Question for the divorced daters.....

Options

Replies

• PeekABooGirl
    PeekABooGirl Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I've been separated since last March and will be divorced in April. But, my marriage was over long ago.....emotionally abusive situation that took me a while to get the strength to actually leave. But to a large degree, I felt like I mourned the loss of the relationship long before I actually left. I've spent the past year learning how to become independant again, making my own decisions, getting stable on my own two feet. But it's only been recently that I've really started wanting male companionship again. Not just the physical aspect but also just being with a man in general. I've poked around online a bit. But I need to get myself in the mindset to just date for FUN not date for a longterm relationship. (If it happens, it happens -- but I think anyone coming out of a long term relationship/divorce SHOULD take some time rediscovering the opposite sex. Figuring out what they want this next time around, what works and what doesn't work, etc.) I've never been the type to just date for the sake of dating. I've always had the goal of happily ever after. But for now, I am in no rush to get into happily ever after. Just would be happy finding an honest, respectful guy who treated me right.

I don't think there is any set timeline of when it's ok to date again. Depends on each personal situation.
  • terra32903
    terra32903 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to make an opinion of when is the right time for anyone to do something (or than for myself). With that said, I would agree with what many have said here...find happiness with yourself. Learn to be alone. Love yourself and then you will be able to love others. If you are bored or lonely get out and do things. Get a dog. They love to go for walks/runs and you will never find a more loyal companion. My dog sleeps in my bed every night and quite honestly I prefer his companionship to most of the men I have met in the years since I have been single. Maybe take up a new hobby. MeetUp.com has all sorts of groups that will meet in your area. Book clubs, kayaking, religious groups to name a few. You will know when you are ready to share your life with someone. Until then...enjoy being single. :smile:
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Only YOU will know when the time is right to date. It took me two years to finally start dating and then once I got out there I realized dating was not what it used to be. I tried a few dating sites also and those were big fails. Now I am just letting it happen on its own. I am sure I will meet someone when the time is right. Good luck to you!! :wink:

Same story here. I've found that I'm at an age where most of the men that I'd be interested in dating are either already married or they just aren't interested in me for one reason or another. I certainly wouldn't advise anyone to go out and rush into a relationship after a divorce, but you don't want to wait too long either.
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to make an opinion of when is the right time for anyone to do something (or than for myself). With that said, I would agree with what many have said here...find happiness with yourself. Learn to be alone. Love yourself and then you will be able to love others. If you are bored or lonely get out and do things. Get a dog. They love to go for walks/runs and you will never find a more loyal companion. My dog sleeps in my bed every night and quite honestly I prefer his companionship to most of the men I have met in the years since I have been single. Maybe take up a new hobby. MeetUp.com has all sorts of groups that will meet in your area. Book clubs, kayaking, religious groups to name a few. You will know when you are ready to share your life with someone. Until then...enjoy being single. :smile:

I've been doing this.. I go out all the time with friends, have a dog, workout, take classes etc etc.. I think I just like the city fast life too much. Either that or being trapped for so long being miserable really did a number on me and I'm enjoying my new freedom.
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    After my divorce I was like you a few dates here and there but didn't really see anyone serious until two years after divorce it had been over a year before divorce. And honestly the only reason I think I seriously dated again and got married was because my husband was my first love so that's y I think it was so easy because if it weren't for him I think I would still be single
  • rockracerp89
    Options
    I have been single now for 2 years and love being single.
    No one to report to, criticize what I eat, watch what i want on tv, see my friends, decorate my place or spend my money.
    I only need a woman around for 1 thing, and all my freedom is not worth giving up for that.
    It's FWB or nothing.
    I have been studying Leykis101
  • lorro
    lorro Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    im curious
    - did you decide to get healthier after the divorce?
    - did you decide to get healthy and realize you wanted a total life change and get divorced?
    - did they have nothing to do with each other?

For me the divorce motivated me to change everything else, including my job and (eventually) my unhealthy lifestyle. My life had stagnated for years and I resisted change because the consequences were too difficult, but once I was free I was so thirsty for change.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    My soon to be ex wife and i split in june. I have yet to go out on a date. I have just now come to the conclusion that i dont NEED a relationship(although i do miss having someone around). I have my daughter that lives full time with me and she takes up my free time now . She has taken the divorce alot harder than me( and its not her biological mom, although my ex is still Momma Chelle to her, that part makes me the saddest) So between work and raising a daughter by my self , I have no idea where i would even find the time to look! Im hoping to run into Miss Perfect For Me someday but for now my responsibilities of being a single parent come first:)
  • harley47920
    harley47920 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    After a horrible marriage and my walking papers, I met my best friend and ended up marrying him about 2 1/2 years after the divorce. We weren't looking for a relationship other thn friendship, but things happened and I thank God for it. :happy:

After the divorce and a brief moment of insanity (I gave it one more shot with the ex-husband to see if we could make it work... NOT), I made a vow to myself that I would rather be alone than to settle for something less than I wanted. I was not about to waste any more time trying to find someone decent. It was like picking fresh green beans at a farmer's market. No thank you!

