Personal trainer or not...

Options
13»

Replies

• cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I have been using my PT twice a week for over a year. I initially was just going to use him a few times to get pointers, and instruction on proper use, and technique. I now find him an invaluable source of information, and motivation, on a continuing basis. When I started out it was strictly for weight lifting goals, with no thought of weight loss. Well, after a few months of his nudging that my problem was not my weight lifting techniques, or regimen, but the weight I carried around all day, we formulated a plan that has me 55lbs. lighter, and 100% more healthy. Could I have done this by myself? Absolutely. But it was his guidance that set me on the proper path. Soon, I will begin to put back some of the lost muscle. I know that my PT feels a great sense of pride, having helped transform me. To him; a job well done. I would assume that you could work out a long term situation with a PT, that would be suitable financially. Also, I would suspect if you worked as hard for him/her, as they do for you, those terms may get better as you go.
  • iRebel
    iRebel Posts: 383
    Options
    Personal trainers are just that. Personal Trainers. Not everyone will find them useful for what they are trying to achieve while others will find them to be their biggest difference in success.
    Where I think some are resistant to PT's (I hear it all the time) it's usually because they think they got it down pat and don't need any assistance based on their knowledge. Think of pro athletes. They know their jobs and excel at what they do, so why do they need a coach? Because a coach helps them to excel better than they think they can. Because experience counts.
    As of late I've gotten 6 people who were avid gym goers and in great shape to move to a level of fitness that they've never reached before. Results: one female who was stuck on a 4 month plateau broke it and is down 7lbs she couldn't lose. One male is now running 5 miles further than before gassing out.
    Now I will say it DOES depend on the trainer too. Lots of the newer trainers are all stuck on Functional training and leave out the basics. Squatting on a Bosu Ball isn't the same as squatting HEAVY with feet flat on the floor.
    So many just need to think about where they are at and if they can't do anymore than they've done. At that point a trainer may be the thing they need.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
    Thanks for posting!
  • lucycaz
    lucycaz Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hi

I have been using a personnel trainer for the last 8 months and have recently changed to seeing him twice a week as well as the other exercise I do (running, cycling and swimming) I have lost 101lbs, and am doing a warrior dash in June and a triathlon by the end of the year, things I would never have dreamed of doing I am so much fitter and have most importantly remained injury free...

But here is the crunch...... I started with my trainer at the local gym I joined and the sessions were great then in September due to family circumstances he had to move to the other end of the country and was not sure if and when he would come back so I moved to another trainer and it all went wrong.... I learned that all trainers are not created equal.... the sessions with the new trainer were completely different and not in my opinion anywhere near as good my motivation and confidence took a real knock and I stopped seeing a trainer and stuck to classes and trying to go alone.... within weeks things slipped and I also sustained a nasty rotate cuff injury....

Then in November my original trainer (Ben) came back to London we had stayed in contact and I started to see him privately again and immediately things just slipped into normal mode and off I went again on this long journey....

The difference in the trainers was amazing Ben loves what he does and really cares about his clients, he is never tight with our time and never books clients in for back to back sessions as for him finishing the programme he has planned for the session is the most important thing. He is a functional trainer so we rarely use any machines, focusing on free weights, kettle bells, body weight and core stick only..... In his words why would I want to pay someone to watch me on gym equipment when I could do that on my own....He understands the biomechanics of the body and has really worked to correct all the damage carrying so much weight for so long has caused..... He texts we throughout the week checking on what I am doing and I can text him for advice at any time.... He listens to my issues and woes and I would now call him a friend.....

So my advice would be trainer DEFINIATLY YES - the best investment I could have made

But check out a few to make sure you get what you need remember you are paying for it....

Message me if you have any questions.........
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    i have one mainly to do Kettlebells as my gym only offers 15 mins kettlebell class per week.
    I got a block of sessions for Xmas, works out at £12/hour, so she is totally worth it and ill probably book some more sessions when these run out, she has helped me out loads following my knee injury when I thought I was totally unable to exercise.
    I see her for 1 hour a week (2x half hour at the minute), and the rest of my gym days i do my own thing, but recently I have been sticking to a program she set for me with 'knee friendly' workouts!

it all depends on the trainer and how you get on with them - ive had trial sessions at the gym with other trainers before and never really got into it, but Laura is really nice and knows just how to push me to make me do more than I think i can do :-)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    With all the information out there floating around on the net, I don't know how it would be worth any amount of money to pay for something that you could otherwise get for free.

I guess it all comes down to how much motivation you need to get things done.
    Because watching a squat and doing a squat correctly are 2 different things. I'm more than sure that if I watched you workout, that I could find issues with form and execution. But that may not be worth it to you.

IDEA Fitness member
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    I have had personal trainers for almost a year. For the first 6 months of using pt's I had one twice a week for team training for a kickboxing program, and another two more days a week for regular pt. Based on all the people I see at the gym that think they know what they're doing but don't really, I think a lot more people could benefit from a trainer than actually realize it. I still have a trainer now.... twice a month. Although I am very motivated myself, I enjoy it so I still do it.

As for the cost. for those 6 months when I had two, my gym was getting $700 a month from me - for the gym membership and training. My rent was cheap at the time and I could afford it. It's an investment in myself. I think if you're not willing to invest in yourself (in any way) then you don't value yourself enough. Training is totally worth it, and it takes more than just a session to learn what you need to know.

