Make me like oatmeal!!!

Options
I have read so much about how good oatmeal is for your heart, your weight, etc. I WANT to like it!! Does anyone have any tips or tricks to make it better? I don't mind the smell, but I think it's more of a texture thing....... How do you take yours???? :indifferent:

Replies

• maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Ha, I totally feel ya, I hate the texture of oatmeal (and anything else mushy). One thing that helps me is adding some dried cranberries and chopped nuts to it, but then you have to watch the calorie count. Another thing I've been doing lately is eating oatmeal "cookies" instead of breakfast oatmeal. I can share the recipe if you want, but there's no eggs/butter/flour in them and I use peanut butter flour instead of regular peanut butter. Crunchy is much more palatable to mushy for me.
  • emfilomena
    Options
    You can put virtually anything in oatmeal! Lately, I've been putting pumpkin puree into my maple and brown sugar oatmeal, with a little cinnamon- tastes delicious and very filling. People add nuts, fresh fruit, dried fruit, spices, sweetener, chocolate chips, granola, etc- anything! Be creative, or even use the search toolbar for recipes- I'm sure you'll find plenty. : )
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    Way back when I just started eating oatmeal I hated it plain (now I eat it plain) I would slice up a banana in it and it tasted amazing! If you like blueberries Quaker makes a delicous kind called blueberry muffin I think... It's awsome! I eat just plain old weight control maple and brown sugar now.
  • wildkatt7
    wildkatt7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    if you don't like it don't eat it... find other things good for your heart. I know almonds are good for me, but I cannot stand them unless in stuff... I tried eating them for a while, but realized eating something I don't like just because it is good for me isn't good for me either... of course I do like oatmeal, plain with butter and a bit of salt.
  • chezmama
    chezmama Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Blueberries freeze very easily. I like to keep a bag of frozen blueberries in the freezer. Then when I make oatmeal, I throw a handful of frozen berries in before I cook it. The berries cook with the oatmeal and it makes it mighty tasty (I am normally not an oatmeal fan, either).
  • Jenatello
    Jenatello Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I hated oatmeal for a very long time. A long story about how my father forced me to sit at the table and eat it. Even kept me home from school. Outrageous.

Anyhoo. I LOVE oatmeal now. Sometimes it becomes more than one meal a day.

I don't like the little packets of oatmeal. I buy the plain stuff and add whatever I feel like to it. Usually it's 1/2 tsp butter, 1 tsp brown sugar, and 1/4 cup skim milk to 1 serving of oatmeal.

But I have a toddler and he comes up with the craziest stuff to put in oatmeal. I've had pb&j oatmeal (so much better than I thought it would be) which was 1 serving of oatmeal with 1 tsp sugar free jam (I think I had blackberry) and 1 tsp peanut butter with a small splash of milk.

Honey and walnuts with a little bit of vanilla soy milk is yummy as well. We did 'ice cream sunday oatmeal' once. It was okay. 1 serving oatmeal with 1 tsp caramel sauce 2 tbs whipped cream, chopped nuts and a cherry on top. I wasn't a fan of the caramel in my oatmeal, but it was still good.

Honestly, just look around your kitchen, get creative. The worst that can happen is you won't like it.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I have read so much about how good oatmeal is for your heart, your weight, etc. I WANT to like it!! Does anyone have any tips or tricks to make it better? I don't mind the smell, but I think it's more of a texture thing....... How do you take yours???? :indifferent:

I am biased, as i LOVE oatmeal, but this is how I take mine: I use instant plain oatmeal (1 cup, dry), toss in fruit of choice (usually raisins, but it's your choice), 1 tbsp peanut butter, about 2 tsp of honey.

I eyeball the amount of water, so I don't know the measurement for you there, I'm sure you know the amount you like.
  • Jenatello
    Jenatello Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Also mess around with the amount of water you add to it. I make it the way it says on the tube, but I add milk to it to make it runny/soupy.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I hear ya! I hated oatmeal up until maybe a year ago when I tried vanilla flavoured when I was in the states.
    Now I eat it around 3 times a week. I add lotsa different things. Vanilla protein powder, Almonds, Peanut butter, Sometimes yoghurt, Berries, Manukah honey, Soy milk. Heaps of stuff you can do to make it yummy :)
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I used to hate oatmeal, something about the texture of it (I was always a cream of wheat kid) but I grew to like and, and being honest i don't love it...but It is my favorite morning meal and it's one of the few breakfast foods that keeps me satisfied until lunch. My trick is adding anything to it to mask what I don't like. I don't use packages...I use plain rolled oats, then i add cinnamon, berries, bananas, sometimes some peanut butter, honey (not all at once but combinations of the aforementioned) or really anything else that sounds good
  • MaryEffingPoppins
    MaryEffingPoppins Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    COOK 1/2 CUP QUICK OATS IN 1 CUP FAT FREE MILK
    WHEN DONE ADD 2 TBSP PEANUT BUTTER AND 1 TBSP STRAWBERRY OR GRAPE JAM

YOU'LL BE HOOKED!
  • Calipalm
    Calipalm Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    http://runsforcookiesrecipes.blogspot.com/2011/11/oatmeal-love.html

This site has many yummy ideas for oatmeal with pictures!!!

I personally make mine from the Quaker Oats tubs old fashion oatmeal on the stove top and add brown sugar! Sometimes I will add blueberries or strawberries too! :)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Don't eat those nasty mushy rolled oats! Eat the steel-cut kind. Pure heaven! :drinker:
  • MaryEffingPoppins
    MaryEffingPoppins Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Don't eat those nasty mushy rolled oats! Eat the steel-cut kind. Pure heaven! :drinker:

Yea, Steel Cut
  • addies_mom
    Options
    I discovered that I really like Steel Cut Oats. The texture is more chewy than mushy! I usually mix in some cinnamon and a little maple syrup. So Yummy!
  • ericalynn104
    ericalynn104 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • bcc112986
    bcc112986 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I like Quaker Apple and Cinnamon. I use water and milk to make it creamy. Sometimes I add honey (allergy benefits)...banana...raisins. You can add eggs whites for protein.
  • yourpalval
    Options
    Dang, both my hubby and I are addicted to it (finally addicted to a good food)...every morning - 1/2 cup old fashioned oatmeal, cook 5 min - top w/ 1 teas br. sugar and a few raisens - occasionally substitute the raisend for fresh fruit (blueberries, blackberries or bananas) .....it stays w/you for at least 4-5 hrs - nummmmers!
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Try "Coach's Oats" if you can find them. They're thicker and have a much better texture than other instant brands. I get them at CostCo and add a dash of milk and brown sugar + fruit and / or nuts. If you can't find those, try steel cut oats. They also have a thicker, heartier texture.