Want weight loss? Push your body to the limits

Options

Replies

• banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    same here c. I couldn't go outside today, it was brutal, rainy and 37 degrees. Hi flu weather.
    So I just did a tred mill variable run today. Not as good but had my heart rate at about 84% for
    22 minutes (out of 30) and averaged 82% so I can't complain too much. You just don't get the same kind of burn from straight running, and the pully machines were packed today so trying to do my gym circuit would have been an exercise in frustration. I wish I had more time at lunch to do this stuff. On the up side it's suppose to get close to 60 tomorrow so I'll be out there unless it's pouring out.
  • kimdommerc
    Options
    Ok Banks, I'm in. I'll try it and let you know how it works. I promise to give it my very best and stick to it for at least one week. At this point I am willing to try anything, besides it will give my kids another reason to laugh at me:laugh: They find it absolutely hillarious to watch me do Tae-bo, so this ought to really crack them up.

Thanks for the challenge, I need it!
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    Nice Al! Is there any better feeling then knowing you left EVERYTHING out on the field? Knowing there is nothing more you could have done today to improve yourself gives you a giant sense of self-satisfaction. Great Job! BTW, I hear ya about the groin, for me it was lower back, but it was all muscle soreness, not the pain you get when you injure your back. The nice thing about this workout is, you work so many muscle groups so hard, that the next day, you KNOW which ones are weaker then they should be and need more work!

Well its the morning, got a really nice, 'I've worked myself ache', and best of all i can walk! lol
    Today has however has turned in to a rest day, i think i need it.

As good as i think i'm doing in the gym, 800+ cals on 40 minutes worth of machines (1 Hour sesh + streching etc), its nothing compared to the field work.

Even my sholders are feeling it lol

Awesome!

Al
  • melathon
    melathon Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Bump!
    (I could, of course, print this out and take it to the gym with me, but instead I'll just keep bumping it so it's easy to find!)
    :tongue:

Banks, I tried the frog jumps (or whatever they're called) in the gym yesterday. Felt like an idiot, but got over it. Wow. I haven't done competitive sports since 8th grade basketball a long time ago, but it took me back to "suicides," etc., and thinking, "How can Coach expect us to get faster when we're dying?"
    I think this is what I need right now to kick things up a notch.
    Thanks...I think.

I think you should be a personal trainer. Are you?
  • jesusgrl14
    jesusgrl14 Posts: 250
    Options
    Ok, so I did the workout with a friend this morning! OH WOW! I was pretty surprised through the whole thing. I gotta say I was really worried about the wind sprints but they were no problem. The frog jump, however, was a WHOLE different story. I could not believe that I couldn't even do 2 laps of those! I am really looking forward to looking back on this when I am actually doing the frog jumps all the way and thinking about how far I have come! Thanks for giving us this, Banks! My friend and I are going to get up at 6 and do this every Tues/Thurs. I do have a question, how are you logging this in the exercise bank? Can you come up with a count for it and post it so we can all use it? Again thank you! :drinker:
  • banks1850
    Options
    Well, I'm very happy you guys are all trying this out and liking it. Yes, I know the frog jumps are a little embarrassing, but hey, they really work, if they ever get really easy to do, you know your butt quads hami's and calves are really getting into shape!

As to what you should record these as, well, considering how hard you work I would definately classify this as vigorous cardio. The thing is, this is more then cardio, the frog jumps, the side slides, and the push ups all classify as partial resistance training as well (a kind of hybrid resistance training) so not only do you get the immediate calorie burn of cardio, you get some of the longer weight training calorie burn as well, when you wake up sore, that means your muscles are rebuilding and your metabolism is most likely running at a slightly excellerated rate. That being said, I probably wouldn't add too much more then the cardio to your MFP exercise sheet. Maybe just put in the time as vigorous cardio (same as an intense spinning class or something similar), plus an extra 100 calories or so for the resistance portion of it (just so you aren't creating too large a deficite). One thing to remember, when you feel sore from training, a little bell should go off in your head to eat more protein (milk, most beans, meats, cheeses...etc) because your body is trying to build muscle, going over your protein alotment is ok in this situation, you can usually add 10 to 20% extra protein if you are doing any kind of active weight or resistance training.

Today is modefied day for me. I have to work out inside because, although the rain has stopped finally, it's very muddy out there and mud is dangerous for some of this stuff. So I'll do core plus 4, 3 minute bursts of 9.5 mph. Doesn't sound like much, I iknow, but I only take 1 minute between the run and the core work, and no breaks in between the core work, so my heart rate goes from about 88% on the tred mill to about 82% at the end of the workouts, which is still in the range I want it. After the 1 minute rest it is down to about 78% (the goal is never to go below 75%).

BTW, no I'm not a personal trainer. LOL, I still have a lot of work to do on my core before I wouldn't be embarrassed about even going for that type of certification, plus I have chicken legs. :ohwell:
  • jesusgrl14
    jesusgrl14 Posts: 250
    Options
    Ok, so there is no listing for "cardio". How do I enter this in my exercise profile?? I don't have the first clue as to how many calories I should have burned to even pick something similar. Should I use "spinning class" and then add another 100 calories? If I knew how many calories then I would just create an exercise not listed and then everyone can use it. Help!!
  • Smilineyes
    Smilineyes Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Ahh I love it! I love feeling my body being pushed to it's limits. I played competitive sports since I was little through high school and now I'm a coach so there's always this little voice in my head telling me to keep going when I feel like I'm dying. I think I'm gonna try this. There's a park right around the corner and we've had 70 degree weather lately :tongue: Yay I'm excited!

