Marilyn Monroe

Options
124»

Replies

• My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Gotta ask this question......

Do you think we would have the obesity epidemic today if clothing makers hadn't changed the sizing?

Would people be more inclined to lose weight if they were a size 20 (in those days) versus a 12-14 now?

I read the average American woman is a size 14 today.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that Marilyn Monroe was and still is an icon of beauty and she was a size 14!

Depends on what country sizes you're talking. At her smallest she was North American size 4, and largest no more than a 10.

Here's her measurements:
    Height: 5 feet, 5½ inches
    Weight: 118-140 pounds
    Bust: 35-37 inches
    Waist: 22-23 inches
    Hips: 35-36 inches
    Bra size: 36D

Michelle Williams is 5'4" and 110lbs. Not too far off from 5'5" and 118.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    Gotta ask this question......

Do you think we would have the obesity epidemic today if clothing makers hadn't changed the sizing?

Would people be more inclined to lose weight if they were a size 20 (in those days) versus a 12-14 now?

I read the average American woman is a size 14 today.

It's definitely a possibility. I know for myself if my pants size was a higher number, I'd probably be working to get down to the lower numbers.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Oh..not again. :laugh:
    and just because I'm so tired of seeing that Marilyn pic used in these comparisons -
    Marilyn M was tiny, the only time she was heavier was during Some Like it Hot - the pic that's used above. Her dresses were custom, not off the rack and almost all were 34" bust and 22" waist, the DRESS - not her body wearing a waist cincher or torpedo bra.
    Measurements and dress auctions - http://www.deepglamour.net/deep_glamour/2011/06/the-full-skinny-marilyn-monroe-was-tinyand-so-were-rita-hayworth-judy-garland-grace-kelly-barbra-str.html. I believe she was something like 5'4 and 115 pounds. In a Simplicity pattern from the 50s she'd need about a size 12/14 for her bust, a size 6 for her waist and a 10/12 for her hips.
    My 50s dresses and patterns are all size 8 or 10/12 yet in today's ready to wear clothing I'm a 0 or 2. Granted, I have to wear a padded torpedo bra to fill the bust darts, but still. :laugh:

marilyn+monroe.jpg
  • Mom0fTwo
    Mom0fTwo Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I like the blonde girl from the tv show "smash", she isn't hollywood skinny, I like her :) she does a good marilyn
  • danibabs
    danibabs Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I dont think michelle williams is curvy. she does HAVE small curves but in my opinion curvy is J-lo, Beyonce, Nigella Lawson, Kim K...If that makes sense...it makes sense in my head though lol

Just my opinion...dont shoot.:flowerforyou:

Yea but none of those women look like Marilyn Monroe. Michelle Williams kinda does and I'm pretty sure she did gain a little weight to play the role.
    I agree with the person who suggested Scarlet Johansen, but maybe she's tooo distinct looking?
    I love Christina Hendricks but her boobs are wayyyyy bigger than Marilyn's were.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    I dunno...I think she pulls it off ....

michelle-williams-marilyn-monroe.jpg

She is gorgeous!!! And curvy. I think she is perfect :D Marylin wasnt chunky
  • Sarahbara76
    Sarahbara76 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone will ever stop using the thicker pictures of Marilyn to say she was a size 14 but I remember a lot more small pictures of her.
    Michelle Williams looks a lot like her but not exactly but that's OK , those are hard shoes to fill and I think she pulls it off and makes it her own.
    I can wear a size 4 in some labels and my measurements are 37-27-37 ..most labels actually ..Maybe I measure wrong I am 5ft 6 1/2 inches so maybe that's why.. dunno
  • gemmaldavies
    Options
    Christina Hendricks has thre most gorgeous curvy body or my girl crush Monica Bellucci - shes HOT!!!
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    There are curvy girls all over TV/ movies now. There's so many anti-skin and bones things that curves are showing up all over the place. If you're only focusing on the skinny ones then that's on you, but if you looked at Hollywood you'd see that curves are becoming much more prominent than they have been in recent history...just saying. Sofia Vergara, Jennifer Hudson, Amber Riley, Scarlet Johannson, Christina Hendrix, Christina Aguilera, Penelope Cruz, Kim Kardashian, American Ferrera....I could go on. They probably picked her because A) she has the face for it and B) as far as talent goes, she was probably the best for the part.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    There are curvy girls all over TV/ movies now. There's so many anti-skin and bones things that curves are showing up all over the place. If you're only focusing on the skinny ones then that's on you, but if you looked at Hollywood you'd see that curves are becoming much more prominent than they have been in recent history...just saying. Sofia Vergara, Jennifer Hudson, Amber Riley, Scarlet Johannson, Christina Hendrix, Christina Aguilera, Penelope Cruz, Kim Kardashian, American Ferrera....I could go on. They probably picked her because A) she has the face for it and B) as far as talent goes, she was probably the best for the part.

This. I've seen tons of Dove and Fruit of the Loom commercials that don't just have thin girls in it. There are women on it that have an hour glass shape, pear, banana whatever the heck shape you're looking for.
  • xo_morgan
    xo_morgan Posts: 298
    Options
    I dont think michelle williams is curvy. she does HAVE small curves but in my opinion curvy is J-lo, Beyonce, Nigella Lawson, Kim K...If that makes sense...it makes sense in my head though lol

Just my opinion...dont shoot.:flowerforyou:

Yea but none of those women look like Marilyn Monroe. Michelle Williams kinda does and I'm pretty sure she did gain a little weight to play the role.
    I agree with the person who suggested Scarlet Johansen, but maybe she's tooo distinct looking?
    I love Christina Hendricks but her boobs are wayyyyy bigger than Marilyn's were.

Well i wasnt suggesting any of those people play the role. i was simply explaining what i believe is the definition of "curvy".
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I love MM movies. Gentlemen Prefer Blondes is one of my all time favorite films ever. So cute.

I didn't see the Michelle Williams movie, but from the clips I've seen, she had the voice and mannerisms down pat, and they were able to make her look quite a bit like Marilyn. Finding a body double would be relatively easy. Finding someone who can ACT like her is another story.

Also, my hips are around 35-36 inches, 132#, and I wear a two or four, depending on the brand. Probably smaller if I shopped in more expensive stores. :wink:
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options

Yep. Marketing to the masses. Knowing your targeted customer works quite well. :wink:

I agree, she must have been best for the part.
  • paulamarsden
    paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    which would yuo pick out of the two on smash?

293.3smash.ls.2912.jpg
  • MFPAddict
    MFPAddict Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    which would yuo pick out of the two on smash?

293.3smash.ls.2912.jpg

I think Katherine McPhee is hotter but the other one looks more like Marilyn