why are people afraid of 'fats'?

Options
124»

Replies

• PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Come on now, saturated fat is the main component of breast milk...........
    How is that, when it has almost twice as much lactose (carb) as it does total fat, and over twenty times as much water as fat?

That being said, I only cook with saturated fats (organic extra virgin coconut oil or organic butter) and agree that trans fats are the enemy, here.

You are thinking about cows milk and the amount of lactose. Human milk and other milk for each species is different.

Breast milk has very little carb content and the saturated fat content is higher than 50% in human breast milk. I believe (if I am remembering right) that the protein content is around 30% and the remaining 20% is carb content.....
  • demure_poetic
    Options
    Sorry to be debbie downer to all the peanut butter people..but most store bought peanut butters have hydronated oils in them. I'm considering doing as suggested by some and making my own with a food processor and dry roasted peanuts so I know what the one ingredient is.

The question is, how much?

Answer: not even enough to measure

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11368602
    The fatty acid composition of 11 brands of peanut butter and paste freshly prepared from roasted peanuts was analyzed with emphasis on isomeric trans-fatty acids. No trans-fatty acids were detected in any of the samples in an analytical system with a detection threshold of 0.01% of the sample weight. Hydrogenated vegetable oils are added to peanut butters at levels of 1--2% to prevent oil separation. Some hydrogenated vegetable oils are known to be sources of trans-fatty acids in the human diet. The addition of these products was not found to result in measurable amounts of trans-fatty acids in the peanut butters analyzed.

it's not just oil we have to worry about, the peanut butter brands that aren't 100% natural have SUGAR in them...sugar is not something I would like to be eating by the tbls... recently bough 100% natural peanut butter and I love it. Also I am not afraid of other healthy fats like olive oil, avacado's ect. I am aware I need them, I have been a little iffy about calories though that is true. *Everything in moderation* even fruit and veggies that's how it should be! I have a 1200 calorie limit per day but if I happen to go over another 200 in healthy foods/fats, I don't stress about it, any higher than that makes me a little uneasy.
  • kleighsamboer
    Options
    I am not afraid of good fat. in fact, I am an advocate for them but like anything there can be too much of a good thing. Right now I have a lot of weight to lose so I am limiting my fat intake but i do have a couple avos per week and I eat fish a couple times per week. i can tell when my efa's are low and then i eat more. it is all about listening to your body.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    How is that, when it has almost twice as much lactose (carb) as it does total fat, and over twenty times as much water as fat?

That being said, I only cook with saturated fats (organic extra virgin coconut oil or organic butter) and agree that trans fats are the enemy, here.

You are thinking about cows milk and the amount of lactose. Human milk and other milk for each species is different.

Breast milk has very little carb content and the saturated fat content is higher than 50% in human breast milk. I believe (if I am remembering right) that the protein content is around 30% and the remaining 20% is carb content.....
    From http://www.parentingscience.com/calories-in-breast-milk.html (one of many sources):

100mL contains:

70 calories
    89.97 g water
    7.4 g carbohydrates (primarily lactose)
    4.2 g fat
    1.3 g protein

These are the averages of samples taken repeatedly over a 24-hour period (Department of Health and Social Security 1988).

Human: 3.8% fat; 1% protein; 7% lactose
    Cow: 3.7% fat; 3.4% protein; 4.8% lactose
    Rat: 10.3% fat; 8.4% protein; 2.6% lactose
    Dog: 12.9% fat; 7.9% protein; 3.1% lactose
    Rabbit: 18.3% fat; 13.9% protein; 2.6% lactose

It's a stupid thing to argue about, but like, I don't know. Is this info wrong? I'm sure I could find conflicting info that supports your position on the matter. It seems health and nutrition is far less science than we'd like to believe.
  • I ain't afraid of no fats! lol

On that note, most people are just not educated about the difference between healthy vs unhealthy fats.

Education is the key! I just wish my friends would figure this or at least listen when i talk. lol.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

All trans fats are the enemy?
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    It comes down to calories for me. When it comes down to putting in 100 calories worth of oil or 100 calories worth of veggies into a meal, I generally go for the veggies because I'm a volume eater.

I do have somewhat of a love affair with nut butters though.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    they are double the calories of proteins and carbs! you can only have so much without going overboard
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I'm not afraid of them at all.

The problem is that folks still buy into the low fat craze of the 80s and 90s despite the fact that it has been debunked. We have been conditioned to believe that all fat is bad. We have to educate our way of this conditioning.
  • renu74
    renu74 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Most people shy away from avocados and nuts with a high calorie content, not the fat itself.

I LOVE Avocado's and nuts. I was eating and I was asking in post that I started yesterday and someone said that I was eating too much fat, they said it doesn't matter if it is good. I thought that I could eat good fat and am OK but after reading their post I am reconsidering eating whole avocado's or 1oz of nuts the same day.
  • katiew00t
    katiew00t Posts: 164
    Options
    I'm only afraid of spiders, ghosts and clowns.

Me too.. and teeth falling out.

Floss!

I LOVE coconut oil. I use it in my protein shakes. Also eat a lot of peanut butter...
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    Sorry to be debbie downer to all the peanut butter people..but most store bought peanut butters have hydronated oils in them. I'm considering doing as suggested by some and making my own with a food processor and dry roasted peanuts so I know what the one ingredient is.

All you have to do is flip the jar over and read the label. There are plenty of nut butters out there that do not have any hydrogenated oils in them.

you can make your own pb with a good processor. just use roasted peanuts and no salt... or roasted almonds...
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options

Floss!

I LOVE coconut oil. I use it in my protein shakes. Also eat a lot of peanut butter...

lol!!! love the floss answer! :) I don't floss... I brush really well. my dentist even said so! :P I use olive oil.. thought about the others but never made the transition...
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options

All trans fats are the enemy?
    Well, I should have clarified that, I guess. I don't care about the ones found in my meat naturally.
  • paulamarsden
    paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    arghhh everyone shoukld floss, brushes cant get in between unless you are a hillbilly.

fats are GOOD. i eat red meat, i eat salmon and mackerel, i use EVOO in all my cooking, or ground nut in chinese cooking.

i eat brazil nuts, almonds, pistachios and cashews.

im not scared of fat :)
  • katiew00t
    katiew00t Posts: 164
    Options

Floss!

lol!!! love the floss answer! :) I don't floss... I brush really well. my dentist even said so! :P I use olive oil.. thought about the others but never made the transition...

:D Try using coconut oil. A little goes a long way. I've used 1 tablespoon to saute garlic, onions, and green peppers to add to spaghetti sauce, instead of the 1/4 cup of olive oil the recipe calls for. Yum!
  • paulamarsden
    paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    i bought a hand pump oil sprayer last year, i use about 1/2 tsp if that to sautee.

i cannot stress how important a good and expensive pan is though,
  • corrymeela
    corrymeela Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    try chia seed-
    10g of seed contains 4g fat,in form of omega3/6.
    also 4g fibre,2g protein