Working mom needs kid friendly crock pot recipe's!!

Options

Replies

• tara_jm
    tara_jm Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I both work full time so we've gotten really good at quick meals and meal planning. I usually make enough that we always have leftovers for a couple meals a week. I do use my crockpot but it's a little big so I find it overcooks our meals a lot so I tend to rarely use it.

Can you program your oven to cook when you're gone? I have a couple days a month where I'll make a double batch of lasagnas, chicken pot pies, or enchiladas and then I split it into 4 tin foil pans and freeze them. I put them in the oven in the morning frozen and set the oven to cook so that the meal is ready when I get home. I also do this with frozen chicken breast - put a few chicken breasts in a pan, put whatever sauce on it, and set the oven to cook so that it's just finishing up when I get home. I know some people aren't good with thawing chicken outside the fridge during the day, but it works for me.

The other thing I do a lot is actually cook something after the kids go to bed that can be warmed up easily the next day - pasta sauce, turkey chili etc. Or I make a healthy meatloaf mixture at night, put it in muffin tin in the fridge, and cook it when I get home in muffin tins so that it only takes 20 minutes in the oven. Again I set my oven so that it's pre-heated by the time I get home so all I need to do is pull out the muffin tin from the fridge and throw it in the oven.

We always have a big container of cut up veggies that I pull out as soon as we get home. My kids will munch on that while I finish getting dinner on the table.

I have some really good lasagna, enchilada and chicken pot pie recipes if you want. I just don't want to post them here in a crock pot thread if you aren't interested. Just PM me.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    bump
  • chrissym78
    chrissym78 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    bump
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    bump for later
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting this post!! There are a ton of great ideas here!

I have a pulled pork recipe to add... easy and delicious.

Ingredients

1 teaspoon vegetable oil
    1 (4 pound) pork shoulder roast
    1 cup barbeque sauce
    1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
    1/2 cup chicken broth
    1/4 cup light brown sugar
    1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon chili powder
    1 extra large onion, chopped
    2 large cloves garlic, crushed
    1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
    8 hamburger buns, split
    2 tablespoons butter, or as needed

Directions

Pour the vegetable oil into the bottom of a slow cooker. Place the pork roast into the slow cooker; pour in the barbecue sauce, apple cider vinegar, and chicken broth. Stir in the brown sugar, yellow mustard, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, onion, garlic, and thyme. Cover and cook on High until the roast shreds easily with a fork, 5 to 6 hours.
    Remove the roast from the slow cooker, and shred the meat using two forks. Return the shredded pork to the slow cooker, and stir the meat into the juices.
    Spread the inside of both halves of hamburger buns with butter. Toast the buns, butter side down, in a skillet over medium heat until golden brown. Spoon pork into the toasted buns.

Source: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Cooker-Texas-Pulled-Pork/Detail.aspx
  • Tara1090
    Tara1090 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    All of these posts make me want to go out and buy a crockpot! :)
  • JennyZD
    JennyZD Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if it has been mentioned but Gina (skinnytaste.com) has a lot of crock pot recipes!
  • jazzie2421
    Options
    Hawiian Chicken

1 frozen breast (or drumstick, or whatever piece of chicken you like) for each person in your family
    1 Container of Sweet & Sour Marinade

Pour marinade over chicken, cook on low all day

Serve over rice... mm...
  • kerricolby
    kerricolby Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Bump!!
  • kcoyle220
    kcoyle220 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    There is an interesting book called Once A Month Cooking. Check it out at the library. Its all about preparing ahead of time. It might be for you.
  • jazzie2421
    Options
    Pot Roast

1 Large Roast
    1 Package of onion soup mix
    Potatoes (I do 4 small ones), carrots, and celery - about a cup or so each
    1 onion

Put roast and veggies in crock pot, pour soup mix over, put just enough water in it that it almost covers the meat. Cook on low all day...... divine.
  • jazzie2421
    Options
    We made this AMAZING ham and bean soup the other day in the crock pot. We had some celery and carrots we needed to use up, and had a package of beans in the pantry so this is what we came up with:

(We used neck bones, can use whatever meat you want - just really adds flavor)
    1 package of 15 bean soup mix, wash the beans very well
    Carrots (to taste)
    Celery (to taste)
    Onion (1)
    Garlic (we used quite a bit, go heavy if you like it, light if you don't)
    Seasoning Salt
    Garlic Salt
    Fresh Ground Pepper

Put all in crock pot, fill crock with water. Stir in seasonings. Cook on low all day.

- Sorry, we season as we go and I rarely measure seasonings unless making a precise recipe. Just add seasonings to taste, this turned out AMAZING!
  • mydeloo78
    mydeloo78 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Pork tenderloin, one cup of ketchup, one can diet soda (coke, pepsi etc). Cook on low for 6-7hrs, shred the pork.. tastes like BBQ.
  • paulamhunt
    paulamhunt Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RNmomto4
    RNmomto4 Posts: 143
    Options
    bump:smile:
  • K_M_O_C_K
    K_M_O_C_K Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    This website has a bunch of crockpot recipes, I love it.
    http://www.kellyskornerblog.com/2011/08/crockpotalooza.html
  • cupcakecutie1985
    cupcakecutie1985 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Love Crockpot recipes!
  • mirna_ayala0428
    mirna_ayala0428 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    bump