Who wants to eat fish when it tastes so fishy?

Options

Replies

• jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    It is a healthy lean protein and would be great if you could incorporate it into your diet. But, you don't HAVE to eat fish.

Aside from getting white, mild fish varieties and getting as fresh as possible, you can always try to eat it with other things
    and not just by itself. One of our favorite things is fish tacos. Bake, broil or grill the fish (not fry) and put in a corn tortilla
    with homemade mango or pineapple salsa along with some unprepared coleslaw shreds (sold in bags in the produce section). You wont even know you are eating fish. Or dice up cubes of fish and make it into a stir-fry with veggies. The fish will just take on the flavor of the sauce/seasonings you use.
  • AmyLRed
    AmyLRed Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    ditto. i eat no fish, i dont like the taste, smell or texture :(
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    It takes some getting used to. I used to hate fish and now I eat it about twice a week. Every time I eat out I choose fish as well.
  • annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    My mian suggestion is by it fresh, and if it smells fishy don't buy it. Good fresh fish should smell like the ocean, not like "fish". Halibut and stealhead are really good white fish, aka no fishy tasting fish. Another thing you can do is marinate it before you cook it, that way the fish itself with have more flavor.
  • Sarahmeridith
    Sarahmeridith Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Try going to fish market good quality fish should not taste fishy and cook it quickly only buy what you can eat in a few days
  • lknorthstar
    lknorthstar Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I am trying to add fish to my diet, but.. I HATE FISH! The fishy taste is just terrible. I have tried Tilapia, Salmon, Trout, Cod and Tuna steak and i just do not like it. Is there any fish out there that is still good for me and still has a decent taste?

Mahi-Mahi is the blandest I have tasted. To me it didn't seem to have a flavor other then the the sauce I put on it.
  • panicintheattic
    panicintheattic Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Is there a specific reason you're trying to incorporate fish? If you don't find anything you enjoy the taste of, find a supplement for whatever nutrient you're looking for! If it's an omega thing, flax and chia seeds are good sources, and that you can just blend into smoothies. Aside from that and protein, I can't really think of what else fish is an especially good source of, otherwise I'd offer other suggestions.
  • NicolePatriot
    NicolePatriot Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Try dolphin/mahi-mahi

Soooo yummy!!!
  • I love fish, all fish, so I guess it's just a food for your taste buds. I could fish everyday if I wasn't afraid of mercury poisoning.
  • jellybeanhed313
    jellybeanhed313 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I think tilapia is the least fishy tasting. I make a foil pack and cook it in the oven with lemon juice and mrs. dash or dill is really good. Also, blackend seasoning has a fairly strong so it covers the taste of most fish. I usually buy frozen fish. Unless you live very close to the ocean, frozen is the freshest you are going to get.
  • Obeg
    Obeg Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My favorite new quick, easy, nutritious supper is as follows:
    - 6 cooked jumbo shrimp (you can buy a bag of pre-cooked shrimp - all you gotta do is drop them in boiling water for a couple minutes)
    - a Bag of Birds-Eye Steamfresh Veggies
    - You can top with a little of your best salad dressing if you like

This gives me a 250 calorie very filling meal that provides fiber, veggies, and protein. 252 calories, 30g protein, 2g fat, 20g carbs, 300g sodium. Done in 8 minutes and very good.
  • annameier8706
    annameier8706 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Freshness is the key. The taste completely changes once you freeze a fish. I'm spoiled cause I live on the pacific coast. Fresh Halibut is, in my opinion one of the least "fishy" tasting fish. Unfortunately I love it battered and deep fried....so I haven't had any for a long time. ;(

I agree 100%, I am from the Pacific NW and I have had fresh, WILD, salmon and nothing else has been the same since we moved to California...
  • garbanzalo
    garbanzalo Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    If it tastes fishy, you are cooking it wrong.

Pomfret is the best fish for those who cannot stand the fish taste but it is best fried or in a curry.
  • LaviMc
    LaviMc Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    This is basically how I cook my tilapia! So yummy!
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should try fresh fish. It isn't supposed to taste like that.

^^^ THIS^^^ I don't know where you live, but if possible try a local fish market!
    <<<
    Coastal Girl!!!
  • susanswan
    susanswan Posts: 1,194 Member
    Options
    I could eat tuna out of the can for breakfast, lunch, and dinner! Love it! Also Anchovies!!!! Taste is very similar to sardines and caviar to me! Salmon, cold and hot smoked salmon, sea bass, swordfish, halibut, smoked kipper snacks in a can, smoked oysters, any kind of smoked anything! Not a fan of tilapia (tastes like dirt to me!) or catfish. Rockfish when I prepared it left a little to be desired. Actually the eel sushi is really good, too...must be smoked! Haven't had it in a while.

If fish smells fishy raw or cooked it is old. It shouldn't smell like anything when you buy it!
  • lknorthstar
    lknorthstar Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    fresh fish shouldn't taste fishy. If it tastes fishy, well, then... it's fishy (if you know what I mean. Be suspicious)
    try shrimp, lobster, cod, tuna...
    I adore shrimp!

I like shrimp too but my favorite is crab! I LOVE CRAB! Now I want crab for supper~
  • Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Well you have to make sure its a clean girl......errrr crap....I think you are talking about something different.
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    I am trying to add fish to my diet, but.. I HATE FISH! The fishy taste is just terrible. I have tried Tilapia, Salmon, Trout, Cod and Tuna steak and i just do not like it. Is there any fish out there that is still good for me and still has a decent taste?

I eat Tilapia, Salmon, Cod, tuna, Flounder...All of them I like except tuna is borderline. I hate that fishy taste. I can not eat canned tuna or salmon. The trick is to get really fresh fish it tastes the best and doesn't taste fishy at all.

The only way Ill eat tuna is Raw. Raw tuna is delectable!

Also Fish tacos that's a great way to eat fish and have it taste AMAZING!
  • vettle
    vettle Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I prefer salmon and tuna raw - have you tried this? I normally hate fish cooked but I will eat some types.