SW 303.4 (1/1/11)
    CW 198.4 -- lost 105lbs down
    29y/o female, 5'6''
  • iRebel
    iRebel Posts: 383
    Options
    Personal trainers are just that. Personal Trainers. Not everyone will find them useful for what they are trying to achieve while others will find them to be their biggest difference in success.
    Where I think some are resistant to PT's (I hear it all the time) it's usually because they think they got it down pat and don't need any assistance based on their knowledge. Think of pro athletes. They know their jobs and excel at what they do, so why do they need a coach? Because a coach helps them to excel better than they think they can. Because experience counts.
    As of late I've gotten 6 people who were avid gym goers and in great shape to move to a level of fitness that they've never reached before. Results: one female who was stuck on a 4 month plateau broke it and is down 7lbs she couldn't lose. One male is now running 5 miles further than before gassing out.
    Now I will say it DOES depend on the trainer too. Lots of the newer trainers are all stuck on Functional training and leave out the basics. Squatting on a Bosu Ball isn't the same as squatting HEAVY with feet flat on the floor.
    So many just need to think about where they are at and if they can't do anymore than they've done. At that point a trainer may be the thing they need.

IDEA Fitness member
    Thanks for posting!
    [/quote
    oops quoted wrong one... BUMP, then??
  • csuma74
    Options
    You could get EA active sports which is a virtual trainer I love it but you have to be movitated as with any program.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, personal trainers are for those people who have no clue about exercising, are lazy, and/or lack motivation to get fit and healthy. People who don't know what their goals are, who don't want to spend time learning on their own by reading free books (library), free articles written by fitness experts and free fitness programs available online.

I totally disagree with this statement 100% for a few reasons.

1. You can read every single book, mag, article, ect and still not have the feeling of how to use proper technique or how to exactly workout in the gym.
    2. Having someone there often at times pushes people past limits they thought were not there. Some people dont have a "gym buddy" to turn to so a PT is there to fill the spot.
    3. I have been an athlete most of my life (25 years in sports) and am accustomed to the gym and how to work out. I at times hire a PT from time to time to get new ideas from and and to take my body to the next level. You don't need to be an elite athlete to take your body to the next level. Different forms of exercise come out all of the time that PT's are usually up to speed on.
    4. Are PT sessions expensive? Well that depends on your point of view. My point of view is monetarily they can be but I learn something new every time I am on the floor with a PT which in my book is priceless.

I could go on and on but I think that you are categorizing way too much on this one. True there are clients that will just do the minimum on the floor but unless they carry that over to outside the gym and do what the PT suggests the most will be disappointed. Everyone has a right to their opinions though.

Most people think that a PT is the secrete ingredient for GUARANTEED RESULTS, which is FAR from the truth. In fact when I am w/ a PT not only training sessions are more intense but I diet cleaner which at times is difficult for me. You can do every single workout with a PT but unless a client eats right and recovers right results will be slow coming if at all.
  • burg1801
    burg1801 Posts: 124
    Options
    Because watching a squat and doing a squat correctly are 2 different things. I'm more than sure that if I watched you workout, that I could find issues with form and execution. But that may not be worth it to you.

Oh, without a doubt I sure I could get some insight on my training regime. I mean, the information is out there and it's not limited to those who get certified to be a PT; anyone can learn proper form and execution.
  • rockstarginaa
    rockstarginaa Posts: 1,529 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you. I lost all my weight on my own, no help from a personal trainer. That being said, I am looking into getting certified as a trainer to help others that need the guidance.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Oh, without a doubt I sure I could get some insight on my training regime. I mean, the information is out there and it's not limited to those who get certified to be a PT; anyone can learn proper form and execution.
    When I first started lifting (1982) I took Arnold's workout book around with me and copied the exercises as they looked in the pictures. Joined a gym and was there daily and also watched the big guys working out. I copied a lot of their moves and for 6 months did my thing. Thing was I was having some pain in my knees and lower back from squats and deadlifts, as well as elbow pain. Came to find out that my squatting technique was wrong, I was rounding my back on deadlifts and I was extending my arms down too far on preacher curls. Got a guy at the gym to show me how to correctly do it and voila the pains went away. So learning a movement or exercise can be completely done wrong even though the person may think they are doing it correctly.
    All I'm saying is that there isn't a person out there (myself included) that couldn't use insight, motivation or push beyond what they know and good trainers should be able to provide that.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Came to find out that my squatting technique was wrong, I was rounding my back on deadlifts and I was extending my arms down too far on preacher curls. Got a guy at the gym to show me how to correctly do it and voila the pains went away. So learning a movement or exercise can be completely done wrong even though the person may think they are doing it correctly.
    All I'm saying is that there isn't a person out there (myself included) that couldn't use insight, motivation or push beyond what they know and good trainers should be able to provide that.

IDEA Fitness member

Well put. *Two Thumbs Up*
  • Amber86queenbee
    Options
    Completely agree with Danny Boy and ninerbuff.

You need to find out what works for you. I personally love going to personal training and couldn't imagine giving it up. I'm doing two sessions one concentrating on boxing and the other on resistance training. I would never call myself lazy and in fact it's the opposite - I work so hard when I go.

You would need to find someone that suits you - personality does play a part. I need someone that pushes me hard but is nice and I can laugh with. I've worked out with two and it makes a huge difference who you pick. Most in Australia let you try a session or two before you pay.

I find that having someone there with the experience who will push me hard makes me more likely to stick with it and it keeps me focused. But it's no use if you don't play your part in what you are eating and exercising without your trainer.
  • rugbygirlca
    Options
    You basically agreed with the statement you just said you disagree with....(see bolded text above)

I think they are good for letting you know if you are using good form and giving you a general sense of direction and some goals/accountability. Certainly not necessary for results though.

I can't get the quotes to work properly for me today...to early a start today, I guess.

In reference to the above post, please excuse me for not being more clear. I do not think that personal trainers are just for the lazy or for the uber athletes. I think that they are for everyone...at least at some point in your training regime.

There is no doubt that they expensive, but I think that everyone from a newbie, to a reasonably fit individual to an elite athelete, can benefit from a personal trainer.