Want weight loss? Push your body to the limits

Options

Replies

• icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    This post is a suggestion to those who can do it. Or a great thing to start working toward. It is not forced on anybody. People should know that they need to listen to their bodies and know that they need to talk to their doctors.
    All the posts are suggestions, advice, experience, support. They are not you have to go and do it.
    This is an awesome workout that works for banks, and many others. You do need to push yourself to the next level to lose the weight.
  • NurseBarb
    NurseBarb Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I'm just getting to read this for the first time today and I love it!!!

I had the most hilarious thought Banks..... I workout at a HUGE college rec center. LIke imagine a super Walmart, make it two stories high and add an olympic size pool in the back and thats it. Anyways, when I walk in the mornings there is usually a good size group of military guys there doing this kind of training (they are in college/military at the same time)
    Wouldn't it be hilarious if I just joined in the back of the pack and pretended like I was supposed to be there. Here's all the buff, fit military college guys and the fat old lady in the back!!!
    :laugh: :noway: :laugh: :noway: :laugh: :noway: :laugh: :noway: :laugh: :noway: :laugh:
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Stoooop that talk! :tongue: My wife is the same age as you, she does this kind of work out (though not with me). I wish you guys could meet her, she is an inspiration! You know I bet they would be glad to have you. We had a girl ask to join our football practices one year, we welcomed her in (she didn't want to play, she just wanted to get in shape for herself), course she didn't put pads on and hit, but she stayed for a week or so, I never got to talk to her much (I'm sure the coaches would have LOVED that), but we were polite to her and I think she enjoyed it.

Anyway, one thing you can take out of this thread is, it is mega hard on the body, so if you've never done it before but you want to try, work up to it, and by all means, get checked out to make sure your body can handle the stress.
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I had an incredible dose of reality last week as my father (63) had a massive heart attack and subsequent triple bypass. He is doing well and is home now recovering.

HE ID NOT CONSULT A DOCTOR BEFORE STARTING HIS EXERCISE PROGRAM!!!! The warning is there for a reason! If you know that you have not lived the healthiest lifestyle (overweight, smoker, couch potato, high cholesterol) PLEASE I BEG YOU - GET YOUR HEART CHECKED!! I saw the results of DENIAL this week and it was not pretty. His cardiologists words to his family were "He dodged a bullet. " He stopped smoking 7 years ago, he is active, he was exercising but it was too little too late, if he had just had the right test he could have avoided a very scary situation.

thanks for listening!
  • jesusgrl14
    jesusgrl14 Posts: 250
    Options
    I am really feeling like some of these posts are so silly. Banks gave us a new workout as a gift. This was no different from someone posting their favorite recipe to share with the group. If someone posts a recipe with onions, and I am allergic to onions, I don't cook that recipe or I leave out the onions. I have yet to see someone freak out because of some crazy recipe. It's a solid and incredible workout for those of us who can do it. It's too tough for others. End of story. We are all adults and you are responsible for what you choose to do with your body, not Banks. If you choose to do it, make it work for you. If you don't or shouldn't do it, then leave those who do enjoy it alone. I for one am grateful. This has been just the fun, new kick I needed to restart my passion. I know I am 28 and fairly fit and it's something I can do without hesitation. This might not be the case for you, easy....don't do it!

Silly! :noway:
  • natileebee
    Options
    I am really feeling like some of these posts are so silly. Banks gave us a new workout as a gift. This was no different from someone posting their favorite recipe to share with the group. If someone posts a recipe with onions, and I am allergic to onions, I don't cook that recipe or I leave out the onions. I have yet to see someone freak out because of some crazy recipe. It's a solid and incredible workout for those of us who can do it. It's too tough for others. End of story. We are all adults and you are responsible for what you choose to do with your body, not Banks. If you choose to do it, make it work for you. If you don't or shouldn't do it, then leave those who do enjoy it alone. I for one am grateful. This has been just the fun, new kick I needed to restart my passion. I know I am 28 and fairly fit and it's something I can do without hesitation. This might not be the case for you, easy....don't do it!

Silly! :noway:

I agree with you jesusgrl. I read over all this last night and was waiting to see how it all turned out. I would hope that when someone reads any of the post on this site they know that it is someone else's opinion and someone else's trail and error. You have to take what you can use. I have seen things on here I don't agree with, but I don't get too involved. We are all different, so we think different, our bodies are different, and in trying out things on this site our bodies will respond different. Remember...We are hear to encourage. I love reading what ALL of you have to say. Happy workout to everyone today! :tongue:
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    Well, my opinon is that this exersice is awesome, so much so that i now believe my gym sessions are to suppliment my main training, the 'Banks program' :tongue:

I've not done anything like this for a few years now and of course my first time back to this sort of training will result in me needing to take a longer than normal time to recover. The whole aim of this excersie is to push the bodies limits.

I can't wait for the time when i can do this everyday :wink: give me a month and i'll be there lol

Ohh and Banks I've rubber stamped your program

*Albert Schwartz Approved Training Method*

lol :laugh:
  • banks1850
    Options
    Thank you guys for the kind words. I appreciate all of it. And yes, this program I put together was meant for people who have already done some workouts and are now at the stage that they feel they can "up the ante" a little. Sometimes people just feel passion about a topic and things can be said that might be read out of context or seem hurtful. I don't pain easilly mentally (I've had enough that something like this saddens me but not for very long), and I'll take this and learn from it.
    I won't stop posting because of this, although I may write more specific warnings in the future (that's the learning thing), but I will continue this program, and as a matter of fact, I'm now to the point where I need to start thinking about adding and additional exercise into it (yuck!).

