The Hunger Games

Options

Replies

• odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    My wife is middle school librarian and had me read all 3 since the kids were so nuts over them. The books don't glorify the killing of the kids in any way, the kids/people in the books are just coping with the situation they are in. The author doesn't go out of her way to add lots of gory details. We read an interview where the author talked about how her father was in the military and always talked to her about how awful war was and that is the message she is trying to get across to people in her books. It might not seem obvious in the first or second book but those ideals are much clearer in the 3rd book. I don't like horror movies but these books are awesome and I can't wait to see the movie(s).

Really good synopsis for me, thanks :)
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I get your point. When I first heard about the book I thought it was some odd thing I would hate and ignored it. The whole premise sounded horrible. But after some friends raved about it, I downloaded the sample and was hooked.

Forget what it looks or sounds like..... the real story is the characters. It's a story about love, a story about underdogs, a story about rebellion as well as a fight for your life. You can't put the books down. You are so drawn into these characters lives that you have to keep reading and you want to know what happens. Sure it's a fantasy world in the far off future with this horrible game where children fight to the death. But that isn't why I read the books and not why I liked the books.

this kind of book is not normal for me either............. I didn't read Harry Potter or Twilight etc. I don't do fantasy or sci fi. But I liked the series and I have a couple of friends who don't read this kind of stuff either and they loved them too.
  • JoJoDoerr
    JoJoDoerr Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Normally I would have never picked a book like this for myself. (seriously, I read a lot of memoirs, biographies, etc.) After a friend of mine (a retired school teacher) suggested I read it..I read them all! It is almost impossible to explain it to someone as any explanation sounds ridiculous...all I tell people is just get an open mind and read the books. Once you are just a few chapters in you are sucked in and can't wait to read what happens next. They are awesome books! I am hoping the movie is as good as the book but not holding my breath as I know the books are almost always better!
  • Training2Tri
    Training2Tri Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I can't wait for the movie!! The first one was awesome!!
  • aprilshowers262
    aprilshowers262 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great idea. It's highlighting children in violent scenarios. More and more do we see this in real life. Take Ohio's latest incident, for instance. Children are becoming more violent. Maybe it's books like this that will help us to open our eyes.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    My question is how do you judge something you haven't actually read?

:huh:

Ditto. If you have not read the series but only know the gist of the plot (barely), please do not judge it. Yes, it's about kids killing kids, but it's about much more than that. If you had read the series, you would know.
    My absolute biggest pet peeve is people (especially parents) taking a stand on books that they think are inappropriate when they have not read the books themselves.

I didn't take a stand. I said I didn't get it - some people actually explained. It was lovely when they did. Did you see where that happened?? Did ya? Just checkin...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I just used to be against twilight until i ended up reading the books and they were so addictive. I might read these too just to see whether or not they are as crappy as the movie sounds :D The Twilight movies suck by the way. But the books are plain awesomeness.

I'm still against Twilight on the principle that Stephanie Meyer is a lousy writer. The content doesn't bother me. :-)
  • megteg
    megteg Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    1328770747609_8526924.png
  • catfish9
    catfish9 Posts: 138
    Options
    And then I'll be looking forward to Finnick in part 2. :love: :love:

^^^ THIS! Finnick is one of my favorite characters!

These books are excellent! It's hard to explain why they're so good without ruining important parts of the plot, though. Even if you don't like the first one, try the second; the style and mood of the story changes drastically.

I am so excited to see how they translate Hunger Games into a movie. I'm not thrilled with some of the casting choices (mainly Gale, Peeta, and President Snow) but some of the others are just how I had imagined them. It always makes me happy when they turn a book into a movie, because it will inspire people who haven't read the book to do so, and reading is awesome. :)
  • craziedazie
    craziedazie Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    My first reaction was the same as yours. I am currently studying to be a teacher and some of my classmates (who are already teachers) talked about having their 8th/9th graders read it. I was completely thrown off by the thought of children reading about children killing children, but they had a lot of reasons why they wanted the kids to read this series. I haven't read the books and I still don't know if I want to. Definitely won't be seeing the movie.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    My question is how do you judge something you haven't actually read?

:huh:

Ditto. If you have not read the series but only know the gist of the plot (barely), please do not judge it. Yes, it's about kids killing kids, but it's about much more than that. If you had read the series, you would know.
    My absolute biggest pet peeve is people (especially parents) taking a stand on books that they think are inappropriate when they have not read the books themselves.

I didn't see Odus say anywhere that she didn't think kids should be allowed to read the books. She said she didn't understand why they were popular and that SHE didn't want to read them. That's a far cry from asking for them to be banned in schools.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

YES!!!

Also, PLEASE google "Lana del Rey's Hunger Games" if you've heard her song "Video Games" and are a HG fan, you will just about die laughing listening to the re-mix.
  • odusgolp
    Options
    I'd also love to see how many people saw a preview for "Friends With Benefits" and rolled their eyes *LOL* I see this preview and question the appeal.

Different strokes for different folks.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    But I can't not imagine how this movie (book) is so popular when it's based on kids killing kids. It makes me sick every time I see the preview.

But that's exactly why you should read it. Your visceral reaction to kids killing kids is actually more in line on what the series is about as opposed to the actual killing part.

I'm geeking out on the movie. Have yall seen the nail polish tie in? Dying!
  • odusgolp
    Options

BWAH!
  • snowbab
    snowbab Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I personally love this series!!! I cried so much during it though :'( It's more than just killing though it brings up some thought-provoking thoughtsw about society/morals/the future etc...

I'm in the UK and NO-ONE seems to know about it! As soon a the film comes out I bet it will be talked about everywhere though :D I just hope people bother to read the books not just watch the films (like Harry Potter..grr)
  • perdie7
    perdie7 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I've read all three and loved them.

And as a side note, if you like hunger games, check out this series:

Gone by Michael Grant.....In the blink of an eye. Everyone disappears. GONE.

Except for the young. Teens. Middle schoolers. Toddlers. But not one single adult. No teachers, no cops, no doctors, no parents. Just as suddenly, there are no phones, no internet, no television. No way to get help. And no way to figure out what's happened.

Hunger threatens. Bullies rule. A sinister creature lurks. Animals are mutating. And the teens themselves are changing, developing new talents—unimaginable, dangerous, deadly powers—that grow stronger by the day.

It's a terrifying new world. Sides are being chosen, a fight is shaping up. Townies against rich kids. Bullies against the weak. Powerful against powerless. And time is running out: On your birthday, you disappear just like everyone else..
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

OMG! That's great!! LOL
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Options
    My first reaction was the same as yours. I am currently studying to be a teacher and some of my classmates (who are already teachers) talked about having their 8th/9th graders read it. I was completely thrown off by the thought of children reading about children killing children, but they had a lot of reasons why they wanted the kids to read this series. I haven't read the books and I still don't know if I want to. Definitely won't be seeing the movie.

Goind kind of off subject here - I guess to me it comes down to teaching kids about what could be and what was. Its like not teaching kids about the holocaust (not saying this happens) or the wars or history...so it doesn't repeat itself. These books put issues that could arise and in some ways have already into a context for kids to understand and relate to. And for adults too.
  • mommaski4
    mommaski4 Posts: 305 Member
    Options

Oh my gosh! Me too! My new motivation to work out!