So, I was not looking and officially off the market because it was all about me and my life. I was going to enjoy doing things for myself and myself alone. I was fine with that and began to have fun with it. Then...

I met the most wonderful man that became a friend and then my husband. It happened by chance. You see, he's a mortgage officer that was doing some professional networking on-line. I, being an insurance agent, was someone that approached. Needless to say, we started talking about things other than insurance & houses. We discovered that we had a lot in common. We would talk for hours on the phone each night. He lived about 2 hours away, so it wasn't like we saw each other at that point.

We became friends and we made each other laugh. Then it happened. I realized that I loved this man that I had never met in person. We talked about meeting and decided to take it slow and easy. Yeah, right. One look at him and I knew it as soon as I took a look into his eyes. I had found my soulmate.

Its been almost 5 years since we've been married. Would have I done it differently? Nope. I honestly feel that it was because I was single and not looking that the man of my dreams was able to find and approach me.

Don't settle for anything less than what you truly deserve.

Best of luck to you!!
  • shanlynt
    shanlynt Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    I say stay single and sleep around.
  • Ginger4real
    Options
    There is no set time.. I would just go out and let life happen...but def would have a booty call on speed dial! Just sayin! No need to go it alone ...:tongue:
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    haha, I wish I could do the whole FWB but I can't..... I'd be a mess!! I've said this before, if I want to sleep with you PLUS you're my friend and obviously we have a connection... then I'd probably fall in love. I'd be the poster child for what NOT to do with a FWB. :ohwell:
  • stevieb3052
    stevieb3052 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    When I split up, I tried internet dating straight away. Looking back it was a reaction to the idea that if my ex didn't want me, then there were plenty of others who did. I did the loads of first dates, like most people, met some nice ladies and one or two bunny boilers. After about 6 months of that, I started another relationship, but that didn't last 12 months.

I had to check how long I had been divorced recently and it surprised me, as did the length of time since I last dated!

I've almost sorted my health issues. Finances are looking in better shape but I'm in no rush to get back into the dating scene - all that pressure and there's the thought that most women who might give me a second glance will be grandmothers.

Not that this is an issue, I'd prefer to be aiming for M*lfs!
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    You need one of these

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHMa2mSX_WsWrwlz9CJD_A0jcy4mhizvmdrx5NLmUCAcwDF6VX

I got one...works wonders :flowerforyou:
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    I always try to line the next talent up before I let the previous talent go.
  • WifeNMama
    WifeNMama Posts: 2,876 Member
    Options
    I haven't been divorced, but my husband and i have counselled or dealt with the aftermath of a few of them. My advice is to surround yourself with your friends. Keep busy with different interests that you haven't had time for or haven't pursued. I think most people have the hardest time being alone in the evening. Maybe you could get a friend to come stay over occasionally so you have some company.

Decide an amount of time (six months, a year, less?) Where you do not get involved, whether seriously or casually, with anyone. You need time to evaluate what caused the end of your marriage, your part in it, his part in it, habits and character traits that did not mesh well, and the positive things that really worked. You need to have time to grieve the ending of a marriage, as well. Even the people who are happy their marriage is over need time to grieve the fact that they got to that point. You deserve to have your feelings validated, and you need to find out who you are without the title of wife.

Lastly, counsellors of any kind advise that you do not make any big, life altering decisions after a loss. This includes moving to a new town or state (unless the divorce proceedings make it necessary), changing careers suddenly, serious relationships, etc.

Keep taking care of yourself physically, too. :-) Best wishes to you.
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    You need one of these

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQHMa2mSX_WsWrwlz9CJD_A0jcy4mhizvmdrx5NLmUCAcwDF6VX

I am up to three of these now!!!
  • Dayna154
    Dayna154 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I have been divorced for a far longer time than I was married. Had a serious relationship that was harder to walk away from than my marriage. We were together 11+ yrs and spit 2.5+ yr ago. There was a lot of abuse and negative things for me to deal with from our relationship. I got online to date right away but found I kept finding excuses to not date. I realized I needed to work on myself first. So I waited, got to where I am today mentally and found that I love being single and being the independent person I am. I have gone on LOTS of first dates a few repeat dates but just wasnt finding anyone who was worth giving up being single for.
    So I kind of gave up and then met a guy who I became good freinds with who I really like..
    Find out who you are and what you really want... the rest will fall into place when you are really ready
  • macylane4
    Options
    I have a question for everybody....I've never been married, so I can't say I've been divorced. I've had a few long term relationships, and at times thought about marriage, but never went through with it. Why do marriages so often not work? I am going through a very rough patch with my current boyfriend,and don't know if it is worth it to stay together. We have been dating for 5 years. Any advice, or words of encouragment for me?!?!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I dated about 6 months after leaving the house, but before the legal divorce was final. And that was good FOR ME.

One thing I'll say, though. Make sure you're ready... cause if you date and then decide "No wait... I need more time for sleeping around, smoking pot, being alone, enjoying my knitting more..." whatever, it really hurts the other person involved.

So try not to jump into something until you sure you're ready....