Sodium, Sodium, Sodium!!!

Options

Replies

• dguetre
    dguetre Posts: 9
    Options
    Why isn't sodium on my food diary? Any ideas. As for reducing sodium - fresh and homemade. Rinse canned beans and buy low sodium soups and canned tomatoes.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    carbs make the body retain sodium (and in turn water). It's not that you're eating too much salt. The carbs keep your body from processing any excess sodium (it's build in the kidneys).

Cut out the processed, packaged foods; eat real, whole foods (this will knock out about 90% of the grocery store).

I have to make sure I get plenty of salt because my body doesn't hold onto excess.
  • Mrsairforce
    Mrsairforce Posts: 130
    Options
    My husband brought home a rotisserie chicken last night. He asked me if I wanted some so I came on here and looked it up, 620mg sodium in 3 ounces! For plain chicken! I told him I could make my own with 0 sodium. Its all about reading those labels and eating consciously.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Why isn't sodium on my food diary? Any ideas. As for reducing sodium - fresh and homemade. Rinse canned beans and buy low sodium soups and canned tomatoes.

You choose what you track through the settings. But if you go to the printable view, it should be there.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    The Egyptians used salt too, to enbalm their mummies 2000 years ago, and we still see them laying in musuems and exhibits......

thats enough for me to literally stop all use of a salt shaker and avoipd all , if its possible, processed foods..........it was hell weaning myself off of it, but my BP was increasing and I had to make changes

I dont buy anything that doesn't come from the perimeter of the store, except oatmeal..........

Salt is bad, and if you dont have high blood pressure now, give it time. , its hell on the body..........
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    carbs make the body retain sodium (and in turn water). It's not that you're eating too much salt. The carbs keep your body from processing any excess sodium (it's build in the kidneys).

Cut out the processed, packaged foods; eat real, whole foods (this will knock out about 90% of the grocery store).

I have to make sure I get plenty of salt because my body doesn't hold onto excess.

Anyone who is active really needs a good level of salts - esp potassium and magnesium.
  • mangozulu
    mangozulu Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's a helluva time getting it down. The key is homemade homemade homemade. Every time you eat something from a box, packet, tin or restaurant you're pretty much guaranteed to go over.

Look at my diary for today - about 1500mg over my goal of 2000. But then look what did it - the subway. If I'd have made that same sandwich at home, including making the bread myself... I'd have probably been able to get much closer.

The way I see it I'm eating about half the sodium I was and just gradually working towards wiping processed foods out of my diet altogether. I just couldn't do it all at once, I think I'd burn myself out.

Absolutely! I found exactly the same thing, avoiding packaged food is the only way to reduce sodium levels in the diet. I make my own soups and my own stock and find that freezing extra portions of what I've prepared helps with having some convenience once in a while. Added benefit is I have no time to sit and veg in front of the television! Increasing your potassium is helpful if sodium is a problem for you. Eat lots of fruit and vegetables:)
  • mangozulu
    Options

Anyone who is active really needs a good level of salts - esp potassium and magnesium.

This is true, although most people when they refer to 'salt' are thinking sodium. The only way to increase potassium and magnesium to optimal levels is to eat A LOT of fruit and vegetables.
  • laurarpa
    laurarpa Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    The key is homemade homemade homemade. Every time you eat something from a box, packet, tin or restaurant you're pretty much guaranteed to go over.

^^^ This!

I'm rarely over. I always choose low-sodium items when available (such as Eden no-salt added black beans in a can if I don't use dried beans, Health valley low sodium broth, trader joe's low salt roasted tomato salsa).

My favorite seasoning for all kinds of things is The Spice House blend called "Mr. Spice House" - the dried lemon makes food taste like they have salt.
  • Rebecca7476
    Options
    Good one Mardill.. Thanks.:flowerforyou:
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The sad truth is that many of us eat 5,000, 6,000, 10,000 mg of sodium a day without even realizing it.

Really??? Even the most sodium-laden restaurant food is usually around 2,000 to 3,000 mg of sodium. You'd have to eat that three times a day to get to those numbers, and even that is pushing it.

5,000 is maybe realistic, but 10,000???
  • mangozulu
    Options
    Does anyone here exercise?

http://www.healthcastle.com/sports_nutrition_sodium.shtml

The RDI's are a bit too black and white. The sodium needs of a couch potato are going to vary a lot compared to someone who is exercising regularly.

You are absolutely right, of course. But exercise has to be at a pretty rigorous level (or in the heat) before the general (American) population would need to add more sodium to their diet. Typically people get more than sufficient sodium at even 1500 mg for 1/2 hour at the gym or a 45 minute walk around a couple of blocks.
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    The sad truth is that many of us eat 5,000, 6,000, 10,000 mg of sodium a day without even realizing it.

Really??? Even the most sodium-laden restaurant food is usually around 2,000 to 3,000 mg of sodium. You'd have to eat that three times a day to get to those numbers, and even that is pushing it.

5,000 is maybe realistic, but 10,000???

Sad to say, I've done it myself. I was busy, ate out for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Had a bag of beef jerky, sunflower seeds (in shells), and a bag of chips for snacks. Plus the sodas. I got up near 10k that day. This was before I was diagnosed with high blood pressure. It wasn't everyday, but if you are as addicted to salt as I was you get your numbers up there pretty quickly.
  • deniseselah
    deniseselah Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's a helluva time getting it down. The key is homemade homemade homemade. Every time you eat something from a box, packet, tin or restaurant you're pretty much guaranteed to go over.

Look at my diary for today - about 1500mg over my goal of 2000. But then look what did it - the subway. If I'd have made that same sandwich at home, including making the bread myself... I'd have probably been able to get much closer.

The way I see it I'm eating about half the sodium I was and just gradually working towards wiping processed foods out of my diet altogether. I just couldn't do it all at once, I think I'd burn myself out.
    +1 on this. I used to eat out a LOT = super high sodium. Then I began eating home more, but still ate stuff out of a box (crackers with my chix salad, for example) and would always be way over. This week I have been eating a lot cleaner - frozen fruit/vegetables, salad and measuring out the dressing, lots of protein I cook at home - and I was surprised at how low my sodium intake has been the past few days. I used to easily be in the 4000 (!) range ... and now I'm well below 2500 and I feel like I'm not even trying.

ETA: I just went back through my diary and I should not be giving advice on sodium intake - I should be taking everyone else's! I have maybe 1 day a week where I'm around 1000 - the rest of the time I'm in the 2000-3000 range and I am pre-hypertensive so I really need to watch it. Thanks for the great tips.
  • Keeta83
    Keeta83 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I'm rarely ever over, but yesterday I had some turkey deli meat on my salad wrap and just that alone bumped up my sodium over 500 mg....which put me over my goal for the day. I sure won't be eating that again!!!!
  • AEC50
    AEC50 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    The American heart association's web site has some good ideas, check it out.

I agree! There are some awesome recipes: http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/Conditions/HighBloodPressure/Low-Sodium-Recipes_UCM_306800_Article.jsp#.T1Ddd_E7Uuc

I also cut out all those nasty "diet" frozen foods - many have a third of your sodium for the day or more. Most of the sodium in our diets doesn't come from using table salt - it's what's already in processed food. So, cutting down on processed foods is the best way to chop out sodium.
  • EBell83
    EBell83 Posts: 18
    Options
    I have a really hard time giving up boxed and canned foods, but I've made a consistent effort to use raw ingredients in just a few meals a week at first, and it does make a difference. There are a lot of quick ways to prepare your own food, if you're like me and you don't want to give up the convenience of pre-packaged goods. Jaime Oliver has some tasty quick recipes on his site that use raw ingredients.

I really don't eat a lot of fast food or eat at restaurants (the economy has improved my diet drastically), but limiting these will definitely improve your sodium intake, since nearly everything that comes from these venues his prepackaged or frozen.

I agree with a lot of others here who think that unless you are specifically medically directed to be on a low sodium diet, counteracting the sodium intake with extra potassium (it's part of a natural active transport exchange in your body--The Sodium-Potassium Pump, to be exact) and drinking plenty of water is acceptable. If you intake more potassium, the pump will work more (using ATP and burning calories) to remove the sodium in exchange for the potassium, and the sodium will be transported outside of the cell and excreted with waste. Use this as an opportunity to help your body work smarter :-)
  • byukid
    byukid Posts: 55
    Options
    I try to keep my sodium at 2000 grams a day. You can go over easily with processed and restaurant food. Drink plenty of water to flush your system.

That's milligrams. Unless you're actually dead.