The Hunger Games

Options

Replies

• d4rkn3ss06
    Options
    Perhaps I am a prude... But I can't not imagine how this movie (book) is so popular when it's based on kids killing kids. It makes me sick every time I see the preview. My best friend insists it's AMAZING and I need to see it with her when it comes out... but no way. Unless all the kid's revolt against the Capitol or something and they all live happily ever after, I'm OK without seeing it :ohwell:

Am I the only one that finds it all so odd? Then again, I threw up after Lord of the Rings *LOL* So... there's your perspective :)

i don't want to spoil it but you will not be disappointed by he end! you shouldnt judge a book by its cover or movie previews! haha :)
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    So I am a baby when it comes to violence, blood or gore. On top of that, I am a mom! So when our book group picked this series- I threw a fit. And then I read them. And I loved them as horrible as that sounds.

But, as I said- I am a baby. I will not be watching the movie.
  • d4rkn3ss06
    Options
    I just finished book one...totally addicting...

oh it just gets better and better!!!! it makes you rethink everything and you cry and get mad and its just awesome!!!!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    So I am a baby when it comes to violence, blood or gore. On top of that, I am a mom! So when our book group picked this series- I threw a fit. And then I read them. And I loved them as horrible as that sounds.

I can relate to you :) I should read them... that way if it is too much for my weak lil' head, I can put it down and grab a beer instead. :drinker: I don't think I should go straight to movie like I did with LOTR just in case *LOL*
  • jenny95662
    jenny95662 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    But I can't not imagine how this movie (book) is so popular when it's based on kids killing kids.

And it was required reading for my son in his 9th grade Pre-AP English class.

But, Catcher in the Rye is banned? *LOL*

catcher in the rye is banned???? i loved that book in high school did a paper on it lol
  • d4rkn3ss06
    Options
    But I can't not imagine how this movie (book) is so popular when it's based on kids killing kids.

a lot of really good books are banned and its due to over reaction and closed minded people. you wont get the concept till you read it but i promise these books are really good and have a lot of really good themes and ideas and stuff :)
  • d4rkn3ss06
    Options
    **shuts eyes and ears** I just started the book so far I love it......but I don't want any spoilers so gonna leave the thread now.......

they are awesome!!!! :D
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Great series. And I've devoured tens of thousands of books. I can't wait to see the movie.

Reading nitty, gritty stories is more interesting to me than fairylands, princesses and unicorns...unless of course....well, I wouldn't want to give anyone nightmares :devil:
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

catcher in the rye is banned???? i loved that book in high school did a paper on it lol

It's absurd that 90% of the books on that list are banned.
  • woou
    woou Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    Give the book a try. :smile:

I'm not into the supposed love triangle that the movie will make bigger than it is in the books, but I can't wait to see the movie for Clove! Isabelle Fuhrman will rock that role considering her performance in "Orphan." :smooched: And then I'll be looking forward to Finnick in part 2. :love: :love:
  • Stephanie2167
    Options
    I'm a mom too and the books are great. But don't read it if you don't want.
  • LHAMON2009
    Options
    I for one am def. going to go and see it. To each his/her own though. If you do not want to be subjected to watching it then don't that is okay too.
  • LuciaLongIsland
    LuciaLongIsland Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I hated the book, but then again I dont like Harry Potter either. Must be an age thing!
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I get the issue some might have with it, but it's FICTION. It's totally fake, not real, made up... If it was required for your kids at school, you have the right as a parent to request other materials.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Don't want to spoil it for anyone but it is more than just about kids killing other children. That's really only one part of the storyline in the first book. The second and third books have nothing to do with that, really.

I loved the first one, and waiting to pick up 2 and 3 when they come out on paperback. Looking forward to it.

Also, it is a fantasy/futuristic type setting, stuff that (we hope) would not actually happen in our real life. That's part of what makes it interesting. As far as the kids killing kids, again, that's something we hope would not happen, now or in the future, but there's no harm in reading about it.

To the OP, you would hate the Song of Fire and Ice series as well.
  • aprilshowers262
    aprilshowers262 Posts: 96 Member
    Options

Then don't watch 'Drive' either. Tons o' blood and gore.
  • shaypearl
    shaypearl Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Ditto, I'm half way through it. I've teared up a little at some parts. I cant wait to see what happens in Section III: 'The Victory' (I think that's what it said)
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    Its not really about kids killing kids - that is a byproduct of the bigger storyline. Its more about government control of population and an exploration of what people have to do to survive and live in this type of society. Its about keeping the man down and about people rising up to say "no, we aren't taking this anymore!"

I can understand why you may not think its good read. You have to get beyond that and see the bigger issues the books are exploring to appreciate them. IMO anyways.
  • Alonnea
    Alonnea Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I definitely think you should really read the series first. It may make what happens in the first movie easier to deal with plus they are great books.
  • kimdoes
    Options
    haha I read all three books within a week. They are absolutely awesome! Your prediction makes me giggle! :laugh: