At what moment can you consider yourself a runner?

Options
13»

Replies

• sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    at the moment I notice a bad guy right behind me.
  • finchest
    finchest Posts: 245 Member
    Options

I was at San Diego Running Institute a couple weeks ago buying some running pants, a new sports bra and some gels for the half marathon I've got coming up next week. Had a conversation about this with one of the cashiers.

Cashier: How long have you been a runner?
    Me: Oh, I'm not a runner. I just run for cardio health and I'm trying to lose weight.
    Cashier: You run. You're a runner.
    Me: But I HATE running.
    Cashier: Then you're definitely a runner.

:laugh:

hahahah - so funny! i love that shop. i'm in san diego, too!
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    You're a runner.
  • SavCal71
    Options

Hi everyone my name is Sergio and I am "a Runner'.

and I joined a 13,100 step plan for that!

BWAHAHAHAAHAH! (particularly funny since I'm in training for a half in April)
  • SavCal71
    Options
    When it's pleasure and not a chore!

crap, i just ran a really hard four miles yesterday (not my longest run by far, but effort wise HARD) and it was DEFINITELY a chore. sometimes it is a pleasure and sometimes it's just pain hard... i guess i'm not a runner yet. :ohwell:

i'm guessing there are other runners out there like me who would admit that running isn't always a pleasure. :glasses:

After a particularly painful 8 miles yesterday, a friend reminded me that the 'bad' runs are the ones that make us enjoy the not-so-bad ones.
  • SaketoKim
    SaketoKim Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I run, but I'm not a runner. But thats just me.
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    The moment you're done lacing those shoes and hitting the pavement!!
  • runfatmanrun
    runfatmanrun Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    When you look forward to doing it or, jokingly, when you have what the physical therapist calls a runners injury, whichever comes first.
  • Nharley
    Nharley Posts: 201
    Options
    I'd say you are officially a runner. I don't ever think even if you stop for a while, you can ever be an 'ex', as long as you can run. I am 44 years old, got hooked on running in high school, stopped for about 10 years, started and stopped the last 10 years. Currently I am running and walking about 5 miles a day - maybe a mile of that running and enjoying it. I am doing a modified version of my own C25K. I too, do not think this time I will try to enter a race, as in the past it became a chore rather from the pleasure of running for exercise. That is just my previous experience with it. :) Keep up the pace and length until you decide you are at a comfortable running level. And enjoy! :flowerforyou:
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    I'll join in on the validation. You have received a lot all ready.
    I followed Hal Higdon's program and he adds helpful statements per day. At the end of his program/ when you've met your goal he adds, "Congratulations Marathoner"................so that's nice! And for you too!
    Congratulations Runner
    Runner Z.
  • jldaley09
    jldaley09 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I saw a quote when I first started running and it stuck with me... because it's true.
    "If you run, you are a runner. It doesn't matter how fast or how far. It doesn't matter if today is your first day or if you've been running for twenty years. There is no test to pass, no license to earn, no membership card to get. You just run." - John Bingham
    ^^ This...
    I am reading his book now called "No need for speed" It is a great book.
    I began running last year at 230 lbs.. I had to stop because of an injury but have started "running" again. I actually merely jog, and only for a few min at a time in intervals (I was doing a mile before I got injured) but to me.. I am a runner. I love it, I love how invigorated I feel when I run.. I think being a runner is a state of mind and it seems you are already there.
  • honeysprinkles
    honeysprinkles Posts: 1,757 Member
    Options
    Coming from someone who doesn't run at all and struggles to finish a mile, I'd consider anyone who regularly incorporates running/jogging into their weekly routine a "runner."
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the other replies, so ignore me if you've heard this already :happy:
    I think there is a switch in your brain (for want of a better description) and once it is turned on, then you are a runner. For me, I used to struggle along and try to run for longer and longer periods of time but it was a constant battle and more often than not I'd end up walking - at this stage I was still a walker and not a runner. Then I went on Outward Bound and one of my goals was to run the whole way in the half marathon, at the end, without walking - and I did. From then on I can go and run, the switch has been turned on in my brain and I am a runner! I'm not a fast runner and when unfit I run very slowly, but the battle has gone and I can run for as long as I want to go. I think part of it is coming to terms with the fact that the first 20-30 minutes of a run generally sucks - your legs feel like lead and your lungs are screaming, but during that time I hold on to the knowledge that if I can get through it then the rest of the run will be good.
    I have also had running dreams - which are a bit like flying dreams - where I am running along and it is that sensation when you have been on the road for an hour or so and suddenly your stride lengthens out and you are bounding along effortlessly!
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    Even though I started running in May 2009 (for the first time in my life at age 39), I didn't think of myself as a runner until this past January... after completing my fifth 1/2 marathon.

Before that I just ran... but something about completing that race with a good pace (for me anyway), made me think for the first time that I was finally a "runner."

But my friends have been telling me "you're a runner!" for several years now... I just thought they were being nice! :laugh:
  • lthgreen
    lthgreen Posts: 1
    Options
    Great quote! I read that in his book, "The Courage to Start - A guide to running for your life". It's a great motivational and informative book on running for people that don't (and may never) see themselves as "runners". Myself included...
  • u2fergus
    u2fergus Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Wow... some extremely encouraging posts here! I've wondered a lot about this myself (I'm another one who doesn't look quite like a traditional runner yet, although I'm getting there), and reading this thread just makes me so happy that I want to suit up and go out for a run as soon as I get out of work... who cares if it's snowing?? :bigsmile:
  • lscrapbookp
    Options
    The day I chose to run over my favorite thing in the world, ice cream, was the day I decided I was a runner. Now I run all kinds of races including marathons! Never thought in a million years I would run (since I was the type to get notes out of gym class), but I AM A RUNNER :) ! Hehe
  • DMB14896
    DMB14896 Posts: 14
    Options
    Your a runner the moment you take the first step and start lapping everyone on the couch.