The Hunger Games

Options

Replies

• suespottsfletcher
    Options
    i was told to read it. I said I will hate it, but tried it. Stayed up til 2-3 in the morning just to keep reading. I do not want to see the movie the books were too good:}
  • skinnieminniemouse
    Options
    it doesn't support the fact that they kill each other. Everybody is against it infact. It is an amazing book, I think you should read it, I will 100% be there to watch the movie because it is my most favourite book
  • classycouture
    classycouture Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    1328770747609_8526924.png

Hahahah, yes!
  • shinypinkpolish
    Options
    This book is one of the best written books I have read in a while. I've spent countless hours of my life convincing people to look past the "kids killing kids" and read this book. Usually it doesn't take long because everyone wants to see what it's all about anyway. The story goes well beyond that and it's supposed to disgust you.

Dystopian fiction is futuristic, and it gives you a glimpse of a horrible world that an author creates and could possible happen, although very unlikely. You would really need to read it to understand, but in no way is the "kids killing kids" looked at as a good thing by the characters, and as far as the kids revolting......again just read it before you judge it lol
  • Nanadena
    Nanadena Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    It is more than just about kids killing kids.

Loved loved loved the book and I can't wait for the movie. I get chills when I see the previews.

My 14 year old and I love love love this series. We started reading it over two years ago, and have re-read them. She belongs to a Book and movie club at school and they are going to the premier, which is a really big deal in our little towns!:love::love: :love:
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Yes but see, isn't that the point? The idea of kids killing kids is disturbing to any decent person. The Hunger Games is not popular because people WANT to read about something like that. The fact is that survival is at a new level in this world and the reasons for that are clear throughout the entire book! Arg...I can't explain it fully the way I want to because I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't read the books yet. You have to read and understand WHY the kids are killing eachother. Read the whole trilogy!!
  • dtiff
    dtiff Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Amazing books!!
  • JaySpice
    JaySpice Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Never read the books, but looking forward to the movie. Looks interesting.

But one of my favorite movies is Battle Royale. /shrug

OMG Battle Royale is the bees knees!!!
  • may62108
    Options
    It may sound morbid and awful but it is a powerful triology... filled with trajedy and triumph... (pretty sure I didn't spell trajedy right but go with it.. lol )
  • JaySpice
    JaySpice Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    My question is how do you judge something you haven't actually read?

:huh:

I just did! See? It's easy to judge anything I want *LOL* I'm not saying it's a horrible series or bad movie and it should be banned immediately! :) I'm saying I don't get the concept or how it managed to become so popular... but i have a week stomach.

Well, I don't get Twilight either....

I agree about Twilight. Gag me why don'tcha
  • loula28
    Options
    I am on the second book now and I LOVE IT!! It just keeps me wanting more!! I can't wait until the movie comes out and I think you might like it if you actually start reading it. :wink:
  • suespottsfletcher
    Options
    1328770747609_8526924.png

BWAH!
  • librislady
    librislady Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    But I can't not imagine how this movie (book) is so popular when it's based on kids killing kids.

Do kids still have to read Lord of the Flies? Unsavory little hellions in there, too! ;) I read The Hunger Games trilogy and really enjoyed it - it's a great series and I love having such a strong female leading character!
  • BrittanyH8588
    BrittanyH8588 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I am on the third book and I suggest them to everyone I was very weary about them at first but I read the first and second one in a week and now am taking my time with the third one because I am one of those readers who get so emotionally attached to the characters that I get so distraught over them I have to put the book down for a little while. there is a lot more to the story then kids killing kids the books were beautifully written I have tickets to the mid night premiere and cannot wait to see the movie ... don't judge a book by it's cover or what you have heard make your own decision:)

TEAM PEETA
  • w8sarge
    w8sarge Posts: 3,850 Member
    Options
    The Hunger Games is "based on kids killing kids" like Fahrenheit 451 is all for burning books.
  • Zsquared
    Options
    The message is powerful, the books are well written and they make you think, I couldn't put them down!
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

I just did! See? It's easy to judge anything I want *LOL* I'm not saying it's a horrible series or bad movie and it should be banned immediately! :) I'm saying I don't get the concept or how it managed to become so popular... but i have a week stomach.

Well, I don't get Twilight either....

Light up the fires. I feel some book burnin' coming on....
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I'm just waiting for everyone to finish the 3rd book and see what kind of posts there are about that! I read some reviews for Mockingjay and people were so pissed! For those one their way to Mockingjay, do not expect a fairytale! My experience in reading it was an emotional rollercoaster! Haha. It is a dark and REALISTIC depiction of what happens to the people involved in a war. You will love it!
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Its no worse than other books out there. I loved the series and can't wait for the movie!! I have them on my Nook and they are Lend Me books so you can borrow them for free instead of paying nearly $8 per book. :)
    I'm just waiting for everyone to finish the 3rd book and see what kind of posts there are about that! I read some reviews for Mockingjay and people were so pissed! For those one their way to Mockingjay, do not expect a fairytale! My experience in reading it was an emotional rollercoaster! Haha. It is a dark and REALISTIC depiction of what happens to the people involved in a war. You will love it!
    It is pretty gritty and dark. I hated parts of it and loved other parts. She wound up with who I wanted her to be with, but not much fanfare to it. I heard they were planning on 4 movies, cause they wanna split The Mockingjay into two movies.
  • HeelsAndBoxingGloves
    Options

this. and I'm not going to provide spoilers but this is an instance of you can't judge a book by it's cover and sometimes not even by it's short description.