get thirsty a lot.

5. I take two supplements on an empty stomach in the morning half an hour before I work out. 1. Dfine8, and 2. L-Carnitine. The first one gives me extra energy to expend during my workout - I can push myself harder for longer than I can when I work out in the afternoons (don't take Dfine8 in the afternoons, or you won't sleep a wink!). The second helps reduce muscle soreness after exercise. Both are said to assist in burning fat.

6. I get up very early to work out, so I tend to go to sleep pretty early these days, too. I'm usually turning my lights out around 9:30pm, around 10:30pm at the latest.

7. I am kind to myself when it comes to what I'm achieving with this lifestyle. I don't beat myself up or get discouraged if I don't lose my goal of 1kg per week. I know that things are happening physically, mentally, emotionally, and that it's all good. If I stick to the six items above, then I am winning, whether it is obvious to me (i.e. on the scales) or not.

8. I eat food and participate in activities I enjoy. I am in Australia and eating Lite N Easy, and I LOVE it. At least once every couple of days I'll remark over a meal "This is the best thing that's ever happened to me!" and I mean it. I treadmill, do Zumba, boxing and martial arts - all physical activities that I enjoy and that I don't get bored with. If I'm participating in group exercises (like Zumba) and I can't do the moves perfectly, I just keep moving and do the closest approximation thereof that I'm capable of. As long as I'm moving around and keeping my heart rate up, I'm winning.

9. I'm doing all of this because I love myself and I love life, and I want to be the very best version of myself that I can be. It's the only way.

Best of luck to you, and to everyone else using MFP. It's the best tool I've discovered in keeping me honest and accountable, and I love it.

Ginger
    x
  • msgingerc
    Options
    P.S. I've lost a total of 14kg / 30.8 pounds so far, doing the above.
  • alnav
    alnav Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    1. Take a picture of yourself with no shirt on or of your weight and place it in your wallet or the background of your cellphone so you see it every time you go to buy some fast food.
    2. Disegnate a bracelet, ring, or necklace that you wear everyday as your diet companion to constantly remind yourself of your goals.
    3. MOVE!!!! Think about all the extra calories we could burn if used the stairs, walked to the store instead of driving, took your dog for a walk, and shot some hoops instead of watching TV.
  • Paco0919
    Paco0919 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • KimsWeightloss
    Options
    One thing I have been reading is to cut out all diet drinks and foods that contain aspartame and sucralose. They can make you crave carbs and also make you gain weight.
  • TheFitnessTutor
    TheFitnessTutor Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    The Three P's

1. Patience: Goal time: Take that P90 type of approach and shove it. Insane60 days? 90 days? how about 120, or 365? Oh those don't sound as good for marketing do they? Take any goal time less than half a year and double it. This way you won't get in some rush and try to burn 1000 calories a day, like you're really going to want to do that for the rest of your life to control your body weight. Instead you will be more apt to learn how to properly lose weight, which is a hell of a lot slower than what most people have in their minds. What's in most people's minds was put there by media, not research.

2. Patience: Scale not moving? Don't worry about it. "Don't weigh yourself everyday it will only frustrate you" I say hogwash! How about this, "man the Eff up" or "woman the eff up" and get over yourself. I say weigh yourself multiple times a day if you can, so you can see how body weight fluctuates naturally, and how you should be more concerned with other things. This is the opposite way of getting over the scale blues. If your protocol is correct, the scale will move.

3. Patience: For most people, this is a learning experience. So be careful where you put your time learning, which means ignore just about 99% of what you read and see. People that have lost weight suddenly think they are experts on fat loss. "what i did, was, ...what I ate was...the supplement I took was...." Sorry, I don't know what to tell you. You might want to invest more time in reading research instead of anecdotes that are really opinion powered by placebo effects. The industry over all wants you to be ignorant so you'll buy more this or that or spend more time on a website clicking ads. You're piloting, arguably, the most advanced vessel on the planet, it might take some time to learn the ropes.
  • annacham
    annacham Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    bump
  • committomittxoxo
    committomittxoxo Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Bizidibump.. :)
  • realsolarina
    Options
    1. Find a way to stay motivated - Watch inspirational youtube videos, join other fitness sites, surround yourself with people with the same goals, etc......

2. Make the right choice - Every day you are faced with choices where one will lead you to your goal or farther from it. I always tell myself, "for once in your life, man the F up and make the right choice!"

3. Knowledge is key - Informing yourself on how to properly lose weight is the best thing you can do for yourself. Don't base your weight loss attempts on "what other people say" or "I saw this on tv or read it in an article" Really educate yourself properly on the aspects of losing weight or whatever your goals are.

Good luck on your 2012 goals!

^^^ This

Great post - every day I ask myself to make the right choices, and to make these choices for LIFE. I've lost and gained weight for 20 years - this time, I'm telling myself "this is the last time I'm losing these pounds" because I'm going to change the way I eat permanently
  • thecazstewart
    thecazstewart Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • k1mcat
    k1mcat Posts: 68
    Options
    Bump! Love this thread. :flowerforyou:
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    The Three P's

1. Patience: Goal time: Take that P90 type of approach and shove it. Insane60 days? 90 days? how about 120, or 365? Oh those don't sound as good for marketing do they? Take any goal time less than half a year and double it. This way you won't get in some rush and try to burn 1000 calories a day, like you're really going to want to do that for the rest of your life to control your body weight. Instead you will be more apt to learn how to properly lose weight, which is a hell of a lot slower than what most people have in their minds. What's in most people's minds was put there by media, not research.

2. Patience: Scale not moving? Don't worry about it. "Don't weigh yourself everyday it will only frustrate you" I say hogwash! How about this, "man the Eff up" or "woman the eff up" and get over yourself. I say weigh yourself multiple times a day if you can, so you can see how body weight fluctuates naturally, and how you should be more concerned with other things. This is the opposite way of getting over the scale blues. If your protocol is correct, the scale will move.

3. Patience: For most people, this is a learning experience. So be careful where you put your time learning, which means ignore just about 99% of what you read and see. People that have lost weight suddenly think they are experts on fat loss. "what i did, was, ...what I ate was...the supplement I took was...." Sorry, I don't know what to tell you. You might want to invest more time in reading research instead of anecdotes that are really opinion powered by placebo effects. The industry over all wants you to be ignorant so you'll buy more this or that or spend more time on a website clicking ads. You're piloting, arguably, the most advanced vessel on the planet, it might take some time to learn the ropes.

:flowerforyou: