My Rant on the Over/Under!

Options
AllanMisner
AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
I don't know how many times I've seen a diary where the person has eaten like crap all day (candy, cakes, fast food, etc.) Pure crap! But they manage to come in under their calorie count. So the comments from their so called friends are "WTG!", "Good Job!" , etc.

STOP! It wasn't a good day. THEY ATE LIKE CRAP! Call them on it! Sure they kept their calories below 1300. But their only claim to vegetables was their taco for lunch! You aren't helping them by rewarding the behavior. Get past the blurb on the screen and actually look into their diary. It takes time, but they're supposed to be your friend, remember?

And for the bad eater, those so called friends are rewarding poor choices. Drop them like you would an abusive SO. Find friends that will hold you accountable, give you suggestions, and show compassion when you have a bad day or two. Lose the ones that only see the word "under" and think that's the goal. And if you're not sharing your diary with your friends, you're missing one of the best parts of MFP.

Thank you for your attention.

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    let he without sin cast the first stone
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    You mean people actually look at diaries before they comment?
  • HisPathDaily
    HisPathDaily Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Feel better now? :) lol ... I find it funny when people do that to my diary posts (which is why I log usually but rarely post) ... just because I'm under didn't mean I had a good day! :)
  • 30yearssincebikini
    Options
    I feel like everyone on here is an adult (at least most are) and they know what they are eating. They also know that it's bad. They don't need me to call them out on anything.

I say worry about your own diary.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    My thought: Who cares? If they came under their calorie goal than great! Some people start off with learning portion control then slowly making healthier choices. Who are you to say they don't deserve a wtg?

I didn't eat any vegetables today... GASP
  • MistyboBisty
    Options
    I don't like that MFP tells me, after an entry, how much weight I'd lose in 5 weeks if... when I am way under, and it looks much better than when I eat closer to my goal. I think it could be tempting to eat way under to reach that much nicer sounding 5 week goal.
  • arsonsmom
    arsonsmom Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Hey we are recovering food addicts...Be kind we are trying to get this eating thing right...I think its best to start at coming in under my daily calories...Instead of just eating crap all day and getting fatter...But Who am I...Geez Harsh...LOL :heart:
  • marasw
    marasw Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    For me this is a very difficult and emotional battle of will. I eat like crap pretty much every day and on the occasions that I manage to eat under my calories, if someone told me I wasn't doing a good job I would probably be tempted to give up entirely. I know that sounds weak and pathetic, but that's how it is.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I open my diary to friends so they can get ideas from my good days. I don't care to be chastised because I have a bad day. I don't really look back to see if people comment on my diary though, so I suppose I'd never know.
  • Hayesgang
    Options
    Get over yourself!!

If I want to eat chips with my sandwich or have a bag of candy who are you to judge me.

If you only want "clean eaters" don't accept friends that eat "crap" then you don't have to get all uptight about OTHER PEOPLE CHOICES!!!
  • alorick
    alorick Posts: 194
    Options
    I'm totally on the same page. I won't call someone out who I know usually keeps a pretty healthy diary. A bad day here or there is normal and to be expected. If I see one of my friends eating like crap for days in a row, you better believe I'll ask them what the deal is. I'm not going to be a meanie head about it, but I will ask.

I don't normally sugar coat things with my friends in real life and on Facebook, why would I do that here? I'm here to lose weight, be supported, and to SUPPORT people. Support, to me, sometimes means you have to call someone out on their *kitten*. If it means I lose MFP friends, so be it. I actually would like when I have a bad day, even if I'm under my calories, for someone asks why I ate like crap. It means they actually CARE and look at my day instead of assuming I did great because of what some blurb says.

*Edited to add: I don't think I'm self righteous for eating "clean". I just want my MFP friends to succeed. Eating junk all the time will make one crave junk all the time.
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    I had cheese cake and ice cream today and came in under my calorie goal, why you mad tho?
  • D446
    D446 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    If they are under there calorie goal then good on them. Personally I would rather be under my calorie goal and eat kinda crappy then be over it by a lot and have eaten healthy, that's just me.
  • SilverStrychnine
    SilverStrychnine Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I take those comments with a grain of salt, unless they've made a comment that SHOWS they've read my diary (like "Drink more water!" or "Where do you get ___?").

I'd rather be a little over my calorie goal because of veggies, than under because of junk. You might be under calorie, but think of all the fat (for example) that you've put into your body that day.

However, Sunshine 88 has made an excellent point in that at least people are learning portion control. Some people need to take things one step at a time, others can fling themselves full force into weight loss. I'm somewhere in the middle :smile:
  • simplyblessed5
    simplyblessed5 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    all I can say is thank God mine is now pw protected. :ohwell:
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I always wonder about people I see that go way over certain levels like sodium. I basically just wonder if it bothers them or if they're actually keeping track of it. I know I keep track of my protein and if there's a day I'm way under for whatever reason, I feel bad.

And to be truthful, I eat junk sometimes. Occasional hamburger or chinese take-out, but I don't do it every day and I work hard to make up for it. As long as they're losing weight, who cares?
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    LOL! I kinda agree with you on this, but to each his own, I think. People join MFP for different reasons, but you can't deny people have one main goal: to lose weight, lose fat, get smaller, whatever...

Some people think they want to be "more healthy" (to them, meaning being at a certain weight, eating under a certain calorie goal per day), without any regards to what they put in their body. I think the term "being healthy" is used way too loosely. Sure, you might look at a gorgeous supermodel on MFP and think that she's "healthy" because she's thin and meets her calorie goals consistently, but what you might not know if she leaves her diary closed is that her calories consist of vodka, coffee, McDonald's, boxed foods, packaged foods, and just plain ****... she probably can't walk 10 minutes without huffing and puffing, her blood pressure is through the roof, she's already had a heart attack at age 32, LOL!... but she's under her calorie goal, right?

That's why, to each his own. MFP promotes tracking your food intake, not necessarily healthy eating. The home page of MFP states "eat whatever you want".

So yeah, I guess it all comes down to that person's goals. If that person wants to be "healthy" but eats like **** while still staying under their calorie goal, then yes, you're right, maybe you should comment and make them accountable. But if their only goal is to keep their calories in check, then sure! -- Support them, applaud them... they've reached their goal, right?
  • cardiokitten
    cardiokitten Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    This website is for encouragement. I don't come here to get yelled at or people refusing to tell me good job when I'm trying. And If I have a bad day where I go over, I still like the encouragement that it's just one day and I can still get back on track. Telling me that is muuuuch better than commenting, "Hey, you ate 300 calories of chocolate today?! DELETED!"
  • frugalmomsrock
    Options
    I don't know how many times I've seen a diary where the person has eaten like crap all day (candy, cakes, fast food, etc.) Pure crap! But they manage to come in under their calorie count. So the comments from their so called friends are "WTG!", "Good Job!" , etc.

STOP! It wasn't a good day. THEY ATE LIKE CRAP! Call them on it! Sure they kept their calories below 1300. But their only claim to vegetables was their taco for lunch! You aren't helping them by rewarding the behavior. Get past the blurb on the screen and actually look into their diary. It takes time, but they're supposed to be your friend, remember?

And for the bad eater, those so called friends are rewarding poor choices. Drop them like you would an abusive SO. Find friends that will hold you accountable, give you suggestions, and show compassion when you have a bad day or two. Lose the ones that only see the word "under" and think that's the goal. And if you're not sharing your diary with your friends, you're missing one of the best parts of MFP.

Thank you for your attention.

My first thought is "what's it to you how they get their calories?" My second thought is, "big words from a tough guy with a closed diary..."
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options

*Edited to add: I don't think I'm self righteous for eating "clean". I just want my MFP friends to succeed. Eating junk all the time will make one crave junk all the time.

Not true. I eat my fair share of "junk" often. I treat myself daily to something I like. I don't crave and have been losing just fine.