Do u take ur shoes off before entering someone's home :-?

Options

Replies

• TinaLTaylor79
    TinaLTaylor79 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Of course i do!!! Who wants someone trucking around inside their home with shoes that have been walking around on the dirty ground outside?! Its common Courtesy in my opinion.
  • zoodalia
    zoodalia Posts: 294
    Options
    Of course, I find it so rude when people don't!
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I always ask and then abide by there wishes. The rule in my house is OFF with your shoes.
  • stitchinggirl
    Options
    Absolutely!

It better be done when walking in my house too.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    I think it is rude to expect a guest to take off their shoes. And I do not, i have left a persons house due to that being asked.
  • FaithandFitness
    FaithandFitness Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I do whatever seems normal in that particular house. IF everyone is running around barefoot, well, then I will, too! And if everyone is wearing shoes, I will do that too. At home, we wear no shoes, but I always let people know I dont care either way, we just like being without shoes better :D

This, except now with my plantar faciitis I have to wear shoes in my house virtually all the time. Also, if I am somewhere that I know it is customary to take shoes off I do with no problem. My brother's house is a shoe free zone. It killed my foot the week that I was there, but I did it anyways.
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    This was not our custom when I grew up, we just did whatever was comfortable in the house - sometimes we had our shoes on, sometime slippers or socks, sometime barefoot. Now when I get home from work, I can't wait to take my shoes off! But usually put slippers or socks on, flip-flops in the summer. Tile floors are not comfy to walk or stand on!

About 15 years ago I went to the home of a friend from church and it was the first time I encountered a "no shoes on" rule in someone's home! They had a bench and basket of nice clean white socks in all sizes, so you could sit and remove your shoes and put socks on. They had pristine white carpets! BUT the oddest thing was they were hosting a BBQ - people were going in and out, what were we supposed to do, keep putting shoes on & off?? Awkward.....
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't ask anyone to do so and if they ask me if I want them to, I tell them it's totally up to them. But I keep a basket near my door for the household to put shoes in or else they'd clutter the living room. People see that and assume I want them to take off their shoes!

I usually take mine off when I'm inside anywhere (even work while sitting at my desk) because I simply hate wearing shoes.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Apt, flat, house, four walls,... Home is a home.

Do you take ur shoes off before entering someones home and do u ask others to do so?

I remove my footwear before entering my flat, anyone who comes by obliges me, tho i dont take my sneakers/sandals off if the person having me over obviously has no regard for this preference,...or the floor is too dirty :S

I do not ask people to remove their shoes before coming into my home.

If somebody asks me to remove my shoes before going into their home, I tell them to sod off and run in before they can catch me.

Only kidding :D, if somebody asks me to remove my shoes before entering their home, I will do so, no problem.
  • SkinnieFinnie
    SkinnieFinnie Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    It's an automatic reaction for me to take my shoes off when I walk through the door. Sometimes I don't even realize I'm doing it. I hate wearing shoes & I always have. I only wear shoes when I absolutely have to. Kinda weird?
  • jen52906
    jen52906 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Nope...but then in the part of the country where I live, nobody takes their shoes off when they enter somebody's house. That would actually be considered rude. Too casual...Like they own the house.
  • Chrissieneave
    Chrissieneave Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Yes. I take my shoes off in my own home, I've too nice a carpet to get ruined. I take my shoes off in other peoples houses too..
  • thetiwi1890
    thetiwi1890 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Nope...but then in the part of the country where I live, nobody takes their shoes off when they enter somebody's house.

Same where I live, I don't know anyone who takes off their shoes when they enter their own/someone else's house! Although, I have no problems if someone is comfy enough to take their shoes off in my house or in their own. And if someone's rule was "no shoes" I would definitely take them off!
    I might walk around in my socks/bare feet/slippers in the evenings in my house/my close friends' houses, but usually it's shoes on all the time!
    ETA: I always make sure to clean my shoes on their outside mat though, it's just what happens where I live :)
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I do! However, at my BF;s I stomy aroud his house in heels when getting ready for the night/day trying on different outfits and it drive him insane!!! :wink:
  • cassblue21
    cassblue21 Posts: 207
    Options
    It's an automatic reaction for me to take my shoes off when I walk through the door. Sometimes I don't even realize I'm doing it. I hate wearing shoes & I always have. I only wear shoes when I absolutely have to. Kinda weird?

This is totally me! People think I am crazy when I wear flip flops in the winter time, but I tell them my feet are claustrophobic! HA! And I do think they are. I only wear sneakers when I will be walking a lot of course when I go to the gym. I think of what is on the ground outside where people walk and I ask for people to take their shoes off. If we are having a bunch of people over and they KNOW to take them off then they do, but I don't push it. My FIL is famous for taking his off when he gets into the house after my MIL tells him too btw, but as soon as he gets up from the chair when we all go to leave the house he puts his shoes on AND THEN WALKS TO THE RESTROOM THROUGH THE HOUSE before we head out the door... CRAZY! It drives me insane! But I also clean all my floors when people leave my house if they have shoes on because I am insane like that. But we have hardwoods so its easier for me now. :)
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    If my shoes are dirty I automatically take them off but in general I just ask if they would like me to as I sometimes wonder if they might be just as offended having me wander around in my tights or socks.

I only ask when people come to see me if the weather is bad, shoes are dirty.
  • blv0267
    blv0267 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It depends. I take my shoes off in my home, but don't expect others to do so unless it is wet or muddy out.

When going to someone's home, if there's a pile of shoes near the door....I'll take mine off or ask if they would like me to do so. If the floor is dirty or full of animal hair - I will leave mine on and not ask - and hope they don't ask me to take them off.
  • maria1113
    maria1113 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    BUT the oddest thing was they were hosting a BBQ - people were going in and out, what were we supposed to do, keep putting shoes on & off?? Awkward.....

No, it's not awkward when you're use to it :) We do it all the time, it's not hard to put your shoes on when you go out and take them off when you go in. It's like reflex, you don't even think about it :)
  • cbrewer904
    Options
    If their house is carpet...yes
  • newman84
    newman84 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to start that at my house . We have hardwood floor and i hate the dirt on my feet Shoes or no shoes. If someone's house has a no shoe rule then i will take of my shoes.
    The only problem i have is when i'm wearing my boots and it's a pain to unlace and lace them back. I don't get much of a choice in my foot wear though.