Do u take ur shoes off before entering someone's home :-?

Options

Replies

• love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Only at one friend's house, and we leave slippers there to change into. I don't have carpet, and I don't want sweaty or greasy bare feet footprints on my laminate floors. I prefer that guests wear shoes in my home.
  • lisakyle_11
    lisakyle_11 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    yep!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I just can't wrap my head around wearing your shoes in the house. I see it on television, and I think...how unrealistic that they walk around the house with shoes on. Here, even at parties, the shoes come off.
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,868 Member
    Options
    I do if asked. I don't require it since my floors are all hardwood. Just a note of contention, house shoes or slippers should be worn especially if your home is carpeted. The body oils from your feet that have been absorbed by your socks is transferred to the carpet fibers. This will actually make your carpets dirtier than if you just left your shoes on, unless they are dirty from the streets of course. This I learned from a guy that knows carpeting and cleaning. Kind of makes sense, I like the idea of house shoes.

Interesting! I almost always put on my slippers first thing when I come home. I don't like wearing dirty shoes in the house. However, I never ask people that are visiting to remove their shoes. It's something that I am always aware of.

I don't take off my shoes in other people's homes when they don't worry about doing it themselves.
  • colorfulcupcakes
    colorfulcupcakes Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    No one has mentioned Canada yet? In Canada is polite to take your shoes off inside someone's home. When I moved to the States I learned that people generally don't do that (esp California!) and some even think it's rude to take your shoes off! So now when I go to a new person's home I sort of get "stuck" at the door, wondering what to do... I just try to copy whatever they did.
  • kevin3344
    kevin3344 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I always take mine off and request it if someone comes to my house. I recently had a party with 100+ people and my floors are in much better condition because of it....I have hardwoods down/carpet up. I've had at least 10 house parties and I've never had a problem.

I also think it's a northern thing, too...people don't expect it as much in the south because there's no snow...in NY you pretty much had to leave your shoes/boots at the door.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I always take mine off and considering I just spent quite a bit of money on new carpet for my home, I would hope someone would respect my wishes to have them take off their shoes too.

I guess I'm just grossed out by the thought of walking through a store, parking lot, etc and then walking across the floors in my home with those same shoes on.

*gag*
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I find it soooo annoying when people require shoe removal. It's a pain in the *kitten* and can be uncomfortable and can ruin the look of an outfit. I would never ever have this rule for my own house. Of course I oblige people who request it as I am not rude, but man, it feels like such an imposition. Big pet peeve.

As a matter of fact I avoid going to "no shoes" houses when I can. Just find it so annoying.

Seriously? Ruins an outfit?

What about the fact that flooring isn't cheap and you wearing your dirty shoes all over is ruining THEIR flooring? I would be appalled if someone came into my home and balked at taking their dirty shoes off. I just had brand new carpet installed in my home and I would be ticked off if someone truly thought I would be okay with them walking around with their shoes on or asked to keep them on so it wouldn't "ruin an outfit". Even my dogs know they have to wait on the tile until their feet have been wiped before they can walk on the carpet. Call me weird. Call me obsessive, but I have over $1000 worth of new flooring in my home. I don't want it ruined and really? I don't give a crap if my asking you to remove your shoes "ruins your outfit".

Good heavens.
  • riskiestlavonn
    riskiestlavonn Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I do, BUT I can't get my wood floor clean no matter how much I wash it (no idea why) so I don't ask other people to take them off when then enter.
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    I always take mine off and considering I just spent quite a bit of money on new carpet for my home, I would hope someone would respect my wishes to have them take off their shoes too.

I guess I'm just grossed out by the thought of walking through a store, parking lot, etc and then walking across the floors in my home with those same shoes on.

*gag*

I grew up on a farm.....yeah.....very gross to wear the shoes inside!!
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Where I live (Hawaii) it is customary to remove your shoes before entering a home :flowerforyou:
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I always take my shoes off, even if people say not to worry! It could be that it is a cultural thing in New Zealand, or that mostly we wear jandals so it isn't hard to take them off!!
  • Kougra
    Kougra Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I take mine off at home and when I go to other peoples homes. I was raised that way because I have a Japanese mother and she always made us take our shoes off. =^_^=
  • aphoru
    aphoru Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Most of the time but that is because I find shoes annoying. Lol! I wear them when I need to.
  • batalina
    batalina Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i wear my shoes in my house... i wipe them on the rug inside the front door, and then i figure they're good enough (though if i was just trudging through puddles or snow, i might take them off at the door!).
    if i'm at someone else's house, i go by their rules. if i see a pile of everyone's shoes and everyone's barefoot or in stockingfeet, i just presume, and go ahead and take them off. if it's my first time at their house and i'm not sure, i ask.
    my best friend recently moved out of her parents' house, and she doesn't have a no-shoes rule at her place, but i find myself removing mine anyway because her folks requested it at their house, lol! force of habit!
  • HorrorChix89
    HorrorChix89 Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    No house I've ever been in has this rule and I don't see a need to. Then again I live in a state who's biggest college football is named after a large pig so we have no culture or manners :laugh:

Plus I fear feet, literally hate them. Just the thought of someone walking around without shoes on freaks me out
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Shoes off inside - Personally I can't wait to take my shoes off the moment I walk in the door, and if you have shoes at the front door most of my visitors catch the hint - but then most of my friends are "shoe free inside" as well....

I don't actually ask people to remove their shoes in my house - and occasionally someone won't - which is OK...

When I visit someone elses house I follow their direction - and as I say I prefer barefoot, so very happy to take my shoes off....

In winter I will actually keep a nice pair of woolen socks in my bag that I can slip on when I am at someone elses house (most homes here in NZ does not have central heating....)
  • wackedoutpet13
    wackedoutpet13 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yes, I always take them off unless the floor looks too dirty or it's a party where I see everyone else has their shoes on. When I have people over, I ask them to take their shoes off. No need to get the floor all dirty for nothing.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I thought they only kept shoes on indoors on tv.

I wear my workout shoes inside , that's about it.
  • HeidiRene
    HeidiRene Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    So funny I am the minority on this thread - maybe the title attracted more pro shoe removers??- b/c I have llived in 6 different states and been rather social visiting many people's homes and it is the very rare house where I have been asked to remove shoes.

As for the rude poster that attacked me in her post for not enjoying being at a party iin a cute outfit only to have to ruin my outfit by removing my sexy heels or knee high boots - maybe I am just a bit more fashionable and trendy than you. Mainly, I don't understand why you couldn't just share your differing opinion without being a big B*#%H. That wasn't necessary.

Anyway, people are different and that's what makes the world go round. I still will always have a house where people can keep their shoes on (and unlike others I totally don;t care if people do want to take them off) and I will continue to be nice and respectful and remove for people that want it. Even though I hate it.