100 Colonoscopies

Options

Replies

• Usbornegal
    Usbornegal Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Who's going to step up to the plate and schedule one today?
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I had to have one early at age 32 and have to have another in 5 years because of high risk. Colon cancer runs in my family and it is a HORRIBLE disease. Its sad to watch someone slip away from any type of cancer. Colonoscopies are not fun at all but they can save peoples lives.
  • meechi53
    meechi53 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I actually will be scheduling one/getting referred at my next dr appointment, I just turned 40 and my mom 15 years ago died at the age of 54 from colon cancer that had spread to her liver. Her father had colon cancer when he was 64 or 65, but it was caught early and he lived to be 96. And this was back in the early 70's.
  • Freedom4Brooke
    Options
    I, at the ripe old age of 30, am having one monday, 2/27.
    I'm on my low fiber diet now and go clear liquids tomorrow..... that puts me as number 14 or 15??

Wonder what this system purge will do for my weight loss..... hmmmmm
  • Usbornegal
    Options
    You are 15! My dh lost a pound through the process.
  • emfilomena
    Options
    I had my first colonoscopy at age 16, believe it or not. They were doing diagnostic testing for a large array of symptoms. It turned out to be gastroparesis(paralysis of the stomach, very nasty illness).

I'm 17 now. It definitely wasn't the greatest experience, but it was very important I had one because they feared I might've had colon cancer.
  • aerdna88
    aerdna88 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I wish my husband would have one done. He wont. I just wanted to say that I think you are awesome for putting this out there and getting it in people's minds. I told my husband and he said he wont ever get one. He's so stubborn. Anyway, I am sorry about your husband. I am going say a prayer for you guys right now....and I cant wait to see if you can get your 100!!
  • Usbornegal
    Options
    Can we get 10 more people to add this week? It would be great to hit 100 by the time of my father in laws oncology appointment on March 9.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Co-workers have been trying to talk me into getting one. They have not been able to. I have never had one and I am 61 years old. Do I really want to take off of work for this?
  • missfittin_missy
    missfittin_missy Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I lost my sister and father to colon cancer, My sister was 24 and was pregnant so the signs were masked, she went in for her 6 week check up after the baby and they could feel a mass, it had spread to her liver, she died at 26 years old. My dad was diagnosed with colon cancer about 6 weeks after my sister, he had a resection and it came back a few years later. He died @ 55 after a 5 year aggressive battle. If my sister wouldnt have been diagnosed my dad wouldve continued to ignore his problems.

Thank you for this post...... and to the poster above me..... it may be inconvient to have to miss work for this but how much work would you miss if you had to have surgery/chemo/radiation or God forbid I hear death REALLY intereferes with ones work schedule!
  • TinaMarie1260
    Options
    #16... scheduled for april 2.
  • carriem73
    carriem73 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I had one a few years ago, we have colon cancer in our family too- I'm still young, so the insurance won't do them on a regualr basis yet, until I think I hit 40...

good luck to your family and happy thoughs and prayers to your FIL!!!
  • carriem73
    Options
    Co-workers have been trying to talk me into getting one. They have not been able to. I have never had one and I am 61 years old. Do I really want to take off of work for this?

yes- early detection is KEY to colon cancer!!!!
  • jessicas0215
    Options
    Is there an age when people typically get this done? I'm only 27 years old and to my knowledge, no family history of Colon Cancer.
  • carriem73
    Options
    Is there an age when people typically get this done? I'm only 27 years old and to my knowledge, no family history of Colon Cancer.

I had one done in my mid twenties, but I had a history in the family and was having digestive issues- I think regualr screening for people with a direct family history starts around 40, and 50 for those without, but do some reseacrh on it to be sure!
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    A colonoscopy is a big and invasive first step! While I commend your efforts and commitment to the cause (I've worked in cancer for the last 7 years) there are less intense ways of nudging people towards better bowel cancer and health awareness.

http://www.nhs.uk/bowelcancer/Pages/bowel-cancer.aspx/?
  • debs6
    debs6 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Please add me to the list as I am due to have one the middle of this year. I have had two already and need to have them regularly for two reasons. 1) My dad died of colon cancer
    2) I too have Crohn's disease which further increases my chances of developing bowel cancer.
    So far so good - not even a polyp- but I am due again this year so will bite the bullet again. Really they are not so bad at all - the prep is by far the worst part of it- along with the sore bum you get from the purging.
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I had one on 15th Feb, so you can count me! I'm 48. My gran, uncle, and brother all died of bowel cancer, so in the UK I'm entitled to "free coloscopies on the NHS" Whoopee do - but sounds like we get a better deal than those of you in the US. Mine was all clear, but I will have to have one every 5 years. They remove any polyps at the same time, and as the polyps take some time to develop into nasties I should be safe. It is an unpleasant invasive procedure, and I wouldn't think people should have it unless they have symptoms or a family history. Over here we can also have a poo smear test which I think detects any blood and for worried people can indicate whether further investigation is needed. I suppose it must detect blood though, so if cancer is the cause it would be well on its way... anyway, for those who have it scheduled, take my advice and have at least three full days on the low fibre diet, and take an over the counter laxative as well the day before starting the picolax, and have 36 hours fluid only - it will reduce the unpleasantness of the preparation for colonoscopy. On the bright side, not only is it essential for your health, but you will drop several pounds that week :)
  • ncytiz
    ncytiz Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    My sister was diagnosed with stage 4 colon cancer at age 39, and we lost her 6 years later. I just had my 3rd colonoscopy done and it was all clear, but I have to be rechecked every 5 years.

It's really not that big of a deal to have it done, and it's SO worth the peace of mind. The worst part is the "clean out" before you have the procedure. The trick that works best for me is to drink the stuff quickly and then follow it with a swish of mouthwash to get rid of the aftertaste.

For those of you that know you're supposed to have one and keep putting it off, make today your day to do it!
  • Usbornegal
    Options
    We are at #18 now! Thanks to all the responders. While there might be other less invasive ways, here in the US the insurance will only pay for the 'poo test' which my FIL had showing occult blood but was STILL not going to go for his scope, or the full colonoscopy. This is so the Dr. can remove any polyps if they are seen rather than pay for the less invasive only to go back and do the bigger test for polyps. My husband had polyps removed that were not precancerous (PTL) and is good for 5 years.

Many people want to avoid a colonoscopy because of the discomfort of the 'clean out' process. But believe me, it does not even begin to compare to the pain of dying from cancer.

If your doctor has been suggesting one for you, why not make her/his day and call to schedule one today?