I can't seem to lose any weight?

Options

Replies

• mollyt1169
    mollyt1169 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Bones shrink? If thats the case, my best friend who weighs about 100 pounds soaking wet must be made of rubber.

That made me laugh hysterically!
  • Jorra
    Jorra Posts: 3,338 Member
    Options
    The body takes some time to adjust. First it has to shrink your bones since the body is preparing for less weight due to fewer calories. Bones take a long time to shrink and the body hesitates at this point since it takes a lot of work. It wants to make sure you're serious. Once the bones shrink you will drop weight and plateau again at the next level. Lose weight, wait for bone shrink, lose weight.

It goes weight, wait, weight.

Same is true for weight gain but in reverse.

Sorry to add to the pages of shocked responses to this post but...:laugh:
    what_are_you_doing.jpg
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    You're where people dream of being, sort of.

If you're not losing weight, you're in maintenance!

One small issue, I guess, is that you're not done losing weight, right?

Yes, we can spend hours tapping on the dials, setting the settings, and setting everything dress right dress. I've done that. And I gotta tell you, 110 pounds or so later, I really don't think it matters.

I lost 95 pound in 7 months. Check out my diary — I definitely did "Sit there, don't eat that." and dropped weight very, very quickly. It was a great experience and I'm thankful that I followed a safe, aggressive diet.

In December I decided to lose more weight. I cut my calories and dropped 7 pounds in two weeks.

No fretting, no stress, no fiddling.

Yes, you've found the calorie/exercise level that you need to maintain your weight and, just like you before, if you want to lose weight, eat less, exercise more.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Weight, wait, weight...WHAT?
  • sbeisel1
    sbeisel1 Posts: 181
    Options
    The body takes some time to adjust. First it has to shrink your bones since the body is preparing for less weight due to fewer calories. Bones take a long time to shrink and the body hesitates at this point since it takes a lot of work. It wants to make sure you're serious. Once the bones shrink you will drop weight and plateau again at the next level. Lose weight, wait for bone shrink, lose weight.

THAT explains everything I must have really fat bones!! :noway: weight :laugh: wait :laugh: weight :huh:
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Yes, you've found the calorie/exercise level that you need to maintain your weight and, just like you before, if you want to lose weight, eat less, exercise more.

Sir, while your weight loss success is extraordinary, do you really think it is wise to advise this young lady eating < 900 calories per day and exercising to eat less and exercise more?
  • divinesoul
    divinesoul Posts: 48 Member
    Options

I studied medicine, but how come I didn't read about this amazing theory?! Dumb book authors and professors!

I love you Nadohs for enlightening us. You deserve a nobel prize for this awesomest explanation for weight loss! :ohwell: :bigsmile:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • psiren28
    psiren28 Posts: 530 Member
    Options

So when I was heavier I really WAS big boned?? I wasn't lying? Sweeeeeeeeet :laugh:
  • gldnlark
    gldnlark Posts: 53
    Options
    Are you taking any prescription medications? You may want to look them up and check on their side effects. Many common meds can cause weight gain. It could be a culprit or at least be contributing to the issue.

A
  • cindikhendrickson
    Options
    Perhaps you need to eat 1500 calories on hard workout days and 1200 the off days. PROTEIN PROTEIN PROTEIN.
  • rainbowbuggy
    Options

Sorry but this terrible! I have never heard of this.

After looking at your diary...ummm your intake is all over the place but regardless, you need to eat more. You leave hundreds of calories on the table. If you cannot eat more, you shouldn't exercise as much. Your not eating enough to fuel your body. Add some almonds, peanutbutter, olive oil, avocados, and for the love of god, please get more protein! Good luck!
  • mctiernan
    mctiernan Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    You are not eating enough. Its that simple.
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Your calories are all over the place. I would recommend sticking to one calorie amount for several weeks before you can even begin to figure out how to adjust. It's difficult to make adjustments when there's no consistency.

^^For the love of God, please ignore this.

^^ What he said.
  • HannahMargrethe
    Options
    Just casually checking on my thread to see if there's any good advice, but also to see all the hilarious replies to the bone shrinkage post :laugh:

I'd also like to thank all of you who have replied to me :)
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    This thread has made my day.
  • aweightymatter
    Options

There are a lot of new people here and I hope for the love of Pete, they use common sense. This advice sounds like something from a witchcraft book (for dummies).

For one thing exercise signals bones to replace cells making them stronger, not to shrink.

Besides that, you should log EVERYTHING you eat to get an accurate accounting of calories consumed. Sometimes guessing can be totally off.

Pretty sure bones-poster is a troll. Another one of his forum posts also assures someone their need to pee after drinking water will decrease with time.
  • Losinitforgood
    Losinitforgood Posts: 28 Member
    Options

Many people have already said this, but BONES DON'T SHRINK during weight loss. my goodness.
    To answer your question, re-evaluate what you are eating and re-evaluate your workout habits. try something new. your body will get used to the same thing over and over and over again and will plateau.
  • calcrunch
    calcrunch Posts: 18
    Options

Obvious troll is obvious...
  • stormy68
    stormy68 Posts: 5
    Options
    I didn't read through all your responses, so forgive me if this has already been addressed. Have you gone to your family doctor recently? It may be helpful to have a blood test to see if all is well with your hormones and blood sugar levels. If all is well, you should just continue to eat the right amount of calories for your current size. There are many places on the web that will calculate how much you personally should be eating to lose weight. As time goes on, you can reduce the calories as you see progress. Just keep eating healthy and exercising daily. Things will turn around for you.
  • mwestonp
    mwestonp Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Looks like you have a bunch of responses already. I just broke through a 3 week plateau where I was doing cardio every day and lifting 5-6 days per week. I was at or under my calorie goal every day (eating back most of my cardio calories). I was drinking 8-16 cups of water per day and I was generally keeping a "clean" diet. The only change for me before breaking through? I took two consecutive days off from the gym...no lifting, no cardio. There were no cardio calories to eat back, so I ate almost exactly my calorie allocation for those two days. I'm not a nutritionist, but here are a few of my suggestions:

1.) Make sure you're drinking AT LEAST 8 cups of water per day. It mobilizes the fat you're burning.

2.) Vary your calories...try to have some days where you're a bit above, some days where you're a bit below your target.

3.) Rest up. I was afraid to skip a day of cardio, but it's important to give yourself at least one day off each week IMO.

4.) Be patient...you will break through if you stay persistent. And you may find that in addition to the weight, you lost more inches than you initially thought.

5.) Eat! Keep that metabolism working. I try to eat something every 3 hours. In the mid-morning and afternoon it's something easy like an ounce of almonds or some sort of granola bar.

That's my two cents on the subject. Good luck to you and keep up the good work!