:heart: Kels
  • Smilineyes
    Smilineyes Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    oh, you know what? I just thought of something, if your gym has a place that is big enough (like a big aerobics studio, or a basketball court or something), that should be plenty big enough for monsters. you can definately replace the sprinting with monsters. Make sure you have good solid cross training (not running, this is harder on the ankles then running) or basketball sneakers for this.

What is a monster you ask?

Here it is:

Mark a spot 10 yards away (10 paces)

then mark a spot 20 yards away (in basketball they do 4 lines but we can do 2 since we are doing other things)
    1 monster is: sprint up to the 10 yards, touch the spot, sprint back to the starting line, touch that, sprint up to the 20 yard spot, touch, sprint back and through. You might want to lower your reps to 10 if you do these as, it sounds easy but thats 60 yards instead of 30. The key is go flat out for the 20 yard return (the last part), no matter how tired you are, when I say as fast as you can, I mean it (contorted face, hands clenched, grunting, you know, all the nastyness of a workout in full bore).

If you can't conceptualize it, go rent the movie Hoosiers with gene hackman. If you don't like basketball movies, just fast forward to the first practice scene (I think, Ill check, if you have netflix it's available to watch instantly) That's monsters! And it's brutal goodness.:noway:

Haha also known as suicides because they'll kill ya! And Hoosiers is an awesome movie! :happy:
  • banks1850
    Options
    Ok, so there is no listing for "cardio". How do I enter this in my exercise profile?? I don't have the first clue as to how many calories I should have burned to even pick something similar. Should I use "spinning class" and then add another 100 calories? If I knew how many calories then I would just create an exercise not listed and then everyone can use it. Help!!

Hmm, well, without using an HRM, spinning (as long as it's really hard core spinning) would probably be pretty close, but remember, this will only be an estimate unless you have a heart rate monitor. (Just like everything).
  • cobra1368
    cobra1368 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I just had a chat with a co-worker about the boot camp workout you suggested. He is an ex-Navy Seal. He does those kinds of workouts at 5 in the morning. He says the neighbors all think he's nuts. He's out there with a headlamp and hand weights!! LOL

Anyway, he thought it was so cool that I was doing it. It is fun to share something with someone that has done it for years. That dude is in his 40s, and he looks like he's in his early 30s. He's ripped. It's amazing.
  • banks1850
    Options
    Ohh, did he approve of the routine? It would be nice to know that someone with that kind of experience approves. :tongue:
  • Eliyan
    Eliyan Posts: 115
    Options
    Yeah, we used to do this in gym class. Pretty fun for such a hard work out.

All I can say, is make sure you've eaten enough that day. I had gym class first period a few years ago and didn't eat breafast; I actually passed out right in the middle. BAD PLAN. :tongue:
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    Ahhh!!!!, i've felt awesome all day after doing this routine yesterday.

I've got a total body work out.

I do agree tho the frog hops were the worst ones todo, but it such a good feeling the day after.

I've said it before and i'll say it again, this is awesome banks!

Cheers

Al
  • rmitchell2301
    Options
    It has been so long since I put myself through a workout like this. About 8 years ago as a senior in high school when I was playing soccer to be exact. I'm gonna do it. Mark my words and if you guys don't hear back from me I expect flame mail!

Rob
  • banks1850
    Options
    lol! I will relish it!
  • banks1850
    Options
    :devil: this exercise routine will, most assuredly, BUMP up your metabolism!
  • natileebee
    Options
    I just had a chat with a co-worker about the boot camp workout you suggested. He is an ex-Navy Seal. He does those kinds of workouts at 5 in the morning. He says the neighbors all think he's nuts. He's out there with a headlamp and hand weights!! LOL

Anyway, he thought it was so cool that I was doing it. It is fun to share something with someone that has done it for years. That dude is in his 40s, and he looks like he's in his early 30s. He's ripped. It's amazing.

That is the funnies thing I've read. Headlamp? Okay, I read this post yesterday and want to give it a try, but it is very rainy here right now and I have two little ones, so no chance to use the gym. I was worried about doing this and having the neighbors laughing at me, but remembered what Banks said about how I might look funny now, but I'll be lookin' good latter. So I finally decide this morning, as soon as the sun decides to shine, I'm giving this a try. And after reading aboud the co-worker, I have to try this!
  • rmitchell2301
    Options
    Alright, so I went at it today, and failed miserably. I only made it to 5 of the shuffles BUT it was the first time I've done any type of workout quite a while. I'm creating a spreadsheet to track my progress and I"m hoping by the end of the month I'll be able to make it through. That should feel awesome.

Rob
  • kimdommerc
    Options
    Ok Banks, I tried it today too but I also failed miserably:sad: And I thought Tae-bo was a tough workout LOL. Your bootcamp workout made that seem like a leisurely stroll through the park. I am going to keep at it though and I WILL make it through it sooner or later. I wont quit until I can do it for 7 consecutive days. That is my new challenge to myself. Thanks again Banks for inspiring me to push myself to such an extent. I need it::flowerforyou: