To eat breakfast or not... that is the question?!

Options

Replies

• misslissa121
    Options
    I feel that is one of the big differences for me this time around. I faithfully eat breakfast, nothing major, just a bowl of ceral with almond milk, my multi vitamin, and a big glass of water. Nothing like getting the day off on the right foot. If not I would be in the kitchen constantly looking for something to munch. Instead I have to remind myself to eat lunch, which means I have my brain going in the right direction to find something good, not something that is just there.

I don't eat breakfast right away (I'm always nauseas in the morning when I wake up, been that way since I was pregnant with my twin girls 4 years ago) I eat about 2 hours after I get up. I get up at 4:30 typically, don't eat breakfast till after 6, sometimes 7.
  • lsegatti
    lsegatti Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I would just to add that I am not sure it is the breakfast or not that is question for you. When I looked at what you said you ate for breakfast it sounded way to high in sugar content.( 2 types of dried fruit and brown sugar) If I ate that much sugar in the AM, I would be asleep under a desk by 10 AM. I have to do fiber/grains and protein in the morning to keep me going strong until lunch. Perhaps try some other combinations for a few weeks before tossing in the towel on breakfast! My best breakfast is 1/2 ham sandwich!
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    WOW...scary stuff...

a "certified" nutritionist and then a dietician both giving advice that while not harmful is also not up to date and accurate.

Just reminds us all to take what you read with a grain of salt.

Online courses?

You would be surprised what some professionals are taught depending on where and when they went to school. I've had a general physician, who has several of my relatives as patients, look at my tonsils which were swollen and releasing "tonsil stones" and tell me I would just have to live with it, some people are born with big tonsils. When I got a second opinion within 6 months I had them removed and the doctor that did the surgery stated that when they had been cut free, they exploded and had they been in me it would have been really bad.

Storytime aside, it's always best to get second or even third opinions especially when it comes to your health. Doctors, Nutrionists, Diaticians, etc are all human and thus have their opinions that can sometimes mix with the facts.
  • lelliebugh
    lelliebugh Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    First thing I do is drink 8oz of water to rehydrate myself because 8-10 hours without fluids is not healthy. Then I get ready to go to work. I grab a peanut butter sand on whole wheat, fruit, and a boiled egg and water for breakfast.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    I ate dinner at 8pm last night, then didn't eat again until 3pm today because I just wasn't hungry. If you aren't hungry, there's no reason to eat - meal timing is all about personal preference.
  • Cr357
    Cr357 Posts: 238
    Options
    Without breakfast I turn into a much crankier version of the Hulk! But that's because that is what my body has adapted to. If your adapted to not eating breakfast it makes no difference. All that matters is your total net energy balance with regards to weight loss.
  • chaoticxinsane
    Options
    I only really eat breakfast when I work that day, since I know it'll be about 4 hours or so before I get the chance to again on my first break, and that's TOO long.

Usually I have to be up for a couple hours before I even want to think about food.
  • zeuse
    zeuse Posts: 15
    Options
    Eat Breakfast. End of discussion.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

NO,,,and you can't make me. so there!
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options

What a compelling argument.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options

I'm sorry, did you father everyone in this thread? If you haven't, then you don't get the final say.
  • lauriejayne813
    lauriejayne813 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have never been a breakfast eater either. Not only did it make me uncomfortable, I never made the time. Then, last year a dietitian told me this.....When you wake up in the morning your body wakes up too. It has to have fuel to burn so you have energy. If you don't give it fuel, it feeds on your muscles for fuel which is not good. I now eat something every morning, even if it is just a little bit, and I have more energy. Now, I envision that if I don't eat a little something for breakfast, a lot of little tiny gremlins eating away at my muscles because I didn't feed them lol.
  • Ironyb
    Ironyb Posts: 30
    Options
    Ok so my OPINION is if you don't have any issues due to the lack of eating breakfast, and you feel breakfast doesn't enhance YOUR performance, i don't think it should be a question. if your doctor says you are fine and it's not causing any complications then no you don't need breakfast. I eat breakfast every morning, because it enhances MY mood, gives ME energy, helps ME focus in class, and it holds ME over until i'm done with class to have another meal. Its the same as people who can eat nothing all day and lose weight and claim that it doesn't affect them, or the opposite people who eats everything and it doesn't affect them. Ultimately it depends on you. If you really wanna know the answer get some blood work done when you don't eat breakfast, and when you do eat breakfast.

-By the way has anybody ever realized that even professionals are wrong. Just saying, I'm in school now and I can guarantee you that professionals are humans too.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options

Great argument brochacho
  • suhaRD
    suhaRD Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The reason its called breakfast, is because it indeed, breaks your fasting, whatever time you have your first meal is considered breakfast. You have a lull in energy intake while sleeping, but you still have physiologic functions, for ex. gas exchanges, growth and repair and regulating body temperature- all which require ATP- or energy. When you aren't consuming calories, the body uses the stored glycogen in your liver, when that runs out for prolonged periods of fasting, it takes glycogen from your muscles and fat. This is harmful because prolonged catabolism can lead to increased lactic acid build up. Your body has a pH of 7.4, added acid reduces your pH levels, increasing acid in your blood- this is called ketosis. This type of fuel cannot be used by the brain (because the brain protects itself from toxicity). This is why fasting can make one feel tipsy and groggy.

From what I understand this site is for HEALTHIER lifestyes, not dying to be thinness. I am recommending breakfast one hour within your time of waking up, to start your metabolism and stop the ketosis process. Grabbing something small is fine, just eat something! The point that many are not understanding is that when you eat, you are hungrier because your metabolism needs energy in order to digest the food, this is how you lose weight properly. Hope this helps.
  • suhaRD
    Options
    WOW...scary stuff...

a "certified" nutritionist and then a dietician both giving advice that while not harmful is also not up to date and accurate.

Just reminds us all to take what you read with a grain of salt.

And your background is in...? Please do not mock a profession that you clearly take seriously. You read nutrition information all the time, and chose what suits you. If you feel that breakfast is not for you, simply state that, and don't hate. I spent hours consulting people with diabetes, renal disease, cardic diseases, tube feedings, and of course arrogants who believe their doing everything right- somewhat like yourself and visit me a year later with some health condition. I answered a question, in my professional opinion. I understand the physiology involved and you're scared of me? I am actually scared of you- Giving unfounded advice to those who need help. Respect the profession.
  • suhaRD
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to this, but as a dietitian thought I may shed some light. Thank you for sharing your feelings. Typically the advice for the general public is issued because there is evidence based research that shows some sort of significance in the nutrition statement. The reason that breakfast is touted so much is because it has SOOOOO many benefits. All throughout school junior, high and some of college I had NO breakfast, in fact many days I didn't eat until about 3 pm. I did this for no particular reason, just because. UNTIL I learned about ketosis, metabolism and overall energy and what no food does to your body.

AS health professionals we're not saying scarf down a 600+ calories, in fact the fewer calories, and more nutritiously sound options, the better. A glass of milk and a banana are more than sufficient. Try to eat a complex carb (for the energy you need), a lean protein (to help you stay full) and something with fiber (to help stabilize your blood sugar levels).

The reason you are hungrier throughout the day, is because your body is burning more calories, hence losing more weight. Just like when you turn on a car, gas is being used, making the need to refuel more often-- breakfast turns on your "metabolic engine" Just refuel with lower cal picks- Hope this helps. :)

So you are saying that this so called ” engine” turns off? Please elaborate on this

The reason its called breakfast, is because it indeed, breaks your fasting, whatever time you have your first meal is considered breakfast. You have a lull in energy intake while sleeping, but you still have physiologic functions, for ex. gas exchanges, growth and repair and regulating body temperature- all which require ATP- or energy. When you aren't consuming calories, the body uses the stored glycogen in your liver, when that runs out for prolonged periods of fasting, it takes glycogen from your muscles and fat. This is harmful because prolonged catabolism can lead to increased lactic acid build up. Your body has a pH of 7.4, added acid reduces your pH levels, increasing acid in your blood- this is called ketosis. This type of fuel cannot be used by the brain (because the brain protects itself from toxicity). This is why fasting can make one feel tipsy and groggy.

From what I understand this site is for HEALTHIER lifestyes, not dying to be thinness. I am recommending breakfast one hour within your time of waking up, to start your metabolism and stop the ketosis process. Grabbing something small is fine, just eat something! The point that many are not understanding is that when you eat, you are hungrier because your metabolism needs energy in order to digest the food, this is how you lose weight properly. Hope this helps.
  • zafferFL
    zafferFL Posts: 402
    Options
    Hi, I'm new to this, but as a dietitian thought I may shed some light. Thank you for sharing your feelings. Typically the advice for the general public is issued because there is evidence based research that shows some sort of significance in the nutrition statement. The reason that breakfast is touted so much is because it has SOOOOO many benefits. All throughout school junior, high and some of college I had NO breakfast, in fact many days I didn't eat until about 3 pm. I did this for no particular reason, just because. UNTIL I learned about ketosis, metabolism and overall energy and what no food does to your body.

AS health professionals we're not saying scarf down a 600+ calories, in fact the fewer calories, and more nutritiously sound options, the better. A glass of milk and a banana are more than sufficient. Try to eat a complex carb (for the energy you need), a lean protein (to help you stay full) and something with fiber (to help stabilize your blood sugar levels).

The reason you are hungrier throughout the day, is because your body is burning more calories, hence losing more weight. Just like when you turn on a car, gas is being used, making the need to refuel more often-- breakfast turns on your "metabolic engine" Just refuel with lower cal picks- Hope this helps. :)

So you are saying that this so called ” engine” turns off? Please elaborate on this

thanks for the information, and I think that it all applies on extended fasts. But extending the fast by 4 hours for instance?

My personal experience is that skipping breakfast is fine for me, I do not feel tipsy, groggy, tired, lethargic, cranky or otherwise.

Works for me.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    The reason its called breakfast, is because it indeed, breaks your fasting, whatever time you have your first meal is considered breakfast. You have a lull in energy intake while sleeping, but you still have physiologic functions, for ex. gas exchanges, growth and repair and regulating body temperature- all which require ATP- or energy. When you aren't consuming calories, the body uses the stored glycogen in your liver, when that runs out for prolonged periods of fasting, it takes glycogen from your muscles and fat.

Can you please quantify what time period is required before liver glycogen is used? How long of a fast is required before harmful effects occur.

Also, what about the long term effects. In other words, what sort of compensatory responses are there, if any, when you do finally eat?
    From what I understand this site is for HEALTHIER lifestyes, not dying to be thinness.

I do not eat breakfast. Am I dying thin? Why are you assuming that skipping breakfast has anything at all to do with total daily energy intake since we're not discussing that, we are just discussing meal timing, which is largely irrelevant under somewhat normal eating procedures (intra-day fasting).
    The point that many are not understanding is that when you eat, you are hungrier because your metabolism needs energy in order to digest the food, this is how you lose weight properly. Hope this helps.

Thermic effect of food is not frequency or timing dependent. It still occurs regardless of when you eat.

Finally, while your credentials might be impressive to some, they don't validate your argument.