National Self Harm Awareness Day

Options

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Self-Harm isn't actually what most people seem to think it is.
    It'd be really nice if people didn't stigmatise or label it (I repeat, I'm NOT an emo!)

It's just a way of dealing with life in the same way people get angry, or cry in a corner, or talk to a psychologist, or smoke, or overeat, or take drugs.
    You're telling me you've never done any one of these? Or deal with life another way?
    It might not be the most productive way of dealing with life, but that doesn't make it wrong.

Just to clarify :)

Getting angry, crying in the corner, taking drugs, over eating, cutting yourself, burning yourself... which ones of those are "right"? Professional help.

You seem to think it's easy to get professional help. It's expensive and from past experiences, not very useful.

I have to disagree with you there. First off, what is considered 'professional help' is really just a jerk that got a certificate off the internet. You need to see a qualified psychologist (*note that I said psychologist, and NOT a psychiatrist). Secondly, professional help will benefit anyone who is open to it. You can't be forced into treatment.

*EDIT - Let me also add that any good psychologist will work with you financially. You just need to break out a phone book and call around to find them.
  • eatmeingo
    eatmeingo Posts: 134
    Options
    I read through this thread early this morning. I see the profile photo has changed, the food diary has changed, and the profile itself has changed. Either you are jerking our chain for attention or you need more help than you will ever get on MFP. I am surprised this hasn't been locked up yet. I joined MFP because the concept is based on a healthy approach to life including a HEALTHY diet and exercise.

And for those of you who will jump down my throat for being insensitive: How many of you are capable of supporting or counseling a person with self destructive disorder in a manner so as NOT to cause more damage? I can't imagine what it would be like to want to hurt myself in order to feel better, but I hope these people are getting professional help and not depending on MFPs "experts" for help.

My profile has changed? Yes I changed my picture, but nothing else really. All this thread was for was to make people aware of what day it was. I'm sorry for explaining what and why I self harm, I won't talk about it anymore. I just enjoy sharing things I can't talk about IRL with people who may actually understand.

I joined MFP because I want to recover. It helps me stay on track, and there are people supporting healthy weight loss.

You give us too much credit. I would venture to say most of us are shocked and don't really know how to react. That's why I think people who are trying to help you by giving advice could possibly be doing more harm than good. If I saw a person wounded with a bullet in their body, would I be able to take it out without killing the person? I wouldn't want to take that chance. I also wouldn't want to chance giving you advice or trying to understand why you feel the need to do what you do. A professional must help in either of these cases.

No further posts here.. good luck, I hope you find the answer. :flowerforyou:

I wasn't asking for help or advice, it was more venting than anything.

Thanks.
  • Phoenix1401
    Phoenix1401 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Sadly, I'm not wearing orange I'm wearing pink lol but in all seriousness I used to be a cutter between the ages 15-18
  • eatmeingo
    Options
    Sadly, I'm not wearing orange I'm wearing pink lol but in all seriousness I used to be a cutter between the ages 15-18

I'm glad you recovered dear. ♥
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I read through this thread early this morning. I see the profile photo has changed, the food diary has changed, and the profile itself has changed. Either you are jerking our chain for attention or you need more help than you will ever get on MFP. I am surprised this hasn't been locked up yet. I joined MFP because the concept is based on a healthy approach to life including a HEALTHY diet and exercise.

And for those of you who will jump down my throat for being insensitive: How many of you are capable of supporting or counseling a person with self destructive disorder in a manner so as NOT to cause more damage? I can't imagine what it would be like to want to hurt myself in order to feel better, but I hope these people are getting professional help and not depending on MFPs "experts" for help.

Other than a little over-sensitivity to a bad joke (which is completely understandable), I don't really see how the OP has warranted this. She didn't ask for help. She asked for compassion. Your post totally shows a lack thereof.

This. She didn't ask for anything but for some people to raise awareness.
  • sdickerson71303
    sdickerson71303 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Because today is "National Self Harm Awareness Day" I have a confession to make. back in middle and high school I was a cutter. For various reasons... that most will never understand. I have stopped a long time ago and I really dont have that many noticeable scars. One on my arm and 3 on my thigh. Today is a reminder of what I endured but more of what I overcame. I see that if I could overcome those issues I can overcome anything. Esp this weight loss struggle
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I don't think I own any orange at all, but I will look for something. :) Feel good about yourself today, everyone! We are all so freaking awesome.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    My hair is reddish, which is sort of orange-ish... does that count?
    I didn't know that was today but, as someone who spent the better part of her life as a cutter, it is very important to raise awareness about it.
  • Phoenix1401
    Phoenix1401 Posts: 711 Member
    Options

I'm glad you recovered dear. ♥

Thanks : ) those ages was a hellish time back then now that i'm 21 and I have good faith in God nothing can never put back into that state of mind anymore
  • miss_missa07
    Options
    I wasn't aware what today was, either. I wish I would have known earlier so I could have worn orange to work today! I'm going to a basketball game tonight, and our school colors are orange and blue, so I will definitely be wearing orange there :). Of course, I'll keep in mind it's deeper meaning today.