So keep going all (if you enjoy it that is!)! I hope this is the end of the line for the subject matter of the last few posts. I think everything that needed saying was said.

Oh and, phkelley, I'm sorry to hear about your father, I hope he makes a full recovery and is back out there becomming healthy again in no time (under a professional's observation this time I hope:flowerforyou: )
  • sindyb9
    sindyb9 Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    bump
  • arolsma
    arolsma Posts: 15
    Options
    I am going to try this next week. Let you know how it goes :)
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Bump..I love reading this thread! :)
  • banks1850
    Options
    So I switched it up a bit today, did a hybrid of sprinting and slower (but still fast) running on the track for 20 minutes today, and then did 10 minutes on the stairs (not a stairmaster, REAL stairs! LOL, rough stuff), It was too wet on the field. Then I came inside and did a pretty good 15 minute Ab workout with sport ball crunches, reverse sport ball crunches, Oblique crunches, wall squats, and a couple of different plank types.

It was pretty good, got my cardio (did about 500 calories with the sprint/jog), got my quad and calf work (stairs) and got my core work (my abs are killing me, just the perfect amount!). I did shoulders and arms on thursday so I'll do those monday. Wasn't as good as my original routine for my VO2 level (wind), but I think I'm pretty good there now as is. I'm not winded after 3 miles at 8.5 mph, so I think I'm ok with skipping 1 or 2 workouts there.
  • rmitchell2301
    Options
    I'm going back at this either tomorrow or Tuesday. I'm going to do this. What I find best about this program is that it is based around short distance. Too often a workout program calls for a few miles, etc. I can't run distance; never could so I became a goalie in everything I did. This program is perfect because it works me hard without the distance.

and I'll be honest, although I understand what phatmomma was saying, I thought it was rude and was pretty offended by the tone, not the content, the tone. It's over for me now, it's dropped.

Thanks Banks
  • banks1850
    Options
    So I just wanted to update you guys, seasons starting soon, and I'm running in a 5K a week from saturday (my first one in about 12 years, wish me luck). I have been doing modefied versions of this routine 3 times a week, I'm definitely stronger then I was, and I feel faster too. I can no longer become exhausted in the 1 hour by doing my routine (which is awesome), so I cut down the time in between different things, I also added 2 more frog jumps and 2 more sprints (to both sprints) and reduced my jumping jack time a little. I still get pretty winded, but not the way I did when I first started doing it. Hope you guys who are using it are still enjoying it. And please, if you can think of any other good things to throw in, feel free to pop them on here.
  • cobra1368
    cobra1368 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    And please, if you can think of any other good things to throw in, feel free to pop them on here.

Not that I'm ready for this or anything, but there are always mountain climbers or those ones where you squat, then shoot your legs out behind you in a pushup position, then pull them back to a squat, then stand. Those really hurt!

I'm doing good with the workout you've suggested. I get pretty winded and I can barely walk to my car after the second set of wind sprints! My legs feel like rubber. But after the shower, when I'm sitting at home, it feels wonderful. :smile:

I plan on pushing myself extra hard for the next couple of sessions. I feel fatigued, but not falling over fatigued. I slow down tremendously on my second set of sprints. It's like I can't make my legs go any faster, or I'll end up face-down in the dirt!

Any suggestions for how to overcome "rubber-leg" syndrome?
  • nicole0177
    nicole0177 Posts: 377
    Options
    So I just wanted to update you guys, seasons starting soon, and I'm running in a 5K a week from saturday (my first one in about 12 years, wish me luck). I have been doing modefied versions of this routine 3 times a week, I'm definitely stronger then I was, and I feel faster too. I can no longer become exhausted in the 1 hour by doing my routine (which is awesome), so I cut down the time in between different things, I also added 2 more frog jumps and 2 more sprints (to both sprints) and reduced my jumping jack time a little. I still get pretty winded, but not the way I did when I first started doing it. Hope you guys who are using it are still enjoying it. And please, if you can think of any other good things to throw in, feel free to pop them on here.

good luck with your race and im trying this workout in about a half hour so wish me luck!!! and ill let uk how exhausted i am. if i can even make it to the computer.
  • banks1850
    Options
    Not that I'm ready for this or anything, but there are always mountain climbers or those ones where you squat, then shoot your legs out behind you in a pushup position, then pull them back to a squat, then stand. Those really hurt!

I'm doing good with the workout you've suggested. I get pretty winded and I can barely walk to my car after the second set of wind sprints! My legs feel like rubber. But after the shower, when I'm sitting at home, it feels wonderful. :smile:

I plan on pushing myself extra hard for the next couple of sessions. I feel fatigued, but not falling over fatigued. I slow down tremendously on my second set of sprints. It's like I can't make my legs go any faster, or I'll end up face-down in the dirt!

Any suggestions for how to overcome "rubber-leg" syndrome?

Hehe, that rubbery leg thing is just how it goes. Eventually, it will feel less and less, and you'll notice you can do the 2nd set almost as fast as the first. When the rubber is just about gone, then you know it's either time to add more stuff, or run a marathon. :tongue:
  • banks1850
    Options
    good luck with your race and im trying this workout in about a half hour so wish me luck!!! and ill let uk how exhausted i am. if i can even make it to the computer.

Good luck! thanks for the wishes for my race. i'll be happy with middle of the pack for this one. Next one though.... I expect to be right up near the front!
  • nicole0177
    nicole0177 Posts: 377
    Options

Good luck! thanks for the wishes for my race. i'll be happy with middle of the pack for this one. Next one though.... I expect to be right up near the front!

thats right push yourself.LOL!!! you will win that race. so i tried your workout. didnt get through all of it haha it wore me out.:embarassed: but toms another day. now i know why i never considered joing the military.