WHY oh WHY do guys yell at girls? - rant

Options

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    What where you wearing while you where riding your bike? If it was a sweat shirt and sweat paints than I got your back on this one! If you where in a sports bra and short skin tight biking shorts then what did you expect? Men are stimulated by sight? Some men are more than others! I'm not saying they were right, but you didn't help matters if you flaunt what you got for the world to see! You can't have it both ways ladies. You can show us your goods and still expect us to respect your body if you don't! This is going to get me in trouble!!!!!!! But you wanted the truth right???????

Are you saying men can't be expected to control themselves?
  • alecta337
    alecta337 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I live on a college campus where we have a decent football team. I unfortunately live in the same building as the football players. They think that they are totally hot *kitten* and can do whatever they want because they get on TV a few times a year. There is a walkway that I have to walk through on my way to the front door of the dorm and on either side of the walkway (its a really wide walkway) there's thigh-high brick walls where the football players like to sit and hang out when its warm out. I call it the gauntlet of harassment. One evening I got some Chinese food delivered and went out to get it, having to walk past the crowd twice. It was about 8, but it was the summer so it was still day-light. Anyway of course they all started yelling at me. I have to add that I can't remember what I was wearing but it was probably jeans and a tanktop, I don't wear revealing clothing or high heels or really anything sexy when I am at school. But a subset of the group started following me, about 5 guys. I still ignored their cat calls and continued walking. I went into my building and one guy continued to follow me, I decided to take the stairs instead of the elevator so I would keep moving instead of standing still (these guys are all over 6ft and could l lift me with no effort, so I am shaking in fear at this point). So I am walking up the stairs and when he is half a flight below me I turn around and tell him "are you going to follow me all the way to my room and thats not a fu**ing invitation". I can't believe my voice didn't crack, I was so scared, and clutching my huge bottle of pepper spray in my purse, just in case he lunged at me. Anyway, he didn't say a word and just turned around and left. It was probably one of the scariest things that has ever happened to me. I never reported them, they never did anything like that again. I didn't even know who it was exactly anyway. I'm just glad they don't seem to bother me much anymore
  • alise_lmx
    alise_lmx Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I agree with you that saying stupid stuff like "show me your boobs" is just obnoxious. But I told a similar story to my mother-in-law, and she said something that kind of made me think twice. She said that someday, when you're older and DON'T get honks when you're running or whatever, you'll kind of miss it :) As long as no one says anything dumb, I usually give a smile and a wave back now, lol :)
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Alecta337 - that would have scared me. Some guys do their "cat calls" but are pretty harmless others can down right give you the creeps. I was walking home when I was in high school and had some guy park his car and come up to talk to me. I was wearing a shirt from my high school which happened to have my name on it, but this guy goes on to tell me that he loves my confidence and that he takes photos of models. Starts telling me I have the right look and some more BS...I quickly said not interested and kept walking. I was so close to home, I was freaked out he would have kept following me and known where I lived.

Another time, when I was in middle school...I had some guy approach me while he was on his bike and I was walking to school. He didn't creep me out as much and was older than me...but he simply said something along the lines that I will be an attractive woman as I get older. I was still in those awkward teens so it was nice to hear.
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I've seen it come from both genders when I was in high school, but one of the schools I attended was in an "urban" area so the ghetto mindset was prevalent. Many guys there thought the proper way to get my attention was with a "say, girl" and following me in the hall. If I didn't respond I was then called many rude names.

Unfortunately I've gotten it from older guys too. I've been in public places (and remember I am obese and short, so it's not like I'm a Playboy cover model) where men will whistle and howl and thrust their hips at me. I had two guys just a bit younger than me once follow me around a grocery store trying to get my attention the same way, though I think with them it was a joke. A guy in his thirties, with two toddlers in tow, tried picking me up in a Walmart once by just straight up coming to me, getting in my face, and telling me all the things he "wanted to do to me." Uh... yeah no thanks.

Regardless, it really is just immaturity coming into play. Like someone else said, they think they're the hottest things on earth and we should be melting and worshiping them for even acknowledging us, much less making it clear they want to bump genitals. With guys it's annoying and gross. With women... oh god. With women it's like watching a train wreck. There used to be a kiosk in the mall nearest me that sold beauty products and men often worked it for that sex appeal thing of having a guy rub lotion on your hand or buff your nail with a stone or whatnot. One time when I was there walking I watched a woman approach the only guy working who was obviously on break and she started loudly telling him what a big bulge he had and "damn I hope you ain't gay" and all this crap. Two weeks later, the kiosk was gone. It relocated, but between a kiosk selling e-cigarettes and Proactiv.

If you're gonna give a compliment, there's a certain way to do it. We evolved past cavepeople where we have to grunt and screech to attract mates.
  • saragato
    Options
    What where you wearing while you where riding your bike? If it was a sweat shirt and sweat paints than I got your back on this one! If you where in a sports bra and short skin tight biking shorts then what did you expect? Men are stimulated by sight? Some men are more than others! I'm not saying they were right, but you didn't help matters if you flaunt what you got for the world to see! You can't have it both ways ladies. You can show us your goods and still expect us to respect your body if you don't! This is going to get me in trouble!!!!!!! But you wanted the truth right???????

If a man was to rape a woman and blame it on her clothes, guess who would win that case? Not the man. Last time I checked men are as capable of impulse control and vulgarity as women and those that aren't are gonna have a hard time finding someone with two braincells to rub together for warmth to date.
  • Eva_H
    Eva_H Posts: 15
    Options
    Because society teaches men to treat women like nothing more than sex objects.

Rubbish. It works both ways now.

I've had just about every part of my body grabbed whilst out by women. Thats more than a whistle or a holla.

But of course, this thread like many is designed to get a pack mentality that men are all pigs and women are innocent, so carry on. You're no worse than the men, all the generalising in this thread...
    When this happens to you, does it make you fear for your safety? that you may be assaulted or raped or is it more of an annoyance.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I was with my husband (then new boyfriend) when he had a couple girls at a gas station yelling at him and trying to hit on him. They didn't see me in the car and were yelling that he's hot, nice *kitten*, etc. Eventually they saw it wasn't working and toned it down a bit and told him the liked his car, etc. They were really trying. He kind of nodded to them to say that he heard them but wasn't interested. He got back in the car and started to drive and to get out of the gas station we had to go right past them. Then they saw me. I gave them a smile and a little finger-wave. They looked a bit surprised to see the blue-haired goth chick in the car. They looked like they probably made fun of girls like me in high school. That was fun.

I haven't gotten hit on for a couple years. I worked in retail for 14 years and it was awful. What is it about a polo shirt and khakis that makes men think it's OK? I'm being PAID to be polite to you. It doesn't mean I have any interest in you.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options

I've had just about every part of my body grabbed whilst out by women. Thats more than a whistle or a holla.

But of course, this thread like many is designed to get a pack mentality that men are all pigs and women are innocent, so carry on. You're no worse than the men, all the generalising in this thread...

I agree with this ^^ I have seen women do similar things that are just as bad.

I personally don't care. I have been hollered at while running, I just laugh at the situation and forget about it
  • evansproudmama
    Options
    I feel ya! This happens to me every time I try walking at work ugh so annoying just leave me alone creepers!! Ugh i always ignore but today some workers where on the roof screaming hey mama at me ugh so rude! If my husband was there it wouldnt have been a pretty sight lol
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    maybe they think they are being cool doing that.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I was just out for a bike ride, and me outside exercising is NOT a pretty sight. Usually I'm sweating, covered in spiders' webs (I couldn't avoid it! YUCK!) and grimacing from exertion.

While I was puffing and panting up this hill, a 4wd filled with guys drove past, and they honked and hooted and yelled at me, and watched me as they drove past.
    Their stupid little faces peering out of the window, while driving a machine capable of killing everyone on that road.
    This happened 3 times!!

Ya, I'm sure that's more annoying then hearing guys yell 'youre a fat cow' three times on your run.

Girl, please.
  • saragato
    Options

When this happens to you, does it make you fear for your safety? that you may be assaulted or raped or is it more of an annoyance.

You realize men can be raped, can be made uncomfortable, and even fear for their safety and more by women who are too hands-on and a little nuts? Yes maybe the approved response from a guy should be that he's never afraid of a woman and can handle himself, but that's not always the truth nor is it always the case.

Don't undermine the crap that men get from women. We're as capable of this *kitten* as they are.
  • Anomalia
    Anomalia Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Because they are pathetic and no they have no chance of ever getting anywhere close to vagina so they terrorize women for sport.
  • onequirkygirl
    onequirkygirl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    90% of all guys hit the pause button on maturity at age 14
    it's why we play video games into our 40s and beyond :glasses:
    it's why we laugh at fart jokes our whole lives :laugh:
    it's why we love gross out humor :bigsmile:

with that said, I have never yelled out a car windor at a lady or hit her with a broom. Even that offends my sensibilites :huh:

*kicks rocks* I have yelled out the window at a hot woman. *hangs head*
    The broom thing never happened though.

HAHA,.,,,,,,you are hilarious so it makes up for it
  • taliesyn_
    taliesyn_ Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    It's moronic-pack mentality! Cut one from the pack and he'd be like Raj from the Big Bang Theory! :bigsmile:

THIS!! haha!

Honestly, I've seen a group of women do the exact same thing.
    It's stupid, but there is a down side to being hot.
    Not being hot, I've not had this kind of "compliment". I have had the verbal abuse though.
  • Crimson21
    Crimson21 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I've also had to deal with this kind of thing. I'd be walking down the street minding my own business when a car drives by and someone yells slut or *****....seriously??? It's not like I'm wearing a bra and panties...I'm in jeans and tshirt...
  • Clever_Girl
    Clever_Girl Posts: 114
    Options
    I constantly yell out to dudes "SHOW ME YOUR MOOBS"

hmmm...wonder if there's a thread out there somewhere about me...
  • Dawn200321
    Dawn200321 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Earphones and Ipod..you will never hear anything again LOL
  • hapoo100
    hapoo100 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I constantly yell out to dudes "SHOW ME YOUR MOOBS"

hmmm...wonder if there's a thread out there somewhere about me...

as offended as I would be, I would be compelled to do it