Options

Replies

• Brittany39down
    Options
    My goal weight will get me into the "healthy range"
  • liog
    liog Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    My goal weight right now is 150. It seemed like a good number. My ultimate goal is about 130-140 I think. That is about what I was when I got married in 2006.
  • SiobhanDelaney
    SiobhanDelaney Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    BMI and i heard a doctor recommending someone of 5'2 to be 58kg! That's it.
  • Laurenazz
    Options
    i'm with you on the 110! it was the weight i was in highschool & college. when i had a cute body & wasn't afraid of dressing rooms.
  • lumina0o0
    lumina0o0 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I picked top of my bmi, since having a large chest and butt since puberty, once I get down to there I'll figure out if I want to lose more.
  • bcampbell54
    bcampbell54 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I chose 165, because 1 + 7 + 5=13, and 3 + 1=4
    4 is my lucky number.
  • mlang1955
    mlang1955 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is what I weighed when I was 35 and I remember feeling good at that weight. I am also very happy with pictures of me at that weight. Next, I decided to check out some charts and calculator to see where that weight put me.

See these websites:
    http://www.builtlean.com/2010/08/03/ideal-body-fat-percentage-chart/
    http://www.fitnessforweightloss.com/fitness-calculators/
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    My number is what I used to weigh and I was relatively happy with it. However wouldn't mind being a little slimmer, but want to be as slim as I was before. But I also want to be more toned than I was, so I am realistic I may end up weighing more than that, thats ok as long as i'm happy when I look in the mirror, so the 42kg is something to aim for for me rather than something to stick 100% to.
  • sfh0wrd
    Options
    It's been a gradual thing for me.

HW: 198lbs--- freaked out, started running and watching what I ate, got down to 175 without setting a goal.
    College weight: 180lbs--- finally decided to step up the exercise and thought I'd be thrilled to get to 160lbs.
    @ 160lbs: the weight kept coming off, and I finally felt "unfat" at 150lbs.

CW: 145.5lbs. I've decided that based on my current weight, if I manage to get my fitness level to where I want it (running 3-5 miles a few times a week, lots of yoga, some strength training), and eat well 80% of the time, my weight will probably settle between 135 and 140lbs. Plus, this is what my mom said she weighed during college when she ran and did construction work during the summers. Haha.

So, my GW is 135lbs, but I am not married to that number.
  • imkegoal
    imkegoal Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I set 3 goals; my first one was 2 pounds less than my weight at my lowest 3 years ago. I passed this goal last week.

My second one in only 6 pound less and is the one I used for MFP, was the same weight as what I was when I got married before I had my daughter and stopped smoking- I think I looked nice on pictures back then, so feel confortable with that weight. I am now less than 5 pounds off that goal

The third one is my healthy BMI (at 24.8)- another 8 pounds less than my second goal.

I didn't want to set that goal straight away as I didn't want to feel discouraged by it being too far off. I now can celebrate little achievements along the way. I aim to reach my second goal by end of April, and haven't set a date for the 'ultimate goal' yet. I prefer to do it in stages to keep up motivation. I did this last year as well and have now lost 30 pounds since early last year- 17 of which this year, so it works slowely but surely.
  • Anoetos65
    Options
    My goal weight is the weight at which my blood pressure, stressed heart rate and breathing are optimal for my age as near as I can tell and at which I know I won't have a sick muffin top.
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is to be a healthy BMI, and the weight that I was at 18-20 years old
  • nobirdsinmysalad
    Options
    I find it very interesting how few people mentioned discussing their weight (whether it be start, current, or goal) with their doctor. I also find it interesting how many people (not just on this thread, but in general... in life!) want to be their "high school weight" again. Isn't high school a rather awkward time for our bodies anyway? I for one don't particularly care to be the weight I was when I was going through puberty. My body has filled out and changed a lot since then because I don't have the same eating habits, I'm not doing the same activities, and shockingly... I'm not 17 anymore.

My goal weight is set at a weight I know I feel comfortable at. I know I am capable of doing the activities I like to do and also look good and most importantly, FEEL GOOD at that weight. I'm trying to make this journey less about the actual goal weight and more about how it feels to be able to run a mile without stopping, eating healthy meals, and caught in the gain/lose pattern.
  • nobirdsinmysalad
    Options
    I want my driver's license to stop lying!!

:) This cracked me up!
  • MenaMena
    MenaMena Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I went to http://www.mybodygallery.com/ at the suggestion of someone on this site and looked at photos of women the same height. and body shape and made a decision. It is lower than what the doctor recommended.
  • athensguy
    Options
    It dawned on me today that I didn't really give much thought about deciding my goal weight. I don't want to change it, but I am curious what drew you to your number? :smile:

I got a Bod Pod test. I decided I wanted to get below 12% body fat, and 10% seemed like a nice round number. I set my goal weight to my then weight minus the amount of fat mass I should lose to get to about 10%.
  • sandra80
    sandra80 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I chose my goal weight because when I get down to it I will be in the "healthy" body mass index range...

me too
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I picked my number based on my height and the recommendations listed. However, last week my doctor informed me that he thought my goal was 25 lbs. too low. He didn't think I could get to 150 lbs. So I will have to prove him wrong.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    My cardiologist came up with the number (long story, no ticker problems), it's about 5 lbs above what the BMI charts say my ideal weight would be.
  • lmbame905
    lmbame905 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I orignally picked a number that sounded good. Looked good. Wasn't too close to the high end of healthy, but seemingly doable.
    I have rethought my goal weight thanks to a couple of calculations I've done, and I think I'm closer to my goal than I thought! I'm also in a "healthy" range of Body Fat percentage, which I NEVER would've guessed. :) Thanks for making me feel like a success today!