It is unbelievable how people have reacted to this topic. It was started to raise awareness for a very important topic, and people seemed to find a way to turn it into a joke or argument. It is important that we talk about these kind of things openly and with understanding, all while keeping an open mind. Otherwise, this kind of stuff gets shuffled under the rug, and people who participate in self-harm activities are scared to come forth about it. Think about it this way--if every time a cutter/person with an ED/etc confides in someone their destructive behaviors, and that person reacts with "There is something wrong with you," it will make that person much less likely to come out with problems in the future to try to fix them.
  • wendyannie1976
    wendyannie1976 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    More power to understanding and acceptance, no one should feel outcast or the need to hide, the more people understand and are aware the more people that may just ask and offer help be it be a shoulder, an ear or a you are not alone.

Be strong, be brave, be bold, all can over come and wear orange people :-) xx
  • miss_missa07
    Options
    Today is a reminder of what I endured but more of what I overcame. I see that if I could overcome those issues I can overcome anything.

Well said.
  • Audddua
    Audddua Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I read through this thread early this morning. I see the profile photo has changed, the food diary has changed, and the profile itself has changed. Either you are jerking our chain for attention or you need more help than you will ever get on MFP.

:noway: Whatever get over it! My diary changes all the time. Most days I plug in what I plan on eating and the workout I plan on doing. This gives me a chance to see if I can have a beer or if I need to run another mile because mashed potatoes are a calorie bomb. Try being a little more compassionate and a little less judgy :flowerforyou:

Also I drew a little heart on my hand with an orange highlighter and outlined it with a pen. :heart: <- (except orange)
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    This isn't something I've heard about before, which is sad because I'm a school psychologist in an alternative school where there is a large percentage of students (about 25%) who are known cutters. We do raise awareness about it on a pretty regular basis in our group sessions...but please know that I just put an orange ribbon in highlighter on my wrist.
  • eatmeingo
    Options
    This isn't something I've heard about before, which is sad because I'm a school psychologist in an alternative school where there is a large percentage of students (about 25%) who are known cutters. We do raise awareness about it on a pretty regular basis in our group sessions...but please know that I just put an orange ribbon in highlighter on my wrist.

Thank you.
  • catfish9
    catfish9 Posts: 138
    Options
    The social stigma surrounding self-harm (as well most other mental health concerns, for that matter) is disgusting. Sure, some people absolutely do harm themselves for attention, but it is important to remember that there are those who are truly struggling with the addiction of self-injury as a coping mechanism. Thank you for posting this; awareness is important!

For those of you still trapped in this cycle, stay strong. If you are ready to fight this, there are tons of resources, and plenty of people willing to help you; it's just a matter of being honest with yourself and seeking them out. I self-injured all through college, and haven't cut in over two years. It's hard, but it's possible. Believe in yourself, and know that you are strong enough to cope with life without hurting yourselves.

I don't have anything orange to wear (shame on me!), but I'm going to go find an orange marker. :heart:
  • azazelrabbit
    Options
    It is unbelievable how people have reacted to this topic. It was started to raise awareness for a very important topic, and people seemed to find a way to turn it into a joke or argument. It is important that we talk about these kind of things openly and with understanding, all while keeping an open mind. Otherwise, this kind of stuff gets shuffled under the rug, and people who participate in self-harm activities are scared to come forth about it. Think about it this way--if every time a cutter/person with an ED/etc confides in someone their destructive behaviors, and that person reacts with "There is something wrong with you," it will make that person much less likely to come out with problems in the future to try to fix them.
    The social stigma surrounding self-harm (as well most other mental health concerns, for that matter) is disgusting. Sure, some people absolutely do harm themselves for attention, but it is important to remember that there are those who are truly struggling with the addiction of self-injury as a coping mechanism. Thank you for posting this; awareness is important!

These ^
  • princeza9
    princeza9 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Love TWLOHA! I have orange craft thread around my wrist. Unfortunately, I don't own any orange clothes. And as someone who has cut in the past (I was in my twenties and still get the thoughts), it is an ongoing process. The support is much appreciated.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    if i knew this i would have worn my orange tshirt. i love orange tshirts.
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I wish I would have known about this sooner as well... either way, thanks to those who are being supportive. I've been battling with this for over 12 years.