How to drink more water

Options

Replies

• whatluckycat
    whatluckycat Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I use Mio - just a little squirt is enough to help me drink 6-8 glasses of water per day.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    just drink it. Like anything else its a habit you can develop, just like working out and eating right.
  • Tuffjourney
    Tuffjourney Posts: 971
    Options
    I use Crystal light, I am on a Medical Supv diet and I think my potassium was low or something... sorry not sure of what. But, the MD said to try to add Crystal light to my water. So, I guess it is ok to drink..:ohwell:
  • ryansgram
    ryansgram Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I flavor mine with crystal light but i dont use the whole packet. Just enough to give it flavor. Or i add just a splash of orange juice. I cant drink plain water either.
  • nora110
    nora110 Posts: 24
    Options
    I bought some zero calorie flavored water and I mix it with regular ice cold water. I'm getting some flavoring, but very little artifical sweetner or chemicals per glass.
  • Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I have found that water isn't so bad. I drink it better when it's not too cold. Like someone else said, I go to green tea for flavor. But if that doesn't kick it, I will get a propel. I don't typically count anything but pure water in my count, but these help me. And MIO is good too.
  • thcri
    thcri Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    just drink it. Like anything else its a habit you can develop, just like working out and eating right.

this^
  • bulletprooff
    Options
    At work I try to drink three bottles, knowing the 4th bottle I'll consume at the gym.

I find it is easier to drink water fast from a bottle if I pour it into a cup (one bottle is two cups) and because I am trying to drink a lot, I'll chug probably every other cup so I have an excuse to get up and walk to refill my bottle.

When eating meals, I find drinking through a straw to help consume more.
  • isaacs06
    isaacs06 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    It might sound funny but if I put a straw in my water bottle while sitting at my desk I will drink alot more. Not sure why but it works for me
    I do this too! I also have to have my water really really really cold - lots of ice.
    Hang in there - after a little while it becomes second nature and now i kinda crave it. (its 4pm and I've already got my 8 in - but will keep going!)
  • lorihalsted
    lorihalsted Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Get you an 8 ounce cup and fill it up everytime you can! I don't care for plain water either and try so hard to drink. Before I get coffee in the morning I fill my coffee cup up and just chug it...no ice or stopping. I kind of view it as taking "shots" back in day!!!! It's all a game to me but I find myself able to drink water if I just chug it.
  • beachgirl10
    beachgirl10 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I use Crystal light some days and Other I add lemon and/or orange's slices. Fruits are great to give a bit of flavour!
  • Littlemama76
    Options
    I don't have a problem with water, but I used to forget to drink it. I started to keep a refillable bottle with me at all times, and whenever I felt like eating something I'd chug some water and wait a few minutes to see if I was actually hungry. It helped me up my water intake quite a bit and after awhile it was just a habit.
  • ariant23
    ariant23 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    DONT DO IT!!!! YOU DONT NEED IT! There is NO SCIENTIFIC evidence that you need 8 glasses of water. it comes from a study that was misquoted about total liquid needed. the study mentioned MOST people will get MOST of their liquid from their FOOD. Google "8 cups myth" or something similar. Do your own research. If you LIKE drinking all taht water, do it. if not, DONT! Stop guilting people into it. Tea, coffee, crystal light, soda, everything but alcohol count for water... it's mostly water. :-)
  • Jennyisbusy
    Jennyisbusy Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I have a gigantic tervis tumbler that keeps water cold and holds 16+ ounces in it. Every time I empty the glass I mark the bottom with a dry erase marker and it is fun to add up all the tallys at the end of the day - it is kindof a game now.

:drinker: <
    water
  • mama2shi
    mama2shi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I use Crystal light some days and Other I add lemon and/or orange's slices. Fruits are great to give a bit of flavour!

mmm...orange slices - never thought of that and I love orange. Will have to try.
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I absolutely hated water, couldn't choke it down some days. I've found drinking through a straw helps. I try to drink at least one glass first thing in the morning before I leave for work. I have 32 ounce mug with a straw that is always on my desk and try to get 5-8 drinks every 1/2 hour or so. I will finish one mug before lunch and another one after lunch. I may have one or two cups when I get home, but not usually. Weekends are the hardest for me because I'm out of my routine. I don't see any problems with crystal light, but if you want to cut it out, maybe try cutting back slowly - only add 3/4 of a serving for a while, then 1/2, then 1/4 til you can get down to just water. You will get better at drinking it if you just keep trying.
  • stevewynjones
    stevewynjones Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I used to drink the stuff, but that got boring so now I just mainline the stuff...I'm sitting here with a 4" firehose pumping it into me as we speak..honestly!! :smile:

The only way is to drink it...pure and unsullied. :drinker:
  • burg1801
    burg1801 Posts: 124
    Options
    I got myself a 32 oz. nalgene bottle. I drink it full at the gym, then the rest throughout the rest of the day.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I'm with you! I absolutely hate drinking water! I'm rarely thirsty unless I'm working out or it's 110 outside!
    I also am repulsed by plain water even though our supply is of good quality.
    There is nothing wrong with Crystal Light. I even buy the generic diet koolaid and drink it all day long. Cherry is my favorite. Yes it has artificial flavors and artifical colors but if I drink plenty of it and it helps me lose weight and stay hydrated, I'm healthier than I was without it. :)
    Also my Dr. told me that you can count the water you put into food. For example, I add 2/3 or 1 cup of water to my oatmeal in the morning and I count it in my total. Juice bars, yogurt and fruits have water in them too.
    It is suggested that we drink a minimum of 8, 8 oz glasses of water per day.
    An 8 ounce glass of water is about the size of an American juice glass, not the huge bottles of water or soda that we tend to buy. I bought some cheap plastic cups (resusable) that hold about 8 oz and just refill them often. It's easier for me to see the bottom of that little cup and drink it than to stare at a tall glass and think, Ugh,, I do NOT want to drink that much.
    Good luck to you!
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Tell me about it. I have always hated the taste(or lack there of) of water. I still do, but I still manage to get down as much or more than I need.

There are three things that help me: 1. I hate the taste of artificial sweetener, so crystal light, et al are completely out for me. So, water is pretty much all I can drink without negative impact on my Calorie count and Carb count. 2. I have a water bottle with a straw that I keep full and in front of me at all times. Everything I look at it / think about it I drink from it. 3. Making drinking water a habit. I chug a couple cups at a time in the AM, with lunch, and at dinner. The quicker I get it down the less time I have to spend thinking about how much I don't like it.