Options
    Maybe we're walking too much!!!

Ha ha! :laugh:

Thanks for your well-wishes on my heel, Jenna! :flowerforyou:

Cheers! :drinker:
  • steph54
    steph54 Posts: 28
    Options
    Hi, I'm Steph. My goal is to lose 70 of the 100 lbs I have gained over the years. I love walking but have arthritis in my feet. I can either walk 15 minutes at a fast pace or 30 minutes slowly before my feet really start protesting. I think regular walking (and of course weight loss) will help them considerably. Count me in. I walked 2 times yesterday for a total of 50 minutes and 20 minutes so far today.
  • Kidvicious28
    Kidvicious28 Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Hey Steph! Welcome to our walking challenge! :flowerforyou:
  • spunkiemunkie503
    Options
    Thanks Cindy for all the encouragement. Hope everone has had a good week and an even better one to come. Have a great weekend.

Will weigh on Monday, we will see what the out come is.....Not much swimming this week, lots of rain here in Central Florida.

:drinker: :drinker: :cry: This should be sweat not tears, man is it hot this summer!
  • cpafford79
    cpafford79 Posts: 88
    Options
    Welcome Steph! :flowerforyou:
  • stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    First Check-in of 2nd Session!

Day 1, Friday, 07/03/09: Bicycling, 79 min
    Day 2, Sunday, 07/05/09: Walking, 31 min
    Day 3, Monday, 07/06/09: Walking, 30 min
    Day 4, Tuesday, 07/07/09: Walking, 35 min
    Day 5, Wednesday, 07/08/09: Walking, 31 min
    Day 6, Thursday, 07/09/09: Elliptical Trainer, 35 min

Today marks the first day of cardio rest for me for a week. I need to rest my right heel so that I can hopefully come back stronger next week and not aggravate the achilles tendonitis that plagues me! :angry:

So, I shall take this week to stretch and strengthen instead. I will continue to post even though I'm not walking--I suspect that's okay with all of you. :happy:

I hope that everyone else had a good end to the week and a great beginning to the next one!!! :flowerforyou:

• westenfan
    westenfan Posts: 10
    Options
    hi all, havent checked in lately. am having a realstressful week. everything was going wrong, i wasnt eating right, i wasnt sleeping and i was definitely not walking. i think i was slipping into depression. but the last 24 hours everything has all worked out. harley and i walked for 35 minutes this am, and i dont know which one of us was the happiest, me or the dog. then i felt invigorated so ive been cleaning since about 2 this afternoon, its now 10:20 p. m. and ive finally gave up for the night. its been hot today, but i took my time cleaning, and it didnt get to unbearable. no walk tonight, the frig died, so i had to get a rental, so harley and i will walk in the morning. keep on walkin ya all, and everybody take care of yourselves and those you love, take care of the ones you dont love too, sometimes thats what they need. smiles to all, check in 2morrow night.:noway: :tongue: :heart:ps i lost about 2 pounds in the last week or so yay
  • stratdl
    Options
    Hi westenfan!

Glad to see that things are turning around for you. :flowerforyou:

Way to go on getting back into it after your hiatus and good for you for dropping 2 pounds in spite of a bad week! Keep on truckin'!

• Dragonfly11
    Dragonfly11 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Hi Family,
    1st check in of the new session - a day late but i'm still here . Work was insane this week, our admin was out and i was training and doing front desk + the other as needed duties as they came up - needless to say the week went by so fast but haven't had time to check in with you. Been keeping up w/ my exercise and logging food and i'm grateful for that.
    Sat: 40 min TJ
    Sun: rest day (man, was that hard to do!)
    Mon: 20 min TJ 40 min walk
    Tues: 20 min TJ
    Wed: 50 min walk
    Thurs: 20 min TJ 50min walk
    Fri: 50 min walk
    Total - 290 exercise min

Spunkie - Hang in there, I believe you can achieve whatever your fitness goals are. Just don't give up.
    I used to be 255lbs at my heaviest. At 5ft 5in, this was too much for me - ran the risk of all kinds of health probs and was hopeless to change. I so understand set backs, guess that's why it's taken me so long to get to the place i am now. It has taken me years, honestly, about 5 yrs, to create a lasting change in my weight and attitude. Thanks to the help of a lot of patient, loving people, their encouragement, and a willingnessto keep on trying i am worlds away from the woman I was then. I still am not where i want to be but it's good to know i'm on my way. I encourage you and support you!!
    You can do whatever you chose to do - I hope you are able to bike ride and the swimming exercies are easy on your body but are fantastic for cardio and all over toning and strengthening - great suggestions.
    Stretching, yoga, pilates are also good too - especially for attitude and getting spiritually centered - very good for the soul. I hope you find something that works for you!!

