The Hunger Games

Options

Replies

• juicemoogan
    juicemoogan Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Almost done the 3rd book!

not bad - its a really quick read - as some have said - more geared toward young adults. But its not bad.
  • CrisN99
    CrisN99 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    This book alone(The Hunger Games) is not really that great- but as a series- its awesome. You should read it.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    God, I can't handle a book geared for young adults :) I may try to pull on my big girl panties and try ;-)
  • aprilshowers262
    aprilshowers262 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I think it's an interesting concept. Now if this was a movie about REAL life, I'd have a problem with it. But many people sat through the new Karate Kid movie and that featured a pre-teen getting his *kitten* seriously kicked by a gang. Pretty hard to watch. I think the point of the Hunger Games is to NOT have a world that resorts to children fighting to the death. If they were adults, would you be more ok with it? Really, what's the difference? Death is death.
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    To me, that is partly why we read books and watch movies, to take ourselves to a different place and read about adventures. Would I be in favor of our country suddenly adapting it's own version of the Hunger Games in which kids in real life are chosen to fight to the death? Absolutely not, that's horrifying, but it makes an awesome book. Unless you only stick to PG books and movies, there are a LOT of things that happen that I wouldn't want to experience in real life but when watching and reading we understand that it isn't real.

I loved the books and I am eagerly awaiting the movie!
  • worldhurdler
    worldhurdler Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I think what I appreciate most about the books is that it takes something that our current culture is more-than-slightly-obsessed with (reality television) and spins it to an extreme, therefore forcing us to ask ourselves, "What exactly are we buying into?" The fact that kids are killing each other on live television is absolutely sickening, yet the "government" population eats it up, just like the Colesseum in ancient Rome. It's a good thought experiment that asks us to consider how far will we let entertainment rule our lives?
    Plus, the books are just dang fun ;-D
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I think it's an interesting concept. Now if this was a movie about REAL life, I'd have a problem with it. But many people sat through the new Karate Kid movie and that featured a pre-teen getting his *kitten* seriously kicked by a gang. Pretty hard to watch. I think the point of the Hunger Games is to NOT have a world that resorts to children fighting to the death. If they were adults, would you be more ok with it? Really, what's the difference? Death is death.

Oh, well I think most adults suck... so there's that :bigsmile:

I'm kidding... but anything with kid's is just really hard for me to stomach. Just the way I am.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    God, I can't handle a book geared for young adults :) I may try to pull on my big girl panties and try ;-)

The Book Thief gave me terrible nightmares and I didn't sleep for an entire week trying to read it.

YA doesn't mean it's not intense!

Harry Potter is pretty intense, too, after the third book.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I totally have this book on hold at the library. Almost finished with Pillars of the Earth which I totally enjoy. I might switch to World Without End though so I don't completely forget the plot of the PotE book. Loving it so far!

Love, love, love Pillars of the Earth! World Without End was pretty good....but Pillars is by far one of the best books I've ever read.
  • Lauralovesmfp
    Lauralovesmfp Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I am in the midst of devouring book 3 and they are AWESOME! You should try them (remember Sam I Am and Green Eggs and Ham!) :wink:
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    One of the best books I've ever read. Saw the movie trailer, doesn't look very good. They should have cast big stars rather than unknowns.
  • LoraF83
    Options
    Its not really about kids killing kids - that is a byproduct of the bigger storyline. Its more about government control of population and an exploration of what people have to do to survive and live in this type of society. Its about keeping the man down and about people rising up to say "no, we aren't taking this anymore!"

I can understand why you may not think its good read. You have to get beyond that and see the bigger issues the books are exploring to appreciate them. IMO anyways.

^This! Just finished The Hunger Games, can't wait to start book #2 tonight.
  • Lauralovesmfp
    Lauralovesmfp Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I totally have this book on hold at the library. Almost finished with Pillars of the Earth which I totally enjoy. I might switch to World Without End though so I don't completely forget the plot of the PotE book. Loving it so far!

Love, love, love Pillars of the Earth! World Without End was pretty good....but Pillars is by far one of the best books I've ever read.

OMG so good! I absolutely loved this book and have re-read it 3 times! Did you read Outlander?
  • LoraF83
    Options
    Perhaps I am a prude... But I can't not imagine how this movie (book) is so popular when it's based on kids killing kids. It makes me sick every time I see the preview. My best friend insists it's AMAZING and I need to see it with her when it comes out... but no way. Unless all the kid's revolt against the Capitol or something and they all live happily ever after, I'm OK without seeing it :ohwell:

Am I the only one that finds it all so odd? Then again, I threw up after Lord of the Rings *LOL* So... there's your perspective :)

Hmm....I probably shouldn't suggest that you read the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series then :)
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    One of the best books I've ever read. Saw the movie trailer, doesn't look very good. They should have cast big stars rather than unknowns.

Really? I'm looking forward to that part I guess. I could have gone for a different Peta but its not my choice lol.
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options

Thatta girl! You won't be sorry!
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    I think what I appreciate most about the books is that it takes something that our current culture is more-than-slightly-obsessed with (reality television) and spins it to an extreme, therefore forcing us to ask ourselves, "What exactly are we buying into?" The fact that kids are killing each other on live television is absolutely sickening, yet the "government" population eats it up, just like the Colesseum in ancient Rome. It's a good thought experiment that asks us to consider how far will we let entertainment rule our lives?
    Plus, the books are just dang fun ;-D

This too!!
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Perhaps I am a prude... But I can't not imagine how this movie (book) is so popular when it's based on kids killing kids. It makes me sick every time I see the preview. My best friend insists it's AMAZING and I need to see it with her when it comes out... but no way. Unless all the kid's revolt against the Capitol or something and they all live happily ever after, I'm OK without seeing it :ohwell:

Am I the only one that finds it all so odd? Then again, I threw up after Lord of the Rings *LOL* So... there's your perspective :)

Hmm....I probably shouldn't suggest that you read the "A Song of Ice and Fire" series then :)

I also love "A Song of Ice and Fire" series. So good! But I've learned not to get attached to characters in that series...
  • wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    i don't want to spoil it but you will not be disappointed by he end! you shouldnt judge a book by its cover or movie previews! haha :)

Better to judge the movie after you read the books. I am a 58 year old man, and my daughter got me hooked on the trilogy...much deeper than the movie trailer indicates.
  • LoraF83
    Options

I also love "A Song of Ice and Fire" series. So good! But I've learned not to get attached to characters in that series...

Haha! Definitely no attachments........and the bad guys never seem to die. Totally not fair! I'm going to hate waiting another year or two for book #6 :(