How old were you when you had kids?

Options

Replies

• ladybg81
    ladybg81 Posts: 1,553 Member
    Options
    I was 27. I am definately a better mom then I would have been in my early 20s. And it is perfectly fine to wait until your 30s. Several of my friends (we are all 31 now) are just now having babies or are trying to get preggers.
  • tamazinglee
    tamazinglee Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I had my first son when I was 15 and my second when I was 17. They are 20 and 17 now and I am 35. Both children were NOT planned and I certainly wished that I had them when I was much older.....like now. I think I did OK at raising them but it would have been better if I'd had more life experience.
  • michellecorvin
    michellecorvin Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am 42 and my husband is 35. We had a little boy on July 25th and are thrilled since we were told I could not have kids. With low finances and age not on our side, we are done. LOL
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I had my first at 21, my second at 28 (the 7 yr gap was not intentional) and my 3rd at 31. I woudln't change a thing.
  • Nette_54
    Nette_54 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I was 31 and my ex was 42 when we had our twins, they keep my young and we are very close. By the time I was 30 I had travelled overseas, my ex had done a degree as a mature aged student and we finally settled down. Just remember the older you are the more likely you are to have twins particularly if there are twins on the mother's side but having twins was great as I had the 2 children I wanted in one go . . . . . lol
  • allybay
    allybay Posts: 17
    Options
    I agree with this, I was also 19. And now at 26 way better mom.
  • aj_gettingfit
    Options
    I was 19 when I gave birth. Best thing I ever did. :)
  • MamaKeeks
    MamaKeeks Posts: 234
    Options
    I gave birth to my twins when I was 37!

I almost lost my crap when I first read on my chart that I was considered "advanced maternal age" - what??!! According to who??!!

Let me tell you - I was far more prepared to have kids at 37 than I ever was at 27 or 20... I was too immature then, too into partying and playing the "consequences be damned" game... I was right to wait until later - but let me tell you - it ain't as easy to chase 2 four year olds around at 41 as it would've been at 21!!! Lol.

Best thing I ever did.

So do what's right for YOU.
  • giag09
    giag09 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    i had my son grady at 24 and my son 4months ago and i am 27 and me and hubby are done!! 2 beautiful healthy boys we are blessed!
  • catherine4211
    catherine4211 Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    26 & 29
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are 28, and don't plan on having kids for another 2-3 years... once he's out of grad school. I think this is perfectly fine, women in their 30s have babies every day. Meanwhile people of my mom's generation are telling me I need to have kids NOW before I'm too old!

So, I'm just curious, how old were you when you had children?

Everyone is different. You will know when the time is right for you & your husband. Don't rush it.

I had my son when I was 31. My husband & I used our 20's to stay out late with our friends & enjoy being young but, we also worked really hard to establish our careers. We saved up & bought a house, got married and, had our son. Given the choice I would do it all over again & not change a thing! :heart:
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are 28, and don't plan on having kids for another 2-3 years... once he's out of grad school. I think this is perfectly fine, women in their 30s have babies every day. Meanwhile people of my mom's generation are telling me I need to have kids NOW before I'm too old!

So, I'm just curious, how old were you when you had children?

I had mine at 25 & 28

It's nice to know in 4 more years my youngest will be 18, and I'll be 45; still young enough do enjoy being empty nesters :bigsmile:
  • msapril177
    msapril177 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    27 for #1 and 29 for #2
  • soon2bhotmom
    soon2bhotmom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I was 34 and 36. One of the older moms in the kindergarten class but so happy that I had my life in order first.
  • hope2webb
    hope2webb Posts: 421
    Options
    Don't listen to others!!! I had my first at 21. I am now 34, and I feel I am soo much in a better place to be a mom. The older you are the calmer at least for me I've become. I wish I was having my 1st baby now. My sis-in-law tells me that she's told that she's too old from the doctor or friends..can't remember which as well. There are soo many more moms having kids at whatever age these days. Just think about 20 kids and counting!! Don't rush it!! I wish I hadn't.

I agree with this^^^^I was 20,22 and 38...Don't regret my older kids at all, just wish I had waited til I was older..I feel much more patient and keeps me feeling young.
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Had my son when I was 21, and he is going to graduate from college this year. I'll be an empty-nester at 45!!
  • scotslass
    scotslass Posts: 317
    Options
    20 :-)
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I was in my early 30s for all three kids.
    I got married mid-20s, but we waited for kids until we had finished grad school, traveled, bought our house, and set aside a little emergency cushion. That's what worked for us.

I would not have been ready in my 20s. By waiting, I was more patient and never had any regrets over things I wished I had done.
  • Tasha_uk
    Tasha_uk Posts: 70
    Options
    I had my daughter at 17. Don;t regret it one bit. Love my cheeky little monkey like mad.
  • MissJenn33
    MissJenn33 Posts: 131
    Options
    I was 3 weeks shy of 26 with my oldest and 28 + 3 weeks with my youngest.