Cindy- Man, do I admire your commitment to change. Your discipline and perseverance are very motivating to me. Thank you for that and keep it up!

Stratdl- Fantastic week - keep up the great work and take care of yourself!:flowerforyou:

Cpafford - Hey, you!!! great to see you!!

Love to all I missed! Take care and have a fantastice weekend - Try to stay cool,:glasses:

Janet:heart:
  • Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Hi walkers- Whewww I just finished my first workout with the 30 day shred. Kid- I was thinking of you when I did It. I did the entire workout. I can't wait to see how I progress. Janet- Thanks so much Hon !! So far today i've walked 2 miles and done the 30 day shred. I doubt I walk tonight. My muscles are burning from that shred. I think my plan for next week will be to walk 3 miles Mon- Sat. in the Am and do the 30 day shred every day pm. I'll swim most every day too. I used 3 pound weights today with the shred. I'm going to be using 5 pound weights from now on. I hope 3 miles plus the shred every day is enough exercise. I realy see the scale slow down alot when I don't get in enough cardio. I hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend. Cindy :heart:
  • stratdl
    Options
    Hi All! :flowerforyou:

No walking for me today, but I did have a nice upper body strength training session! Now my arms feel like jello!!! :laugh:

I did my 100 pushups challenge--Week 3, Day 1 (I'm repeating this week because last week was all messed up and I didn't get all 3 days in--besides, it's HARD and I need to do each week over and over again, I swear!!!).

Here's the rest of my upper body workout (in case you wanted to try some on your own):

1. Side shoulder raise with dumbbells
    2. Front shoulder raise with dumbbells
    3. Upright row with dumbbells
    4. Biceps curl with dumbbells
    5. One-arm dumbbell triceps curl
    6. Alternated dumbbell press
    7. Chest press (on weight machine)
    8. Seated row (on weight machine)
    9. Lat Pull-Down (on weight machine)
    10. Shoulder press (on weight machine)
    11. Bicep curl (on weight machine)
    12. Tricep (on weight machine) <- didn't do this one because someone was "camped out" on the machine and I didn't have the time to wait around for him to finish

The max weight I used with the dumbbells was 7.5 lbs and the max weight with the machines was 30 lbs (on the lat). Yeah, I'm a weakling, but I'm only going for toning, so as long as my muscles are feeling it, I'm okay with it. :smile: I don't have too much testosterone, so I don't feel like I have anything to prove. In fact, there was another lady doing the biceps curl with dumbbells when I was doing mine. I had 7.5 lbs, she had 17.5 lbs. To look at our arms, one would think that I'm the stonger one because my muscles show up more than hers did. That just goes to show you that our bodies are all different and that someone who may *look* strong is really not too terribly strong at all. :wink:

You all have a good day! Keep walking (if you can) and keep strong with your wellness/fitness lifestyle!!!!

• Kidvicious28
    Options
    I took a few days off of MFP. Needed some free time to do whatever. My friends came to visit me and we had a great time. I'm back on track now and I actually have motivation to exercise. :smile: I think I just need that little break.
    Just read through some of the posts I missed while I was gone and it looks like everyone is doing well! Deborah that's a great upper body workout. I think I'm gonna try it :smile: thanks for sharing.
  • emmie110
    emmie110 Posts: 176
    Options
    Hi everyone. I haven't ditched out of the challenge - just been so busy with school. After studying all day long yesterday, I just had to get up and go for a walk late last night. Walked 1.5 miles in about 35 minutes. Hopefully things will slow down in a few days so I get more walking in - I really miss it.
    Hope you all are having a great weekend. :drinker:
  • stratdl
    Options
    Just read through some of the posts I missed while I was gone and it looks like everyone is doing well! Deborah that's a great upper body workout. I think I'm gonna try it :smile: thanks for sharing.

Hey Jenna!

If you're anything like me, prepare for noodle arms!!!! :laugh: :bigsmile:

...best thing about the workout was that when I got home, I made a protein drink (chocolate whey powder) and put in a tablespoon of baking cocoa and about a half a tablespoon of agave nectar (for sweetening). I tell you what, it was like drinking a brownie! Yum!!!

Edited to say: and the whole thing was less than 220 calories!!!

• mouser79
    mouser79 Posts: 68
    Options
    I just joined yesterday but would love the challange
  • stratdl
    Options
    I just joined yesterday but would love the challange

Welcome to our challenge, mouser79!

• Kidvicious28
    Options
    hahaha I'll remember that maybe I'll start out with half of it bc I'm a server for the time being and having noodle arms would not be good haha

and that drink sounds delicious!:smile:
  • Cindysunshine
    Cindysunshine Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Good morning walkers :flowerforyou: I already finished 2 miles and it's 6.15 am. :bigsmile: I'm so glad I walked before it gets HOT ! I planned on doing 3 miles but a strange man started following me about 18 minutes into my walk. He made me very nerveous. I had my cell phone ready to dial 911. I hurried home. I lost him about a block from my home. Creepy !! I need to get a huge dog to walk with me. Like a 100 + pounder. Anyhoo- I am going to do day 3 of the 30 day shred and walk 2 miles tonight. That shred ROCKS!!! I can realy feel it in my abs! I never thought i did crunches right. I guess I do with Jillian. :smile: I hope everyone has a great day ! Lets log some miles walkers- :flowerforyou: Cindy :heart:
  • stratdl
    Options
    I planned on doing 3 miles but a strange man started following me about 18 minutes into my walk. He made me very nerveous. I had my cell phone ready to dial 911. I hurried home. I lost him about a block from my home. Creepy !! I need to get a huge dog to walk with me. Like a 100 + pounder.

Wow!

Now THERE's a reason to incorporate a little kick-boxing into your fitness routine! :laugh: Way to go, Cindy! I'm sure he was thinking to himself, "How in the heck can I keep up with that woman on her fitness mission!" Good thing you lost him!

Here was my workout today (still no walking yet :frown: ):

- 15 minutes upper body stretching this morning (gotta loosen up those muscles from yesterday!)
    - Core strengthening from http://www.deecompression.com/docs/Core Exercises.doc
    1. Bridge
    2. Single-leg abdominal press
    3. Single-leg abdominal press variations
    4. Double-leg abdominal press
    5. Double-leg abdominal press variations
    6. Segmental rotation

I didn't do the rest because I am not allowed to do crunches (after my spinal fusion surgery) and I didn't have a lot of time to do the rest. The above 6 exercises took me about 30 minutes. I intend to resume the rest either tomorrow or the next day. One really good thing about the Mayo Clinic exercises is that they tell you how to determine which muscle is your transverse abdominus. They say to cough and the muscle that you use to cough is the TA. Who knew?

Anyway, I hope you all had a good day and I thought I'd share this workout with everybody, in case someone can use it. :bigsmile:

• Tekamahmom
    Tekamahmom Posts: 15
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    It's been a while since I've checked in but I haven't had much time for anything it seems... I do get a chance to walk everyday though. I normally do 2 miles a day but there was 4 days that I did 6 miles b/c there were times I had to keep my little niece out of trouble and my solution for that was to make her walk with me.... lol I don't really think I've lost anymore weight though, which is depressing but I feel more energetic than I normally would.. The most weird thing is, is that I think I might have gained some weight back..:sad: I'll find out at the end of the week when i go in for my monthly check at the doctor... I'm really hopeing she says that i've lost more than the 2 pounds I lost at the start of the month.... Tha'd be awsome!!!!::bigsmile: I'll do my checkin as soon as I get done at the doctors at the end of the week.. My scale is messed up big time right now....:mad: Hope everyone is doing great with their walking and keeps moving forward with it.... To those that are struggleing with feet problems and everything else, I'll be rooting for you to pull through to get back where you want to be....